Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 2: The Corruption announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon 2: The Corruption; Spiderweb Software

Spiderweb has put up the Avadon 2: The Corruption website, we can interpret that as an official announcement. Coming to your Mac, PC, iPad in fall 2013.
Avadon 2: The Corruption is the second chapter in the epic Avadon trilogy. In this fantasy role-playing adventure, you will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure as you try to save your homeland from civil war and fiery destruction.

Avadon 2: The Corruption Features:
  • Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
  • Five different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
  • Uncover the fascinating histories of Avadon and the many lands of Lynaeus.
  • Many different endings. Will you be loyal to Avadon or switch sides and bring it down? The choice is yours!
  • Dozens of side quests, dungeons, and secrets to discover.
  • Hundreds of magical items to find. Use powerful crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.
  • Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with Avadon: The Black Fortress is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 2.

They're doing epic trilogies now, just like BioWare. Neat.

EG

Nullified
"Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with Avadon: The Black Fortress is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 2."
Yep, having to play the previous game is what makes me rage most about replaying a sequel.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The problem with spiderweb games is that your decisions in the previous games don´t amount to anything, as there is not save importing, very disappointing considering how the first one ended but understandable due to this being an almost one man operation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Compared to the Avernum's I thought it was kinda lame. Plus when I made a post about how unrealistic and uncreative the worldmap looked mister Spiderweb found it in himself to bitch about it. Saying it was just a game. Methinks he lost a lot of his previous attention to detail and creativity with his latest releases. Making them far less about worldbuilding than about hacking and slashing. Thing is, the best part of his games was the worldbuilding and attention to detail with the weakest point always being the hacking and slashing. Do hope he'll move away from assembly line developing but not very hopefull.

Dayyālu

Arcane
A huge problem with the most recent Vogel productions is... they're Bioware Lite. Avadon literally screamed- GENERIC BLAND FANTASYLAND WITH STUFF RECYCLED FROM PAST ATTEMPTS AND COPIED FROM BIOWARE ( the weird organization that I forgot even the name of aped the Shapers 'Absolute Power with responsabilities' - badly- interesting considering that they were written by the same guy).

I liked Geneforge for the somewhat original setting and the free choices. Avadon was disappoiting in every way possible, from the unnerving partners (that aped Bioware style sooo clearly, starting from the Bioware Brooding Male to the overeacting sorceress) to similar writing, to focus on boring hack and slash.

Meh. Maybe he simply ran out of good ideas. I'd preferred a sequel to Nethergate- even if almost comically cute on the historical side, there was something fascinating about that. Imagine a sequel in the III century, or one in the Near East civilizations. but they will require too much work for poor Vogel, and sell far worse than another generic fantasy RPG.

Achilles

Arcane
Thing is, the best part of his games was the worldbuilding and attention to detail with the weakest point always being the hacking and slashing.

Agreed. The combat system is rather shallow, most of the time combat is a hindrance instead of a challenge.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I agree that the world building is the highpoint of his games, especially the way they set up encounters with nice text descriptions or when you enter a zone and you get a written overview of what your character sees. His writing is better than 90% of the publisher backed games that are released these days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Avadon was horribly bland. Got bored after five or so hours. No idea how anyone could 'love' that game. A generic/streamlined 'crpg' for ipads.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can have a perfectly good old school cRPG on ipads -- the problem is Vogel makes games for the ipad generation. They're shallow time wasters.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah there's a difference between developing for the iPad platform, and developing for the general iPad user.

MCA
Apart from Geneforge series, when I read about Vogel's games, I get absolutely no inspiration to play any of them. They all look read the same, look the same, contain no thematic hook or anything else that's least interesting. I am amazed he has a following gulping his crap game after game. I'm deprived of old school games but I still have no interest in his simplistic crap.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, Avernum had the whole exploration of an unknown subterranean world going for it. Plus the first games had some great set pieces and encounter design. I really enjoyed that part but his move towards more hack and slash and simplicity in the systems is troubling.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
His development mentality is being shaped by consumer.

It is quite possible that having released his early, more complex games, he is now disillusioned and bitter, graduated toward turning out formulaic, prole-pleasing schlock, which inexplicably brings in a regularly sized chunk of money.

What's this, Future Me? You are thinking of killing yourself? Why hold on just a-

DAMMIT!

EG

Nullified
It's good for what it is.

It just isn't very much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom