Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

8 character parties

Zuikov

Educated
Ahh, the size of the party. I actually like having fewer party members because I hate excessive micro-management. I especially noticed this with Infinity games where I first played all the games with the normal 6 party member set up and later I have tried them again with only 4 party members and found the combat change into much better. It makes it more difficult in the right way. You can use all the characters fully without having to micro-manage them constantly(I haven't had much good experiences with the party AI in these games). I usually reload when someone dies in my party(especially if there's a romance going on!) so having only 4 characters makes each of them less vulnerable and a plus for me.

PST is an exception because it doesn't have that much combat and it has more interaction with the party members. Sure there is the negative side of having less freedom with party planning but I haven't found including special classes in your party making IE games too hard.

Does everyone in the Codex hate this on going trend of smaller party sizes or does someone have similar experiences with me?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm pretty conflicted about the whole issue.

On one hand, I love JA2 and customizing and "managing" my 18 mercs. It's great fun to hear their voices and reactions to different events. It's also great fun to think your tactics through and then execute them in turn-based goodness.

On the other hand, more players mean more frantic real-time combat where I often loose control of half of my party (NWN2, SoZ especially) and sometimes the chars don't come to life for me. Like in Natuk (where you have 8), my four melee guys are kinda just clones in my mind but the archer, xboworc, healer and mage have come to life - prolly because of their specialized role.

mondblut

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
On the other hand, more players mean more frantic real-time combat where I often loose control of half of my party (NWN2, SoZ especially)

Eh, why would it have to be realtime in the first place?

and sometimes the chars don't come to life for me. Like in Natuk (where you have 8), my four melee guys are kinda just clones in my mind but the archer, xboworc, healer and mage have come to life - prolly because of their specialized role.

Well, you can specialize the melee guys too. I had all my fighters specializing each in a different weaponskill, so an axeman was different from 2handedswordsman. Although after battling and looting dwarves I was seriously sorry I didn't specialize all in axes, hah.

Luzur

Good Sir
i never used any hirelings in the earlier M&M games, i just stripped them of their gear and took the dungoen keys they have in their packs and dump them in the Inn.

only time i took in hirelings was in M&M 8, when you started solo.

Luzur

Good Sir
Andrej said:
I spy... Crag Hack in the second slot, yes?

from left to right:

Sir Caneghem

CragHack

Maximus

Dark Shade

Resurectra

Kastore

Wartow-san

.....Gaylord? dammit cant remember the last guys name.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In a typical RPG 8 is way too many. More is not always better. Quantity is not always a quality on its own.
In a tactical game like JA2 - yes, in rpg - no thanks.

I like big parties, actually. It reminds me of the early days of D&D, where you would have four players, each with two characters (because at least one of them was almost certainly going to croak during the course of the adventure)
This is so... stupid. Im speechless. Where is the challenge ?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like 8 for turn-based. 4-6 for real-time with pause. 1 for pure real time.

Erzherzog

Magister
AndhairaX said:
AHA! So THATS why Volourn liked NWN, ebcause it had only 1 PC and i companion. To volly it means that it had more roleplaying.

I like your logic volly. You should join Bethesda, their game sonly have one pc!!! Can't get more roleplaying than that.

King of stupid comments right here.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
8 is too much, at least if you want to have real character development for them.

It could work in JA-ish RPG where you only control the characters equipment and they don't "level up" (instead improve the skills as they use them).

But still, it'd be more of a warband than a party, so it'd be hard to get attached to your characters. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

lordfrikk

Scholar
I like to play for myself, so only 1 character, I guess I'm probably all alone here on Codex, but what the hell.

My first playthroughs in F1 etc were with party but after a while I always felt like they were slowing me down, so I just dumped them near my item stash :lol:

sheek

Arbiter
Though 5 is usually all you _need_, I think 7 is ideal.

Starting with five you can usually cover every possible role (which four can't) but then you have no backup, if one character gets injured, separated or dies. Characters six and seven can cover two or three roles and add flavor (more unusual races, specializations, sub-classes - like a Hobbit or an Archer or something).

Anything past ten would start to be too much to manage with a typical moderately complex ruleset.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
Ebonsword said:
I don't know that any CRPG really exploited the possibilities that having large parties provides, though. For example, it would be cool to be able to split the party up and leave some members to guard the horses, or a strategic point in the dungeon while the rest of the party ventures onward.
RoA had splittable parties.

Actually, RoA is one of those games I really liked having lots of party member. You really need their skills in many situations. The Hunter is needed to hunt for food, the wizard to apply herbs on the sick, the warrior to help others swim across, the rogue to pick lock etc. It's not just combat options, but the application of their specialties. Heck, you can even send your jester to a tavern to play music for coin or the rogue can mingle in the crowd and steal coins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom