Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Gamasutra: DPS and the Decline of Complexity in RPGs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Schwarz

Eric Schwarz has penned another righteous screed for Gamasutra. Following in the tradition of his excellent polemic against cooldowns from earlier this year, this time he's criticizing the concept of "DPS".

Modern role-playing games really haven't gripped me in the same way that the older ones have. The reasons for that are manifold, but one of the biggest is in the way that developers have begun to adapt new mechanics and ways of presenting information which is at odds with the complexity that I expect from a good RPG. The influence of titles like World of Warcraft is felt far and wide - sometimes for the better, as in the case things like interface design, but also, in many cases, for worse as well.​

In this article I'd like to discuss what I think is the single biggest issue with modern RPGs compared to their predecessors from the 80s and 90s - the prevalence of Damage Per Second as a gameplay concept.​

After reviewing the design goals of DPS-using systems and why those systems came to be, Eric concludes that, while effective, DPS tends to be at odds with certain classic CRPG mechanics.

The first major issue I have with DPS is the most fundamental: standardizing damage types. While some games using DPS do tend to also maintain multiple damage types, the majority do not, instead treating DPS as a be-all, end-all number. Even those games that do have those different damage types tend to have only cosmetic effects. By contrast, the Infinity Engine games made famous by Black Isle were built around the Dungeons & Dragons rules, and as such multiple damage types were in play in any given battle. For example, instead of "physical" damage, there was slashing damage, crushing damage and piercing damage, all which affected different types of armor and different creatures differently (i.e. quipping staves or maces was critical when fighting skeletons, as slashing and piercing damage were significantly less effective), which promoted diversity in the party and made min-maxing less effective, and meant that even a "simple" fighter had wide utility value and some tactics to consider.​

This leads into the second major problem, which is almost a direct consequence of the first: standardizing character classes. In games which feature DPS, that DPS tends to completely remove any uniqueness in gameplay from different types of characters. It doesn't matter whatever permutations of a class you are playing - in virtually every game of this sort I have found that almost all of the differences between characters were not in gameplay, but in aesthetics. The fantasy of playing as a barbarian wielding a two-handed sword, versus the one of a svelte assassin backstabbing foes, is definitely a compelling one, but ultimately the only real difference in gameplay tends to come down to ranged vs. melee, and tank vs. damager - distinctions which already existed in other systems and, by virtue of the inclusion of DPS, have less depth to them than they would otherwise. For all their "diverse" character classes, most MMOs I've played have all classes feel pretty much identical, with the only major exception being Diablo III, which still pales next to earlier games in the series.​

And in closing:

The reason I bring this up isn't because I hate DPS and I think that DPS is something that shouldn't exist - on the contrary, it has worked very well for certain games. My problems with it are mostly caused by the way in which it has helped transform RPGs from a unique style of game with their own nuanced rule systems, towards action games with glorified progression systems. DPS has definitely been a boon as far as marketability and mainstream appeal goes - just like leveling up, it's an easy carrot for players to follow that is basically foolproof in significance - but generally speaking, all the classic RPG fans I know are very much aware of the differences in gameplay that DPS brings. The ones who have embraced it are primarily not of the same community that originally supported RPGS in the first place.​

You damn right.

hiver

DPS is a consequence of limiting gameplay to only combat as solution for everything.

Castanova

Prophet
DPS is a consequence of limiting gameplay to only combat as solution for everything.

Huh? No it's not. As Sea points out, DPS is a consequence of MMORPGs being the most lucrative type of RPG on the market.

Nice try but this discussion has nothing to do with your storyfagness.

hiver

A bit shortsighted, simpleminded arent you?
It doesnt have anything to do with storyfagnes, it has to do with limiting the whole gameplay to direct combat only. MMORPGS went down that same route.
Besides, there isnt only combat and story. Those are just two of many kinds of gameplay, (if you can call advancing the "story" a gameplay at all), not the only ones.

Environment interaction - where it limits and empowers different class abilities, - and influencing quests and solutions to them by any specific ability different classes have - went out the window long ago.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If combat is the sole focus of the game then doesn't it stand to reason that combat should be deeper and more interesting in those games? I understand what you're getting at - every class needs to be combat-oriented so you need to have a constant measure of damage - but that's not really directly related. DPS is a way of standardizing combat damage mechanics and that has little to do with how story-driven or combat-driven a game is.

sea That's right, you have a tag now, bro. :brodex:
Huhwha?

hiver

No, no... im not saying that your theory isnt correct. It is.
Im just pointing out that there are deeper reasons for it all.

for this:
transform RPGs from a unique style of game with their own nuanced rule systems, towards action games with glorified progression systems.

Again. Story and combat are not the only two kinds of gameplay and i didnt even talk about that.
If castanova is bloody stupid - it doesnt mean he has some fucking telepathic link into my mind.

made

Arcane
DPS is the consequence of games being real-time. In ye olden days all that mattered was Damage Per Turn.

hiver

And it all goes down to RPGs loosing different approaches and options for different solutions for quests, then narrowing it all down into direct combat as the only solution and only gameplay available.

hiver

oh - yes.
After all, what are the current "different" classes then different versions of fighters?
Rogue is a fighter, druid is a fighter, fing priest is a fighter, mage is a fighter - only using their specific abilities to fight. Rogue fights with his stealth skills, druids, priests and mages are nothing more than damage dispensers each using their own "magic" skills.

And it is all used to achieve single goal of killing the enemy as the only solution to everything.
An extreme binary choice of killing or being killed.

Sure, there are some smaller things you can achieve through dialogue (again an extreme binary choice of winning the skill check or loosing it) but the majority is just killing stuff, combat.
And generally speaking, those games that provide a wider array of solutions are considered better RPGs.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Good stuff.

Someone should cross-post this at the Project Eternity forums. It should make for an interesting discussion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sea is moving up in the world. He'll be shilling Doritos and Mountain Dew in no time!

Bulba

Learned
DPS by it self is no evil thing - sometimes it's nice to have an easy answer what weapon does more damage a mace 1d5+1 or a 1d7 sword. I would say that the problem is with the overall game design/encounter/spells and items that only differ by their damage. I can see why it's done - this way it's easier for the dumb ones to learn and play the game, while things like chance to hit/blind/stun etc complicates games. The only way this can be solved is through education of the masses and maybe in 25 years we can come back to coplicated games.

Unfortunately inteligent people want to work on good jobs, but if everyone is clever than who will clean toilets? so the more inteligent need to keep masses stupid in order to be able to consume more resouses and unfortunately this also means dumb games for them too...

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
If combat is the sole focus of the game then doesn't it stand to reason that combat should be deeper and more interesting in those games? I understand what you're getting at - every class needs to be combat-oriented so you need to have a constant measure of damage - but that's not really directly related. DPS is a way of standardizing combat damage mechanics and that has little to do with how story-driven or combat-driven a game is.

Nice polemic :salute:

now you know why for some reason, when you're playing an MMO, enemy groups always seem to take exactly 30ish seconds to defeat. It has nothing to do with combat quality and everything to do with making the player spend a pre-determined amount of time on the activity for pacing reasons (and in the case of MMOs, to artificially inflate the gameplay time spent with the hopes of getting additional subscription or cash shop dollars out of the player).

This prompted me to wonder if the one damage stat to rule them all approach (and the simplification of combat and looting in general) is also a crucial component of skinnerbox game design. If you introduce the need for analysis and reflection into the rhythm of combat and loot evaluation, you interrupt the click/reward flow and force players to use their higher brain functions to weigh the relevant factors and make a decision. Once you are making decisions, you can also decide to leave that quasi-fugue state of fevered clicking.

TripJack

Hedonist
guys i'm starting to suspect that sea didn't invest any points in his brevity skill at char creation

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DPS is just a measure of contribution in terms of raw damage. It has as much to do with dumbing down as Hit Points.

I don't think the concept of DPS itself has any particular impact in RPG design, the real issue is obsession with balance and streamlining, and the homogenization that results. Even wow was a victim to this.

The argument that the use of DPS has as one of its "goals" the abolition of to hit chance I found specially retarded. Removing chance to hit has fuck all to do with it, it's mainly about visual feedback as games became more action-y and detailed (think how retarded missing in Morrowind looked) AND design choice to make hit chance governed by the player instead of the RNG.

Repressed Homosexual
Poor Eric, him, the other Gamebanshee staffers, and Jay from Rampant Coyote are probably the only game journos still actively fighting the decline. All others are John Walkers rationalizing why Mass Effect, emulating movies and implementing feminist characters is the future of gaming with various levels of articulation.

Wizfall

Cipher
Excellent article.
Totally agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom