Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Andrzej Sapkowski doesn't like computer games, hasn't played The Witcher series

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Andrzej Sapkowski; CD Projekt; Witcher, The

There's an interview of sorts with Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski over at Eurogamer. Actually, it's more like a series of rants. Some snippets:

"I've never played any computer games, be it fantasy or others. Sometimes I read through dedicated gaming magazines or watch television programmes. Graphics and technology, sometimes, I admire. I cannot say anything about the plots, though. Apart from the fact that some types of games seem to lack any story whatsoever. Those seem to be all about the hack and slash."​

"The game - with all due respect to it, but let's finally say it openly - is not an 'alternative version', nor a sequel. The game is a free adaptation containing elements of my work; an adaptation created by different authors," he noted.​

"Adaptations - although they can in a way relate to the story told in the books - can never aspire to the role of a follow-up. They can never add prologues nor prequels, let alone epilogues and sequels.​

"If we level the field between books and their adaptations in other media, only the former can be the ones telling a story," he stated. "There can never be a different relation between a book and its adaptation, other than the one that without the book the adaptation would not exist at all.​

"I realise that current times accustom us - which I find terrible - to the strange convergence of media and the freedom of mixing them. To me as a writer, the idea to write 'adjuvant content' and create something 'complementary' to a game or a comic is an absolute pinnacle of idiocy."​

"I believe it is the success of my books that significantly affects the popularity of the games," he returned. "That in reality, the games used this fact, as my success beat the games to the punch.​

"The translations of my books into most European languages - including English - preceded the release of the first game. Long before the game - and it's a known fact - I was a well known writer, even there, where there have been no translations of my work.​

Read the entire thing for more entertaining Polish curmudgeonry. There's also an official response from CD Projekt RED.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It must burn his butt very much that to most people in the world who have heard of it, the Witcher games are the definitive version of Geralt's story, with the books serving as supplementary. :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The thing is, his direct environment probably tells him this is right, because the books, if I'm not mistaken, are wildly popular in Poland and some other Eastern European countries. So one can understand why he'd get the impression his popularity would drive the game's popularity. Though he doesn't have to sound so much like a dick about it.

But for the rest of the world, truth is most of us never heard of the Witcher before the games hit. If there's any interest in reading or hopefully translating and properly releasing his novels in English, it is likely to be pretty much completely due to the games. I don't see how that's a bad thing, but he sounds pissed off about it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should've asked him whether "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna" was the true epilogue. :troll:

The thing is, his direct environment probably tells him this is right, because the books, if I'm not mistaken, are wildly popular in Poland and some other Eastern European countries.
You have no idea. In the part the local distributor keeps printing tne novels round the clock. I think my copy of "Elven Blood" was already the fifth printing and that was ten years ago.

A user named cat

What a douche. The books probably suck as bad as the games.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
He does realise nobody's even bothered to fucking translate more than two of his books into English at least and probably most other languages? :lol: Clown. I'm no huge Twitcher fan, but this isn't cool of him. CD Projekt obviously have a lot of love for the universe, and he's pretty much leaning off his high horse and shitting on them.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It was long known the guy is an ass.

The books are standard fantasy pulp, full of half naked big breasted sorceresses and macho grimdark Witcher, quite terrible and mostly popular with teenagers. However, he wrote a really cool low-magic semi-historical trilogy after that, full of historical references, old language etc. Terrific setting, and very enjoyable, light reading, much better than the Witcher stuff.

It doesn't make sense to compare different media, but I do think the first game was a good effort, it had really good music and atmosphere, and pretty 3d visuals. It's much better than say Dragon Age.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While it is true that he was known before the games came out, he can't deny the fact that playing (or even hearing about) the games brought in new readers.

Here in Bulgaria lots of folks have picked up "Вещер" (Bulgarian title) series only after playing the first game. So it wasn't only the games riding on his success, but his work also benefited from the success of the games.

I also disagree with him that expanding a fictional universe beyond the original medium is an "absolute pinnacle of idiocy". First, it can bring in more money. Like it or not, that's pretty important if you don't want to live under a bridge. Second, you don't need to compromise your artistic vision - just make sure you write good licensing deal. Third, books, games, movies, comics, etc. are not mutually exclusive forms of entertainment. Each and every one of them have their good and bad sides.

It is strange that he boasts that he never played any games. I know I would like to see what other people created based on my original ideas. So it seems to me that he is getting a bit high on his ego with this.

Andrzej Sapkowski said:
A story can only be contained in a book.
Really? PS:T didn't have a story then? Movies can't have a story? Plays can't have a story? That is bullshit. A book can tell a story using narrative elements that are available in that form, a game can tell you a story using different devices. That doesn't mean that one is better than another. This is doubly smelly bullshit considering that he says himself that he didn't play ANY games.

Eurogamer article said:
Sapkowski is currently in the process of writing another Witcher novel that's already contracted for release in English.
Sapkowski said previously that he won't be writing any more Witcher, but now that games sold shit loads of copies he's writing more? Hypocritical bastard.

Having said all that, I still enjoy his work (not only Witcher, Hussite Trilogy is awesome too). I also like what CD Projekt RED did based on his work. He's just one of those writers that should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves and stick to writing.

And now for some potato text:
Panie Sapkowski, jeśli, jakimś cudem Pan to czyta, radzę zająć się pisaniem książek, a nie krytykować rzeczy których Pan nie zna i nie rozumie. Tworzy Pan ciekawe światy i bohaterów, ale, coś mi się tak wydaje, że obecnego świata rozumie Pan coraz mniej.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The books are standard fantasy pulp, full of half naked big breasted sorceresses and macho grimdark Witcher, quite terrible and mostly popular with teenagers. However, he wrote a really cool low-magic semi-historical trilogy after that, full of historical references, old language etc. Terrific setting, and very enjoyable, light reading, much better than the Witcher stuff.
The Hussite Trilogy?

EDIT: Lots of edgy mature readers ITT.

asper

Arcane
The Hussite Trilogy?

Not liking pulp on the level of D&D fan-novels has nothing to do with being "edgy".

Yeah, The Hussite Trilogy. It is also a lightweight romp, but it has excellent language, historical details, and a very interesting setting.The appendix where a lot of the references are explained is very fun to read, I'd recommend it to any history buff. Simply on a whole different level than the Witcher, which are basically like novels written by a Bioware forum member, but without the grammar mistakes..

evdk

Patron
The Hussite Trilogy?

Not liking pulp on the level of D&D fan-novels has nothing to do with being "edgy".
I have read lots of licensed novels and let me tell you they are of different level of quality completely.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, it's known that he hates everyone and everything (except books and writing I guess). He would fit right in Codex, if only he was obsessive about certain games instead of books.

Actually he is a pretty good fantasy writer and I say this form reading some of his novels that are obviously badly translated in English. Too bad I can't read Polish or a decent translation. There is speculation that the English release of Times Of Contempt was pushed back because Sapkowski wasn't happy with the translations.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
More relevant Codex news - Sapkowski is also a communist and an alcoholic.

Also, I don't care about the setting, the Hussite trilogy was awful, one of the most schematic books ever written.

Witcher books are great when you read them as a 15yo kid, you might be in for a disappointment if you try them as an adult.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like when he shuts up and writes, not the other way around, so please don't give him any more interviews.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The poorly translated booklet included with the first game was my first contact with his writing. And last. Funny how the games probably ended up being better without his involvement.

Mrowak

Arcane
As much as I like Sapkowski, it's clear that he allowed the prejudice to cloud his judgment. For example he is right in the claim that no video game story has been as well realised as in his single novel and will never be.... but part of it is just immaturity of the medium - we are still at very early experimental stages when it comes to gaming.

He completely ignores two facts: first, different media have different strengths, so you do have to make concessions and adapt the given material. Obviously, the game as a storytelling carrier would (or should) shine in different areas (e.g. interactivity) than a novel. Secondly, for all his smugness about superiority of novels he forgets that for approximately for 150 years since the first one was published, novels were not regarded as a :obviously: entertainment. Actually no true gentleman would give them much value - it was the a pastime for bored housewives and plebe, until Dickens and Twain popularised it even more in the middle class. As a scholar his attitude should ring some alarm bells in his head and the parallels between games and novels ought to be clear.

That he does not treat TW games as cannon is not surprising. The games made too many changes, and do are not really that close to the spirit of the original. If he had bothered with artistic oversight things could have been different. Generally it is a great shame Sapkowski is not involved in the project - knowing his perfectionism and flair those games could have only benefitted from it. Unfortunately these days he grew all Codex bitter and half-drunk he just whines about how reality cannot meet his expectations. I think if he worked on a large project of a different kind it could assuage his writers' block he noticeably cannot deal with.

He is just unwilling or unable to see the potential the medium offers. I guess it's true that you cannot teach the old dog new tricks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom