Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress Review at Gamebanshee

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Eric Schwarz; Reality Pump; Two Worlds II; Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress

Having thoroughly reviewed (and criticized) Two Worlds II a few weeks ago, Gamebanshee's Eric Schwarz now turns his attention to the Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion pack, noting the content improvements it has compared to the original game and generally praising it a lot:

Like the main game, Pirates has its share of flaws. However, a much more consistent story and tone, more imaginative quest design, an interesting world to explore, and more, all add up to make this add-on a significantly more enjoyable experience than the original game was.

[...[ What starts out as a simple and predictable treasure hunt plot quickly transforms into a much more complicated story, with a surprisingly large cast of characters and convoluted backstory. This only becomes more engaging as the expansion goes on, and unlike the original game's story, Pirates rarely meanders, instead using its new quests to add more and more layers. The pirate theme and the central characters actually end up dwarfed by larger things very quickly, and I was impressed to find that it was more than just a gimmick in the end.

Where Pirates also shines is in its choice & consequence. While not as extensive as other games, there are a few big choices to be made during the story that can lead to fairly different story outcomes, and certain quests will be made available or cut off based on the things you do and say. There are even a few opportunities to lie, misdirect or backstab different characters; in the hands of some developers these could have come off as simple good/evil choices, but Pirates has quite its share of morally ambiguous situations and characters to make these decisions interesting.

[...] Overall, Pirates of the Flying Fortress is a very solid addition to Two Worlds II. I can say that I enjoyed it significantly more than the original game, both due to its more focused, interesting story, as well as its improved gameplay; at 10-15 hours, there's more than enough content to justify the asking price (especially as it's now included with the game's Velvet Edition, and can be purchased separately for a pretty low price). While a lot of those old problems with Two Worlds II remain, overall, Pirates of the Flying Fortress is a great example of a developer improving on their original formula to make a new game that isn't just more of the same, but surpasses its source by leaps and bounds.

If this is what Reality Pump are capable of now that they've got more experience under their belts and time to create a more polished and consistent product, then I am very eager to see what awaits the Two Worlds franchise in the future. As more and more developers turn to making action games first, RPGs second, this rising Polish team could well become one of the genre's better studios.​

Hmm, I gotta say I'm tempted to try it out now.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is like that thing Commie was saying saying months ago...Good to 'sea' we are on the same page here. :smug:

Really though, Two Worlds 2 didn't seem like it knew what it wanted to be: they tried to fix the problems of the first game but instead of taking it further into the Gothic territory they added some dubious next gen 'features' as well. It kind of meandered between Gothic and Oblivion in a way.

With the expansion they concentrated on the bits they really did well in the original and made a much more focused experience. A shame that it's not all that long but considering it's basically all part of the 'main plot' and not filler side quests and random encounters and backtracking, it's probably the equivalent of length of most RPG/ARPG main content. Shit, DA:O's central plot wouldn't be any longer, neither would Skyrim or any other ES game where length was artificially added by forcing you to grind side quests to reach some 'level' before you could continue on the main game.

In a TW3 I'd like an extra 10 hours on the main line and have a world worth exploring for extra things, benefits, side quests for maybe another 10-15 hours tops to make the game world feel epic without getting grindy or repetitive. It's a fallacy that every RPG needs to be 100 hours in length especially when no developer can make the content maintain quality or interest for much more than half that length at best.

Other game mechanics also need to obviously be fixed but considering so few ARPG's get combat right even something approximating Gothic 1 and 2 would be great so long as the content is worthwhile.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It seems Reality Pump isn't working on a Two Worlds 2 sequel (even though it was very succesful) but on some grimdark Witcher/Alan Wake clone called Sacrilegium

I like this developer. They just work on their games and manage to be quite succesful without all the retarded marketing hype and chest pounding of fellow potatoes CDPR.

Everyone needs to take a break from making the same thing I guess. Expect a TW3 after it, although personally I'd love for them to make another EARTH 21XX RTS with the quality and innovation of Earth 2150 first.

I'm glad to see they are using a modified TW2 engine. It looks and runs fantastic even on my ancient rig so it deserved more use.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It seems Reality Pump isn't working on a Two Worlds 2 sequel (even though it was very succesful) but on some grimdark Witcher/Alan Wake clone called Sacrilegium
That might be true. All I know is I've heard that Two Worlds 3 is in the works at least at some level. It's possible the publisher issues are getting in the way, or maybe they do just want something different outright.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still haven't gotten around to this yet. Wondering if I should bother with the world merge mod or just play it 'vanilla.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom