Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ultima VI Nuvie Interview at The Ultima Codex

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: NUVIE; Ultima VI: The False Prophet

The Ultima Codex offers a brief interview with Eric Fry, the developer behind Ultima VI Nuvie, a re-writing of the Ultima VI engine "using the original game data" and including some new features such as fullscreen support. Have a snip:

Ultima VI’s original interface was somewhat clunky to say the least. What are some of your least favourite aspects of the original?

Funnily enough I actually liked the old keyboard interface. I didn’t like the key system though. I thought it should have automatically found the corresponding key in your inventory and opened the chest or door for you. This was one of the first enhancements that went into Nuvie. I think the thing that really got me with the original was the rest system. I always wanted a rest until sunrise option. Another thing that I thought spoiled the game for me was the spam cheat. I couldn’t help myself. I always spammed up items. It was just too tempting. Obviously it’s great now while developing Nuvie. I probably use it 5 to 10 times a day.

Being a 20 year old game, is there any aspects of the original code you’ve found particularly difficult to decipher, or are particularly arcane today?

As I mentioned before, most of the original game logic is hard coded in the game.exe file. This included weapon/armour stats and all the monster/npc worktypes and object usecode. This greatly increased the amount of effort required to reverse engineer the original logic. I had to disassemble the original game.exe and go through the assembler code line by line looking for the original game logic. I’ve never seen the original Turbo-C code, but I can imagine it was a bit of a mess. There are massive switch statements in the game which were quite convoluted to trace though! The magic system for example runs out of a giant switch statement with 80+ cases.

Savage Empire and Martian Dreams, I can’t wait to see them being supported. Are there many differences under the hood between those games and Ultima VI?

Martian Dreams and Savage Empire have a few differences when compared to Ultima VI. They use a new font system and have some new conversation operations. They do seem to be more similar to each other than to Ultima VI. I think the main thing is they are a lot smaller in scope. Hopefully once Ultima VI support is done we will be able to implement Martian Dreams and Savage Empire quite quickly. I think having them freely available through GoG.com will also help in gathering support for their development in Nuvie.​

For the full interview, click here.

Dyspaire

Cipher
I remember buying a new i386/33 system around late '89 or so, designed solely for being able to play U6 to its full potential. If you want to know what the cutting edge of pc graphics looked like in 1990, it was U6, Wing Commander, and KQ5.

VGA was really something in its day. Shit looked real, as the kids are wont to say. Sound Cards... man... in the space of about 18 months, pc gaming went from mostly silent and 16-color, to 256-color VGA graphics with musical scores and sound effects. Speech followed shortly after.

Probably the fastest and largest leap in gaming presentation ever, I would think. Everything else seems more incremental to me... even the migration to 3d.

Crazy to think that Ultima 6 was the Skyrim or Crysis of its day... presentation-wise, at least.

Martian Dreams and Savage Empire were like little bonuses at the time. All three games are must-plays.

Still highly playable today too.

2c

Severian Silk

So, is Nuvie going to be available on GOG, or the original Origin versions only? I can't tell based on his comment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
scummvm was sold by lucasarts - didn't even need the authors permission or making the game data itself GPL since the engine was LGPL (linking doesn't 'spread' the gpl'ness).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
scummvm was sold by lucasarts - didn't even need the authors permission or making the game data itself GPL since the engine was LGPL (linking doesn't 'spread' the gpl'ness).

Eh, GOG wouldn't do that. There's no need to, the game works fine with DOSBox. U7 doesn't come with Exult after all.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's because exult is not nearly so bug-free as scummvm for lucasarts titles. Exult is kinda dead now, or at least smelling funny.

Actually, it's funny, one of the guys from exult is doing a android java port:
http://exult.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/exult/ExultAndroid/src/com/exult/android/

Guess they got tired of memory leaks
That's the first I've heard of Exult dying! What do you base this on? I'm just curious as Exult has been something I've used for many years and always hope it will one day be as close to bug free as possible.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I base it on only one 'new' (not really, but not 'founder') main developer working on it very intermittently for the last year (marzo), and the others moving on to other engine projects (like wpj). Marzo is probably working on the major bug outstanding now (random object corruption due to schedules object mishandling) but hasn't fixed it yet.

I also base it on the number of commits not related to the Android fork (not the same code base):
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=exult-cvs-logs

If you look back you'll see that the majority of the commits are Android work, and where they aren't are Colorless - the webmaster that has commit access - tweaking the MacOS bundle/build scripts or changing the site.

Still, since it's summer now, there have been a few code additions in the last week. Nothing significant yet though (library updates)

edit: in fact, these are all the 2012 commits (scroll down to see the last for the affected file):
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7128] exult/trunk/configure.ac <dominus@us...> 10 2012-07-19 22:43
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7127] ExultAndroid/src/com/exult/android <jsf@us...> 349 2012-07-17 04:59
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7124] ExultAndroid/src/com/exult/android/ UsecodeIntrinsics.java <jsf@us...> 4 2012-07-09 05:15
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7123] exult/trunk <malignantmanor@us...> 357 2012-07-06 06:07
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7122] web/trunk/content <dominus@us...> 3 2012-06-18 22:36
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7121] exult/trunk/Info.plist.in <dominus@us...> 1 2012-06-15 22:12
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7118] exult/trunk/Makefile.mingw <Kirben@us...> 6 2012-06-01 08:51
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7113] ExultAndroid/src/com/exult/android/ShapesVgaFile. java <jsf@us...> 1 2012-05-07 05:42
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7111] exult/trunk/objs/chunks.cc <marzojr@us...> 1 2012-05-05 01:30
[Exult-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: exult:[7109] exult/trunk/content <dominus@us...> 1 2012-04-22 18:26

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It pretty much is - a open source project that depends on one person and is extremely complex and 'mature' like exult inevitably stalls because of burnout. In scummvm there is a floating core of 3-15 developers that are always goading themselves to integrate new code from one's another engine projects and reviewing eachother's code

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Exult's history has always been spotty. Sometime a lot of activity then sometimes slow. It's been that ways since 2000 when the project was first announced.

On topic: I really hope he can add support for Martian Dreams and The Savage Frontier. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom