Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3; Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

RPS took a look at the recently released Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC. Needless to say, they are absolutely delighted with the stunning job BioWare did with this, how they've maintained their integrity and artistic vision and so on and so forth, I luv you, BioWare.

But importantly, they’ve also addressed some of the very valid issues people raised. I’d say the big two were: how on Earth was the Normandy back at Earth again?, and why didn’t the whole galaxy explode when the mass relays were destroyed?

The former is dealt with really nicely. They took out the mistake, and added in a brand new scene where you see Joker landing near the Reaper they’re trying to take out. Whichever two crewmates you took with you are then rescued before the giant laser beam obscures the screen (which also “fixes” the other bit where people decided they were dead, without having seen them die, and then threw their food at the wall and shat their pants.) And for me, it added a bloody excellent moment, as Garrus, my beaux, looked at me from the boarding platform with loss and pain in his eyes, and found the words to tell me that he loved me. Sniff.

Corvinus

Arcane
Not much else to say than :decline:. The end was better when they "died". Not that it wasn't idiotic already, but at the very least it was no "herosavesthegalaxyandliveshappilyeverafterwithhisalienlovers"-type of ending.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not much else to say than :decline:. The end was better when they "died". Not that it wasn't idiotic already, but at the very least it was no "herosavesthegalaxyandliveshappilyeverafterwithhisalienlovers"-type of ending.

I disagree. After investing all that time gathering forces, keeping all my team alive, making peace, fucking everything, collecting fish and space models I fucking better have the chance at an ending where everyone lives and I get to live at least somewhat 'happily ever after'. Had it been something without any choices and you just did stuff and shit happened like in Deus Ex, then I'd be fine with an 'everybody dies' ending as the only option.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I disagree. After investing all that time gathering forces, keeping all my team alive, making peace, fucking everything, collecting fish and space models I fucking better have the chance at an ending where everyone lives and I get to live at least somewhat 'happily ever after'. Had it been something without any choices and you just did stuff and shit happened like in Deus Ex, then I'd be fine with an 'everybody dies' ending as the only option.

What you failed to realize was the telegraph back in Mass Erect 1. You're assigned to the specrte "Nihlus", which sounds kinda close to nihilism. This entire series has shown you that your choices are ultimately meaningless and the universe doesn't give a shit about you.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Bioware manages to stay in business solely because they attract those unable to differentiate between form and function. This makes for a very specific intelligence threshold, one they must hit precisely with every game.

There is a certain perfection to the end product's mediocrity.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, does this at least give reasonable closure now? Or is it still bullshit?

Haven't played the game yet.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Haven't played the game yet.
IMO, it helps. It doesn't fix all the plotholes (they would have to redo the whole game :P ), but at least you get to know what happens during the final battle, instead of being left in the dark like it was before.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It gives (more) resonable closure now, but the core bullshit is untouched. So, both I guess. Such are the wonders of the Mass Effect series, the ability to be both extremes at once. Like having maxed out paragon and renegade. Or being a pure action game and a hard-core CRPG. All at once.

The funny thing is that people are still butthurt. :smug:

It's called emotional engagement.

There's actually some wisdom to that. Tragedy has been rarely done in games, and the few times it has been done reasonably well, the endings have been memorable as fuck because of it (pretty much all of PS:T, the ending of FO1, lots of adventure games come to think of it - the 'bittersweet achieve some moral victory but you don't win and get the girl, and either you and/or other major characters die or return to your grimy start-of-game existence' ending was commonplace in the better adventure games, and worked damn well (I have no mouth but I must scream, Grim Fandango, Under a Killing Moon, A mind forever wandering (text adventure)).

But to do it, you have to be willing to make a LOT of people buthurt for a while. How many folk semi-raged when they replayed the options in PS:T or FO1 and realised that no matter what they do, TNO dies and goes to hell for near-eternity, or that the Vault Dweller saves the world but ends up an exile? Some folks just want everything to work out ok, and it isn't until they're accidentally exposed to that kind of ending, and then they realise 5 years later that they still remember that fucking book/film/game when they couldn't give a shit about all the 'and the hero saves the world, gets the girl, lives happily ever after' stories they encountered over that time, that they start to appreciate it. Actually, if Bioware had borrowed their own metaphor, and said 'ending a story is like sex, if you do it well it should leave you a little bit buthurt', I'd gain some respect for their vision, although it would raise questions about their ineptitude at pulling that off.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually Azrael, the comparison with PS:T is not accurate. The whole premise for that game was always the need for some kind of absolution for past sins. FO1 didn't ever promise any kind of post adventure future for your character either. Mass Effect on the other hand made the whole idea of uniting the galaxy, bringing peace, curing the Genophage, saving people, finding personal happiness etc. a core of its design. People were right to have expected a 'happy' ending as one of the possible ones if they went to all the trouble to make it happen rather than just breezing through the series, having most of their crew killed off and getting rid of one or more of the races. This is standard space opera fare all the way through. Going all grimdark for the last 5 minutes in a crude attempt at 'emotional engagement' just doesn't work.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Instead of three different colors, we got perfectly identical stills.

Yeah, it's a lot better.

Stinger

Arcane
Dude, did you even play the game you idiot? The synthesis ending had green stuff all over the stills.

THAT'S HOW YOU FUCKING DO C&C!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'd like to add that Fallout's ending never really came across to me as bitter for the simple reason that it wasn't a big loss. I mean, after you've explored the world and practically become a god, why would you WANT to go back to the Vault?

Black

Arcane
I'd like to add that Fallout's ending never really came across to me as bitter for the simple reason that it wasn't a big loss. I mean, after you've explored the world and practically become a god, why would you WANT to go back to the Vault?
To shag pure women and create your own harem.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
While TNO is a tragic figure, the end isn't much of a tragedy because he finally finds closure and is made whole again. Sure, he is damned and sent to the Hells to pay for his long list of crimes, but ironically you can see that he found some sort of peace and determination there. The tragedy already happened before the game starts and he tries to fix it. The end is bittersweet but hardly tragic. I also wonder if Fallout's ending qualifies as tragic. Being cast out of your home after saving it, and likely this corner of the world with it, is a sad thing, but a tragedy? While a serious blow, I doubt it left the Vault Dweller so broken that he'd spend the rest of his life wandering the wastelands as a beggar. More bitter than sweet and certainly memorable, but again not really tragic.

While these 2 could be debated, I'm not sure at all about the other exemples you gave. Grim Fandango plays as a comedy for the whole duration of the game and it ends with Manny and Meche getting their ticket for the Underworld and happily riding the train along with all the people they saved. Glottis stays behind but appears quite happy with his new occupation. I guess that I Have No Mouth could pass as tragic, and even if the characters are mostly poor schmucks who are tortured by a crazy computer, not the kind destined to greatness to begin with, they are the last survivors of their race so I guess they qualify. It's unfortunate that the whole thing is hamfisted that not much care can be given.

The Vault is still the character's home, where he grew up and where his famly, real or extended, is. Even if away for a long time, it's understandable he'd like to go back. Also your idea of a god is quite pedestrian.

Actually Azrael, the comparison with PS:T is not accurate. The whole premise for that game was always the need for some kind of absolution for past sins. FO1 didn't ever promise any kind of post adventure future for your character either. Mass Effect on the other hand made the whole idea of uniting the galaxy, bringing peace, curing the Genophage, saving people, finding personal happiness etc. a core of its design. People were right to have expected a 'happy' ending as one of the possible ones if they went to all the trouble to make it happen rather than just breezing through the series, having most of their crew killed off and getting rid of one or more of the races. This is standard space opera fare all the way through. Going all grimdark for the last 5 minutes in a crude attempt at 'emotional engagement' just doesn't work.

Oh don't get me wrong...it's a BAD attempt at a pseudo-tragic ending. You don't write something as fun 'Buck Roger' sci-fi for 90% of the time, and then suddenly switch to an 'oh yeah, everyone dies' ending. Unless you're Monty Python, in which case it's expected.

PS:T works because the whole game is written as tragedy - it lets you forget it for a while, but right from the start it's made clear that the only way to put things right is going to involve TNO dying. Similarly, a tragedy still needs a certain victory to it as well. Sure, Hamlet loses his moral compass, sends a largely innocent Rosencrantz and Guilderstern to their deaths, drives his lover to suicide, accidentally causes the deaths of his mother and his lover's father, kills a good-but-understandably-pissed Laertes, (probably causes the downfall of the Danish state by killing all the nobles and causing Laertes forces to fight the King's while Fortenbras is marching through conquering the place)...but he still ends having become 'whole' again by the start of the last sequence, gaining mutual forgiveness from Laertes and GETS HIS FUCKING REVENGE. The capitalised part is important - if there wasn't some sense of triumph in that last part, OR if the rest of the play had been some action-comedy, it wouldn't work.

It's more the concept than Bioware I'm defending. I agree that FO isn't really a tragedy - more a bittersweet ending ala Mad Max 2 (the obvious influence). And both FO and Mad Max 2 telegraphed their endings - it wasn't an asspull to see the VD excluded, or to see Max left behind. It's more that whenever there's anything with a slightly bitter ending, a certain demographic rages for a while, while still obsessing about the story much more than they would one with an 'everyone lives happily ever after' ending. I'm happy to see Bioware criticised for not knowing how to structure a story (the way they promoted Mass Effect, it seems like they thought they were writing an epic - in which case it's pretty fair for the lead character to die, even if it is all Buck Rogers most of the way - but had no concept of foreshadowing between games, which an epic would need). I just don't want to see developers avoid endings that leave people butthurt.

Riel

Arcane
Bioware claimed they wanted a bitter sweet ending but there was no sweetness on it at least none of it was displayed in the final cutscenes, other than that the game suddenly stoped and prompted you to buy DLC. The surprise isn't that people were enraged, it was obvious that would be the case. Mass Effect never ended, it was abruptly interrupted in the middle of what should have been the final "orgasm" (yes paralelism intended).

With EC at least the game ends how things should end, slowly downgrading the tension, leting it wash away naturally. EC ending is still against the genre of the game as I perceived it, Shepard still dies in the most stupid ways: electrocutation, jumping into a high energy beam and walking into an explosion, come on! you want to kill the protagonist, I'm ok with that, but don't make it feel like stupid suicide, it is as if Shepard was right in front of Harvinger pointing his gun towards its weak spot and right as he takes the shot, he steps on a banana skin and dies breaking his neck against the floor :? . Those random deaths still remain but now at least the ending doesn't feel like crasing against a wall leaving you staring at a blanck screen unsure of what just happened, lol.

TNO death was tragic but it was kind of relief, it's like "Fuck, I done everything in my life(lives), know I must pay for all the mistakes I made and then rest in peace".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUwihtGDM0

That's pretty much the formula for a classic tragedy: hero makes grevious mistakes, either during the story (Hamlet driving Ophelia mad / killing R+G) or before the story (Lear the tyrant of a king, so despised that as soon as he gives up power, in the 2nd scene of the play, nobody wants to know about him as it's race on to see who can kill all the other power-players highlander-style and become the next king). Hero suffers for their sins, either during the story or at its conclusion. Importantly, hero eventually accepts his suffering as necessary, and through accepting it is able to grow and achieve his victory (though the victory never removes the suffering - Hamlet wins but dies, Bud Fox in Wall Street saves the union and brings down Gecko but still ends up going to jail - neither are 'complete' losses, a major part of what makes the ending in Wall St satisfying is not just the reminder in the last scene that Fox is actually on his way to jail, but the impression that this is a necessary moral cleansing, something necessary to making him whole again).

A 'stock standard' tragedy isn't a complete loss - TNO accepting that he NEEDS to die and start the long (near-eternal, but importantly NOT literally eternal) process of suffering to make up for what he's done both before and after the curse is crucial. Sure, once a writer has mastered the standard forms he can mix it up - Lear wasn't a 'classic tragedy' because it was so damn bleak. Every single sympathetic character dies, except the one guy that Lear banishes at the start, but who disguises himself and returns to Lear's side to protect him, revealing himself as Lear is dying, only for Lear to be so far into madness/dementia that he doesn't actually recognise him. For 200 years after the play was written, no theatre in Europe would agree to perform the full play - they all cut Cordelia's death and changed it so that Lear recognises and thanks the long-suffering bodyguard-in-disguise. Even now, it's often seen as a great play to study, but so crushingly morbid that it doesn't quite work on stage - tragedies usually aren't 100% bleak like that.

TNO was basically just using the standard archetype. That's fine with me - obviously in an ideal world, we'd have moved passed those archetypes and writers would be mixing things up. But I'm yet to see any evidence that most writers even have any understanding of the basic story archetypes and why they work. You can't mix things up if you don't have a clue what makes an archetype work in the first place, otherwise you'll have no understanding how the removal of certain elements will affect the overall story, so you won't be able to write around it.

That seems to be the problem with ME3 - the writers might have thought they were writing an epic, but really they were writing 1940s space pulp - Buck Rodgers in the 31st Century material. You can't invert that by adding on a bitter ending if you don't understand the archetype that you're working with. Imagine if, say, they had been subverting the upright-hero/collar-grabbing elements all the way - say by having the hero repeatedly fail to rescue everything (kind of like what they went for with the 5th doctor, except his failures arise from arrogant strength rather than feeble pacifism). It might then fit to have a tragic ending - not the one that Bioware came up with - but one where he's dying and willing himself onwards by the determination that he isn't going to allow THIS massacre to happen (ala the 5th doc's final serial 'Caves of Androzani' where he doesn't even try to bring justice to the place, but having caused the death of 2 companions and countless allies during his run, he throws out all of his pacificism and ideals out of determination to focus on a single goal: that THIS time he isn't going to let another companion of his die). But having run it as popcorn action the whole way, where you spend the series carrying on with your merry kickass crew, kicking butt and...uh...collecting minerals from planets, and then suddenly pulling that ending? Just sheer lack of knowledge of story structure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom