Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview CD Projekt's Cyberpunk RPG Interview at VentureBeat

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

VentureBeat has interviewed CD Projekt Red co-founder Marcin Iwinski and head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski about their new project, a role-playing video game set in the world of Cyberpunk P&P. Things are obviously vague at this stage, so the interview is pretty short and focuses on generalities. Have a snippet:

GamesBeat: During the press conference, you said you wanted to create “an outstanding new standard in the futuristic RPG genre.” That’s a pretty lofty ambition. How are you guys going to accomplish that?

Iwinski: I think we’ve created some new standards in terms of storytelling in the RPG genre, in terms of having no compromise in the way the story is being told, how we shape the world, how believable the characters are, how similar it is to what we see around us. We are really looking at totally new ideas on telling a story and involving the gamer in it. I think we’re looking at what the critics were saying and what the fans were saying. I think we’ve delivered something totally new.

Second, we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better. The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing, but these days — and especially in the next generation when you have the new consoles, when you have the new HDTVs — you’re going to want bells and whistles on the graphical side, and we want to deliver on that as well.

GamesBeat: How has your experience with The Witcher series helped you in making this game?

Iwinski: I think both The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 really were the fields where we learned how to tell a great story. We’ll be taking all these lessons learned to build an even more gripping, non-linear experience in the same fashion, so no distinction between good and evil, no easy moral choices. We are making a game for a mature audience, and we are very vocal about it. I think it’s very important, so we are treating our game right, and we are not insulting your intelligence.​

Yeah, right. The full interview can be found here.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just give me some beautiful cyberpunk visuals, cool characters and a nice assortment of tits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
His answer to the PC exclusive question made me laugh. You certainly do win, Iwinski.
Second, we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters.
Helps tons when your RPG is a shooter, I'm sure.

hiver

Iwinski said :

blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg
blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg. blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg.
blargh, blarghh, ugghh, blarggh, ughbbrraahhlggg, braghh blarg blarg blarg blarg.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better. The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing
Okay so you got story down and now the graphics will be amazing. Wait, didn't they already do that in Witcher 2? Work on the fucking gameplay please.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Huh, looks like CD Projekt are going the Bioware way. First a fantasy setting, now a futuristic setting, I guess that's understandable seeing how many jewgolds Bioware accumulates. Maybe they can make a ME clone that is actually good

serch

Magister
Iwinski: Second, we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better. The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing, but these days — and especially in the next generation when you have the new consoles, when you have the new HDTVs — you’re going to want bells and whistles on the graphical side, and we want to deliver on that as well.
Cinematics and other bells and whistles impose a heavy limitation on how the world can react to player's actions, responsiveness is essential in RPG, so that's why cRPG should look worse than shooters, to avoid burning all your resources or even worse, limiting expected reactiveness.

we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better. The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing
Okay so you got story down and now the graphics will be amazing. Wait, didn't they already do that in Witcher 2? Work on the fucking gameplay please.
I was mostly fine with TW2 gameplay.
it wasn't perfect and it needed some more work on balance, but it was more than average for sure.
What I would like to see is some decent world building. Not areas big as a goddamn courtyard.
Also, what about a world that is actually interactive to some degree? Floatsam and Vergen were pretty to look at, but they didn't felt part of the game at all. If you compare them to Khorinos in Gothic 2 or Harbor City in Risen, it's almost embarrassing.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This is indoctrination. After watching this for 4h you get a revelation that Bioware is the greatest company, like ever!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom