Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #19: Berlin Sweeps Past Hong Kong

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

As the latest update for Shadowrun Returns informs us, Berlin has won over Hong Kong as the second in-game city:

It was a hard-fought battle but as any geek can tell you, There Can Be Only One. . .

. . . and that's BERLIN!

That's right, Berlin came from behind and swept past Hong Kong, taking it's place as the second city in Shadowrun Returns.

Congratulations to EVERYONE who participated in the voting (and the attempts at swaying the vote). It's really a joy to make this game for you!

Talk to you soon!​

Biggest victory for the West since the Opium Wars.

Stinger

Arcane
Oh good. I was really worried there that we'd have yet ANOTHER cyberpunk game in Hong Kong and Berlin seems like an interesting setting so it all looks pretty good to me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's Lofwyr that's backing it. there, that's your Berlin plot in its entirety

Good job voting in the most boring of the possible cities in shadowrun. Me and the rest of the lorefags from the dumpshock forums eagerly await telling you we told you so after the game gets released and you get a second, blander seattle with less interesting plot.

hakuroshi

Augur
I've hoped for more Seattle actually, but that was shot in previous round.

Cantello

Novice
I'd hoped for Chicago but that did not seem to be overly popular... Second best choice would have been more Seattle. Better to have one fully fleshed out city than two mediocre ones.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice, Hong Kong is WAAAAAY overdone in this kind of setting...

It's not real-world Hong Kong. The weakest of the possible settings was voted in precisely because people couldn't make this simple distinction.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A victory for social justice! I am pleased. Don't care how boring it is as long as racism is kept to a minimum.

Repressed Homosexual
I voted Berlin, glad it was chosen. Hong Kong would have been full of annoying Asian clichés. Shadowrun already has too many of them as it stands.

I don't understand the people who don't like Berlin because a dragon controls everything there. I think what makes Shadowrun fun is not just the drama between the factions and races, but most of all the oppressive backdrop of the game.

EG

Nullified
Why not Quebec? Everyone loves to kill the pseudo-French!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
People need to read the source books instead of just picking some random city. Anyways, it is now Berlin. So be it.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Hong Kong would be more Blade Runner-ish but Berlin shouldn't be too bad either, but things need to be in German setting-wise or else it would feel like just another bland western city. Put that master language to good use.

almondblight

Arcane
Shitty options: No Szczecin for starters...

Poland in Shadowrun looks good:

"2023—In Częstochowa, visitors to Jasna Góra Monastery report seeing visions of the Apostles. The area soon becomes flooded with pilgrims hoping to see their own visions. The apparitions continue to appear annually and the area becomes known as a holy site."

"2035—In Oświęcim, the monks of Order of St. Sylvester construct a network of astral wards called the “Soul Barrier” to contain the ghosts of Nazi-era concentratin camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau."

"2062-? State of war exists between Russia and Polish resistance controlled territories like Free Republic of Poland. Both sides are exhausted, and prepearing for a new stage in war, low-level fighting takes place all along the border, with Russians controlling most of the airspace and launching air raids, up to carpet bombing, at Polish-held targets."

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A victory for social justice! I am pleased. Don't care how boring it is as long as racism is kept to a minimum.
Racism is rife everywhere in Shadowrun. The elves made their own tiny nations (Tir Taingire, Tir na nOg) and have a servere superiority complex. The orcs and trolls of seattle have their own little subterrainian ghetto (Ork Underground). The nation of Japan, being progressive sorts, actually revoked the citizenship of the first metahumans to appear and shipped them all off to a tiny island. Heck, one of the common newbie runner opponents is Humanis Policlub who beleive all those goddamn elves, orcs, trolls, dwarves and whatnot should be rounded up and shot. It's like what would happen if Ku Klux Klan decided that black and white could live together in harmony if they both decided to gang up on green.

Don't these guys just look swell to you?
http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Humanis_Policlub
:thumbsup:
The generating NPCs section in the 3rd edition shadowrun book suggested you roll a D6 to determine if the given NPC had any racial prejudces, then another D6 to determine which race(s) they were prejudiced against. That means a full 1/6th of the SR world is racist! :incline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ulminati - I'm talking about the kind that comes from the writers themselves, not in-universe prejudice.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shitty options: No Szczecin for starters...

Poland in Shadowrun looks good:

"2023—In Częstochowa, visitors to Jasna Góra Monastery report seeing visions of the Apostles. The area soon becomes flooded with pilgrims hoping to see their own visions. The apparitions continue to appear annually and the area becomes known as a holy site."

"2035—In Oświęcim, the monks of Order of St. Sylvester construct a network of astral wards called the “Soul Barrier” to contain the ghosts of Nazi-era concentratin camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau."

"2062-? State of war exists between Russia and Polish resistance controlled territories like Free Republic of Poland. Both sides are exhausted, and prepearing for a new stage in war, low-level fighting takes place all along the border, with Russians controlling most of the airspace and launching air raids, up to carpet bombing, at Polish-held targets."
I'd buy that DLC instantly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom