Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Eurogamer Looks Back at Bioware's Jade Empire

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Jade Empire

Eurogamer looks back at Bioware's Oriental-themed action RPG Jade Empire (2005) for this week's retrospective.

Way of the Closed Fist was, in essence, a pull-no-punches answer to the nonsensical nature of RPG questing. The world, its disciples said, was weak and complacent. So let its citizens face adversity. Let them question their values. Let them fight. After nearly topping out my Open Palm meter, I chose to bust the dam at Tien's Landing, leaving the newly impoverished settlement high-and-dry for the foreseeable future. Then I told the wily businessman who'd risen up to fill the power vacuum that - in no uncertain terms - he was to remind his skin-and-bones villagers that hardship brings strength. Served them right for trusting a stranger with their problems.

Even then, though, Jade Empire's moral code was inconsistent at best. For every moment of true complexity, I came across three or four others that basically boiled down to "Be sappier than one of Jackie Chan's family flicks or completely miss the point of your Way's teachings and take the lazy way out." Fight a bunch of normal enemies like a man or drop a boat on them and - in the process - kill an innocent slave. Good or evil. Black or white.

Sadly, that pretty much sums up Jade Empire. It was, in a nutshell, one of those YouTube videos where a kid thinks he can pull off some crazy triple-spinning kick, only to fall flat on his face. Sky high ambition minus the required know-how. But it makes sense, given that, for BioWare, the game represented a vision-obscuring downpour of firsts: first original IP since Baldur's Gate, first truly console-focused release, and first 'streamlined' combat system - among others.

Jade Empire was not, however, by any means terrible. Instead, it became the embodiment of BioWare's gangly teenage growth spurt, prone to tripping over its own two feet. And all the while, tremendous potential stirred just beneath the surface. The world and its mythology, especially, were a breath of fresh air in a genre distressingly content to perch atop D&D's reliable shoulders. Drawing from all manner of Chinese legends, action films, and martial arts philosophies, it was like a cobbled together book report written by a kid who loved the fantasy of the place, but - perhaps willfully - ignored the reality. Yes, Jade Empire absolutely was an Americanized cultural mishmash, but don't mistake it for ill-informed exploitation. The game was a work of honest reverence in the same vein as, say, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and that "China's Greatest Hits" approach was part of the charm.​

I hate to say this, but to me Jade Empire is probably the only halfway decent game Bioware did after Baldur's Gate. (Discuss!)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I defininitely liked Jade Empire, no doubt about that.

Sure, it had its flaws, but even those partly had a certain trash charm (like the aircraft shooter minigame).

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Jade Empire was an abomination. After the utter disappointment that NWN was and the consolized KotOR, I still had some hope for Bioware. Jade Empire crushed any remaining hope and ground it into dust.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The :obviously: outlander explorer voiced by John Cleese was about the only memorable thing in Jade Empire, along with the Shmup minigame, the crazy inventor and the plot twist that was ridiculously obviously hinted.

SO I THINK U HAZ LIKE A FLAW IN UR TECHNIQUE! BUT I CANNOT INTO SPECIFYING IT DERP!

Seriously they should make a spinoff where you are the :obviously: outlander roaming not-China teaching the savages that *they* are the barbarians.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was good for what it was. Except that it was too short. It was also the only game that Bioware released between 2003 (KOTOR) and 2007 (Mass Effect 1).

What the fuck were they doing all that time? Considering all the whining about having to release annually to survive, it's weird when a company goes "dormant" for years. But it seems to be not uncommon.

It was a good thing for me though, because those years were precisely when I did my undergraduate degree. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fuck this racist shit, I'm glad it bombed and the sequel was canceled. The only downside is that without a title to work on, Mike Laidlaw had to go to Dragon Age.

Except that it was too short. It was also the only game that Bioware released between 2003 (KOTOR) and 2007 (Mass Effect 1).

What the fuck were they doing all that time? Considering all the whining about having to release annually to survive, it's weird when a company goes "dormant" for years. But it seems to be not uncommon.
Dragon Age and JE before, Dragon Age and Mass Effect after (also preliminary work on JE2 but as I said, canceled). And since this was pre-EA they weren't required to deliver one full release every fiscal year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not getting into the derptastic "Jade Empire is racist" argument again.

And who funded them during this period? Or did they have a much smaller staff then?

communard

Arcane
JE was the first Bioware game that really made wonder why they called it an RPG. Some decentish action combat and standard mediocre Bioware story, plot and dialogue without the derptastic excess of some later titles. I was still somewhat of a Bio fan at the time of it's release (despite the massive disappointment that was NWN and the consolization of KOTOR, I was young and dumb I guess) but it was the first of their games that I didn't buy. Playing the "demo" the sheer mediocrity just smacked me in the face and left a lasting impression of bitterness and resentment. I think that was the day I became a Codexian in spirit if not in action.

Deleted member 7219

A very good game. Not really an RPG though. More like an action/adventure with some RPG elements. Would have been nice if there was a sequel.

skyst

Augur

Eurogamer looks back at Bioware's Oriental-themed action RPG Jade Empire (2005) for this week's retrospective.

But it makes sense, given that, for BioWare, the game represented a vision-obscuring downpour of firsts: first original IP since Baldur's Gate, first truly console-focused release, and first 'streamlined' combat system - among others. (Discuss!)​

How is BG an original IP? Especially if NWN and KotOR are considered not.​

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And who funded them during this period? Or did they have a much smaller staff then?
Last-gen games had smaller team sizes compared to now but they were still pretty big. Microsoft paid for JE and ME, and in 2005 Bioware was purchased by Elevation Partners who sold them to EA in 2007.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

But it makes sense, given that, for BioWare, the game represented a vision-obscuring downpour of firsts: first original IP since Baldur's Gate, first truly console-focused release, and first 'streamlined' combat system - among others. (Discuss!)​

How is BG an original IP? Especially if NWN and KotOR are considered not.​

Holy shit, didn't notice that. I bet they think Bioware invented the Forgotten Realms.:hearnoevil:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
in 2005 Bioware was purchased by Elevation Partners who sold them to EA in 2007.

Is that so? According to Wikipedia it was something a bit more complex than that.

On November 3, 2005, Elevation invested $300 million to create an alliance between video game developers BioWare and Pandemic Studios, making it one of the biggest independent developers in the world.

Not sure what exactly that means...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
EP gave them money to make games basically. Scroll down a bit to the "On October 11, 2007, it was announced that EA had negotiated a deal with Elevation to pay $860 million (USD) in order to acquire both Bioware and Pandemic Studios" part.

Fun fact to notice on the side: Riccitello is one of the founders of Elevation Partners and sold Bioware to himself if you want to oversimplify it. :p

SerratedBiz

Arcane
What kind of world is it that people have already realized Jade Empire's moral choices were 'hug the homeless' good and 'drown the kitten' bad, but they still think the Mass Effects and Kotor had these ohhhh deep grey area choices?

Hellraiser

Arcane
What kind of world is it that people have already realized Jade Empire's moral choices were 'hug the homeless' good and 'drown the kitten' bad, but they still think the Mass Effects and Kotor had these ohhhh deep grey area choices?

Ad-money from JE ran out long ago, TOR is riding on the KOTOR bandwagon so journos still need to spout nonsense about its "impressive" and "deep" morality system. Unless they want to risk losing jewgold from Biowhore and EA.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Fridge logic

Once they go away and think about that shit for a couple of years they'll realise ME etc. are retarded, but the next thing will have come along by then and the cycle will repeat itself

Forever

Dexter

Arcane
Eh, I liked it, one of the last Bioware games with some semblance of soul before Dragon Age and Mass Effect started and I started losing all hope.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Baldur's Gate series and Jade empire are the only games I liked from Bioware. While Jade Empire is basically same bull shit formula as Mass effect's, Dragon Age and Kotor, I forgive it for martial arts combat and since there arent many games or pseudo rpgs with that, Jade Empire is ok in my book.

hoopy

Savant
Gweilos gonna hate.

I liked Jade Empire. The combat and game mechanics were nice despite their simplicity, and it had a refreshingly different setting for once. Good art and music, ok story and writing (as far as I remember).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom