Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Icewind Dale Complete Remake Mod Released for NWN2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Icewind Dale; Neverwinter Nights 2

Are you tired of popping the moles in today's shooters cRPGs?
Then you could try this complete remake of Icewind Dale in the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine.

Yes, even Icewind Dale is getting better with every year going by.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice. I wonder how well it's balanced for 3E. In that respect, it would have been easier to remake IWD2...

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great, now we can play IWD in crappy engine with worse graphics.
Exactly my sentiment. Why would you pour a lot of resources into recreating a game into such shitty engine while the original still works nicely? And more so, GemRB is a pretty nice project that recreates the original engine pretty well?

Kjujik

Educated
Great, now we can play IWD in crappy engine with worse graphics.
Exactly my sentiment. Why would you pour a lot of resources into recreating a game into such shitty engine while the original still works nicely? And more so, GemRB is a pretty nice project that recreates the original engine pretty well?

Maybe there are some misguided people out there who prefer D&D edition 3.5 to edition 2 rule set. But can’t imagine there are many of those. IMO ed. 2 was better balanced and didn’t force the player to plan the character build 40 levels in advance. Also probably the Sims crowd can’t into IWD without being able to choose out of 20+ hairstyles and 8 types of pointy ears etc. After all its not role-playing, if you can’t color coordinate everything.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Why would I want to play a bad game in a good game?

There's a reason why there is no "Hey, bro, we heard you like Icewind and Neverwinter so we put Icewind in your Neverwinter so you can Icewind while you Neverwinter"-meme.

made

Arcane
Should just have used IWD2 engine, kinda like that BG mod that merges BG1+2 in one game. Unless something like that already exists; do let me know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sometimes people make things just because they can. This is probably one of those times.

catfood

AGAIN
Great, now we can play IWD in a crappy engine with worse graphics.
Well I can't find any argument against that. But I'm guessing the main appeal is to be able to use 3.5's multiclassing clusterfuckery. Both NWN 1 and 2 had all these cool classes and prestige classes but they pissed me off by not letting you to create a custom party from scratch (apart from SOZ), which completely undermined the whole point of having that many options to choose from.

This mod might make me install NWN2 again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How is the Pool of Radiance Remake mod.? I am halfway done with NWN2SOZ and contemplating PoR mod.

I thought it was pretty cool. A grim and gritty low-level experience, with little to no filler combat.

Gord

Arcane
Bunch of whiners.
Never understood what exactly it is with all the raging about NWN2.
The game looks nice enough (definitely better than the surreal looking environments or the sometimes outright ugly art direction in NWN1), and I didn't ever have much trouble with camera or controls, either.
In fact I think it's one of the first 3D RPGs that looked as good as the 2D stuff in the late 90s/early 2000s.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
How is the Pool of Radiance Remake mod.? I am halfway done with NWN2SOZ and contemplating PoR mod.
for a game that provides nothing but combat (go to council clerk->get mission->go to place and kill everything->report back->get next mission->go to different place and kill everything->...) the combat is far too easy. I mean, if there's nothing but combat, at least provide some decent encounters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bunch of whiners.
The game looks nice enough (definitely better than the surreal looking environments or the sometimes outright ugly art direction in NWN1), and I didn't ever have much trouble with camera or controls, either.
In fact I think it's one of the first 3D RPGs that looked as good as the better-looking 2D stuff.

I think NWN2's problem was that the camera felt horrible if you ran the game on a PC that wasn't powerful enough to handle it. And back in 2006, there hadn't been much need to upgrade your PC in the years previous if you were a hardcore RPG player.
You could say that NWN2 suffered a similar sort of fate to Windows Vista's.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Bunch of whiners.
In fact I think it's one of the first 3D RPGs that looked as good as the better-looking 2D stuff.

I think NWN2's problem was that the camera felt horrible if you ran the game on a PC that wasn't powerful enough to handle it. And back in 2006, there hadn't been much need to upgrade your PC in the years previous if you were a hardcore RPG player.
No. Camera and shitty engine that required far more resources than the visuals merited are two separate issues.
And Gord, what's so hard about stating:
"I never had issues with the NWN2 engine or camera. In fact I consider it better than NWN1's. And the visuals are as good as the better-looking 2D stuff, IMO."
You would have expressed the same but you wouldn't have sounded like a self-centered prick...

Ah well *shrug*

getter77

Augur
At the very least it is good to see more use being made of the NWN2 slate of things, as it isn't like there's any expectation of a NWN3 down the line to carry on the works that began in NWN. Whether this winds up especially good comes down to the dev group continuing to refine and improve it with feedback as opposed to just a release drop.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bunch of whiners.

No. Camera simply was and is terrible. Well, it is manageable, although not convenient, however in locations with hills and mountains it becomes clusterfuck.

Gord

Arcane
Shannow, I don't really see much difference between what I wrote and what you think I should have written. However, neither of us is a native english speaker, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the resource-demanding engine, I think it might have to do with specific hardware combinations and some in-game settings.
At least on my pcs (which have always been mid-range gaming builds, so nothing fancy) it did run well enough.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What I find interesting is there is a Neverwinter Nexus site. When did that happen?

MCA
LOL I looked at the screenshots and they look like shit.

Looks

31-2-1331318382.jpg

31-4-1331318382.jpg

Utter

31-5-1331318382.jpg

Crap

31-1-1331477705.jpg

R00FLES!

Aaah, now it becomes clear why they bothered:

31-2-1331477705.jpg

TITS MAN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom