Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 gets awards; 2.0 coming

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>"European Games Awards 2011" have been presented yesterday in K&ouml;ln, 4players <a href="http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/Allgemein/3933/2069517/">report</a>. The only game which would even remotely be an RPG on the list is The Witcher 2, which won in the "Best European Gamedesign", "Best European Special Edition" and "Best European Gameworld" categories (someone should tell these guys Aedirn isn't in Europe). Winning in the gamedesign category is quite an achievement for a game which instead of having two halves to be played in order contains two copies of its first half instead. Will we ever get to play the second half? In any case, following their own behaviour regarding the myriads of Enhanced Special Ubereditions of the original Witcher, CD Projekt will provide a "new and improved" version of The Witcher 2 -- the announcement is supposedly in <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/2/videos/trailers/">this video</a>, around 4:55.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The humble country of Germany will undoubtedly be glad to receive the happy news that they won in the "Best European Country" category. <a href="http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/Allgemein/3933/2069517/">Not kidding.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</a></p>

Shannow

Waster of Time
The humble country of Germany will undoubtedly be glad to receive the happy news that they won in the "Best European Country" category.
The fuck? Must be for the country that spends most on gaming or is the host or something...

Bestes europäisches Games Portal: Bigpoint.com
Bester europäischer Community Support: Bigpoint.com
Bester europäischer Publisher: wooga
Bestes europäisches Spiel: Crysis 2
Beste europäische Art Direction: Crysis 2
Bester europäischer Sound: Crysis 2
Bestes europäisches Action Game: Crysis 2
Beste europäische Werbung[Advertising]: Crysis 2
Bestes europäisches Studio: Crytek
THE EGA IS SUPPORTED BY:
bigpoint_over.png

crytek_over.png

Wooga_over.png

nrw_over.png
(The state that hosted the whole thing, which in turn would explain Germany winning an award.)
And I'm quite sure that if I bothered to find out who the people behind most of the other awardees are they'd also be on the sponsor list.
So TW2 might be the only game that didn't buy its awards :salute:

Gods, I'm so disgusted right now...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Elwro said:
The humble country of Germany will undoubtedly be glad to receive the happy news that they won in the "Best European Country" category.

I wonder which country was the runner up... And what were the requirements. BTW the country which doesn't develop games but hosted the awards won best country awards!
:bravo:

Elwro

Arcane
? I think Germany develops a lot of games. Wasn't Crysis from Germany? Piranha Bytes? Lots of adventure titles?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Winning in the gamedesign category is quite an achievement for a game which instead of having two halves to be played in order contains two copies of its first half instead. Will we ever get to play the second half?

What an asinine, catty thing to say.

Elwro

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Winning in the gamedesign category is quite an achievement for a game which instead of having two halves to be played in order contains two copies of its first half instead. Will we ever get to play the second half?
What an asinine, catty thing to say.
Have you played the barely existent 3rd act?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a three-act play, each act usually has a different tone to it. The most commonly used, but not always, is the first act having a lot of introductory elements, the second act can usually be the darkest with the antagonists having a greater encompass, while the third act is the resolution and the protagonists prevailing. There is an age-old saying that "the second act is the best", owing to the fact of it being in between a starting and ending act and thus being able to delve deeper into more of the meat of the story since it does not need to have as prominent introductory or resolutive portions. Of course this is not always so since a third act or even a first act can have the common second act characteristics, but the most used is that type of structure.

Whether or not you think the third act resolves everything, it certainly follows the standard three act path. Just because you think of acts as somehow having to be equal in length doesn't mean that it has to be so. The second act in a three act production is always the main one and often the first and third acts together are shorter than the second act and that holds true for The Witcher 2 as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A good third act in a play doesn't just dump a ton of exposition on you all at once and ends in a cliffhanger. It has that definite "Whoops, ran out of time" feeling, likely because they had to switch engines mid-development.

Elwro

Arcane
@commie: Whatever you call it, the fact is that the game ends with an abrupt cut (leaving at least me disappointed that that was it) and plot details are hastily communicated in a single conversation right at the end.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Shannow said:
The fuck? Must be for the country that spends most on gaming or is the host or something...

Bestes europäisches Games Portal: Bigpoint.com
Bester europäischer Community Support: Bigpoint.com
Bester europäischer Publisher: wooga
Bestes europäisches Spiel: Crysis 2
Beste europäische Art Direction: Crysis 2
Bester europäischer Sound: Crysis 2
Bestes europäisches Action Game: Crysis 2
Beste europäische Werbung[Advertising]: Crysis 2
Bestes europäisches Studio: Crytek
And I'm quite sure that if I bothered to find out who the people behind most of the other awardees are they'd also be on the sponsor list.
So TW2 might be the only game that didn't buy its awards :salute:

Gods, I'm so disgusted right now...

Haha that's as bad as the first ESPY's.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elwro said:
@commie: Whatever you call it, the fact is that the game ends with an abrupt cut (leaving at least me disappointed that that was it) and plot details are hastily communicated in a single conversation right at the end.

Well that's nothing to do with the game itself but some post game summary from a character. That's no reason to whine about the length or lack of it regarding the act. So you didn't get a 20 minute cutscene at the end and slides for everything like you(and I) would have liked. Shit like this happens in virtually EVERY game and has happened since ancient times. Even in an era of better production values where you could have got something more: remember the EOB ending? Shit, the best ending I've seen in a game in recent times was actually in Portal 2.

Roguey whines about the cliffhanger and plot additions and of course scriptwriting 101 states that you shouldn't introduce new things in even the last half of a production, never mind the last 5 minutes, but fuck, that's how games work: they always want to leave room for a sequel or some shit. It's lazy and annoying and I'd love to see more games made with a conscious decision to end the particular story in that very game and not have a "but something survived..buahhhahhaaaa!" shit at the end, (VTMB or PS:T did the open to interpretation yet complete endings well). It's doubly fucked because it creates something like Assassins Creed or Mass Effect where you have to play everything just to experience the plot to completion while at the same time the storyline is at the mercy of market forces. I've played many a game with a 'to be continued' type of ending only for there never to be a sequel released and that's just shit.

Elwro

Arcane
I didn't consider TW2's ending as "leaving room for a sequel"; I felt something important (like an attempt at plot resolution) was left out from the game. Nowhere did it strike as anyone's conscious design decision; the thing feels very rushed.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh boy. I can't wait until the African Games Awards 2011.

Let's arbitrarily restrict the entries so shitty games can win awards too!

DraQ

Arcane
commie said:
I've played many a game with a 'to be continued' type of ending only for there never to be a sequel released and that's just shit.
OTOH some of those games are among the best ever - Anachronox, anyone? Unreal 1 (before getting herpaderped by legendary faggots from Legend in RTNP)?

corvus

Arcane
If it's free then I really can't find a reason to bitch about it. If this were BioWare it would all cost $30+. Alternate dark/emo appearance pack for Geralt? $5!!

corvus

Arcane
FFS including an arena mode this is an outrage! How can they include garbage like this in a hardcore RPG?! Seems like Bethesda's the only hope for true RPG's now you guys!

Inb4 someone calls me a dumbfuck newfag

foobie42

Novice
W Babilonie zdrada, każą nosić jaja. A jaja nie dość, że niewygodne, w dodatku deformują spodnie.

Elwro

Arcane
W jajach tkwi ambicja, jaja to zdwojone Ja

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom