Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Avadon: The Black Fortress Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p>Digitally Downloaded <a href="http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2011/05/review-avadon-black-fortress-pc.html" target="_blank">provide a review</a> of Spiderweb's latest entry <strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong> rating it nicely with 4.5/5.</p>
<blockquote>
<div class="MsoNormal">There&rsquo;s all the usual inventory micro management that you&rsquo;ll need to perform &ndash; you&rsquo;ll need space in the backpack for light sources, for instance, as well as positions and the like, and just like the RPGs of yesteryear, you won&rsquo;t have quite enough inventory slots for all the stuff you&rsquo;ll want to carry.</div>
<div class="MsoNormal"><br /></div>
<div class="MsoNormal">The only really irritating part of the game comes from the exploration. Finding stuff on the floor requires you to pull up the inventory, and because the game doesn&rsquo;t do a good job of explaining to you that &ldquo;hey, this here bit of floor has some good stuff on it,&rdquo; you&rsquo;ll waste a good portion of your time running around tapping the &lsquo;I&rsquo; key just to make sure you don&rsquo;t miss anything.</div>
<div class="MsoNormal">But the game is the sum of its parts, and the small irritations are completely forgivable. This is a big, chunky game that is retro RPG fans should absolutely adore. And, if you don&rsquo;t care for playing it on PC or Mac&hellip; there is an iPad version coming in June, Spiderweb Software promise, and that will be awesome.</div>
<p>Basically, you&rsquo;ll be able to tell if you will like this game from the screenshots. If you remember playing and enjoying these games as a youngster, then this score below is for you. Otherwise&hellip; well, you probably didn&rsquo;t read far enough to get to this conclusion anyway.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to <span class="name">Severian Silk.</span></em></p>

Micmu

Magister
and just like the RPGs of yesteryear, you won’t have quite enough inventory slots for all the stuff you’ll want to carry
...stopped reading this putrid piece of shit article right there, left the Codex and continued replaying Avernum 3.
Clearly, he didn't dumb it down enough.

curry

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Are_You_Fucking_Kidding_Me_What_is_your_favorite_Video_game-s370x333-137730-580.jpg

tindrli

Arcane
com on motherfuckers.. its still the best material that we all have at least in a last year .. bah...

GO SPIDERWEB!!!!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well it seems that apparently Jeff Vogel has not underestimated the demand among PC gamers for bland, boring, insipid, generic, wholly unoriginal and uninspired games. Good for him. I ended up uninstalling the demo and then smashing my hard disk with a sledgehammer afterwards just to make sure it was gone, I was so disgusted with how terrible it was, but hey, people like shit, let them eat shit.

BlackSun said:
KotC came out in 2009 dude.
I guess that demonstrates how good it is?

BlackSun

Educated
I don't follow.

Someone was suggesting that vogels new game is the best game that has come out in the past year and someone responded with KotC. KotC did not come out in the past year.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was going for something along the lines of "it's so good, it's timeless."

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just wanted keeping the geneforge model. Maybe some more varied object interaction and quests that are not always obviously triggered by a placard or a questgiver.

But noooooooooo...

Zlaja

Arcane
you won’t have quite enough inventory slots for all the stuff you’ll want to carry.

The fuck is he talking about? Junk bag in the game seems limitless to me. And you hardly need even that. Unless you enjoy collecting rocks and iron bars.

inappropriately dressed women

Where?

GarfunkeL said:
That fucking dragon. "oh, we're meeting a mighty dragon that makes whole countries tremble!"

WHOA BOY, it's the size of a dog! Curb your enthusiasm!

If I ever designed a high-fantasy crpg, I'd so throw in a version of the old 'its to scale' sight gag. As in, have a quest where the players can go hunt down some bloodthirsty dragon, only to discover that the inscription in the painting of the dragon actually reads 'drawn to actual size', with the castle in the painting being some kid's toyset.

And if the players walk away without killing the dragon, he'll attack them later on when they've been hit with an AoE shrink ray:).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom