Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege III Preview @ PCGamer

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>PCGamer had <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/27/dungeon-siege-iii-hands-on/" target="_blank">some hands-on time</a> with Obsidian Entertainments upcoming action-RPG <strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>My favorite scenario is set deep in a shadowy forest, beyond the Lescanzi occupied town of Raven&rsquo;s Rill, where we must rid a haunted mansion of spectral terrors and deal with the trapped soul of a little girl that has been ensnared by an ancient artifact. Although there&rsquo;s quite a bit of narrative backdrop going on, DS3 doesn&rsquo;t allow that to get in the way of the fast-paced, narrative disinterested nature of co-op play. Cutscenes are skippable and almost every dialog sequence has an easy-out option. When we enter the mansion, my partner and I are almost instantly engaged by hordes of skeleton warriors complemented by undead archers and spell casting wraiths&mdash;it&rsquo;s here that DS3 really shines.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Good that the narrative doesn't come in the way of killing things.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17177">RPGWatch</a></p>

His favourite scenario is the one with a long narrow pipe with a dark forest layout, entirely different to ordinary forest layout.

I showed this to a friend who usually easily gets new games but to this he just said, it looks entirely like a pipe run. Why the hell do they even have a minimap?

Dorf

Novice
I can see his point when it comes to Co-Op play. Usually I would Co-Op in a game after I already had played it myself, and so has the person I am playing with, so we both want to skip the cut scenes and dialogue moments.

Its not an unreasonable observation.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a hack and slash game, the narrative shouldn't get in the way of the action. The entire point of the H&S genre is to kill shit. Of course, storyfags like me will still read all the dialog and watch the cutscenes because writing in Obsidian games usually above average to great. Whether I buy the game or not will probably depend on how solid the gameplay is, though.

Micmu

Magister
I found the camera to be my greatest enemy
Here we go again... :lol:
Rotating woop woop console crap.
At least Blitztard are smart enough to see that fixed top-down is the only way for mass H&S.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
micmu said:
I found the camera to be my greatest enemy
Here we go again... :lol:
Rotating woop woop console crap.
At least Blitztard are smart enough to see that fixed top-down is the only way for mass H&S.

It IS a fixed camera. Just in same screen co-op it rotates.

Also hes not complaining about the camera but about the camera controls. (Which are different again as this was an older build.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember when some naive fanboys said I was wrong for saying the PC controls would suck. No one to blame for their terrible camera controls except themselves this time (unless they somehow actually fix it in the weeks they have left before they go gold). Good thing I have a controller or I'd be upset over Obshitian Enterturdment living up to their name yet again.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
I showed this to a friend who usually easily gets new games but to this he just said, it looks entirely like a pipe run. Why the hell do they even have a minimap?
Originally it just had a bread-crumb trail button, but the playtesters still kept getting lost. Modern gamers, eh?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never had any problems with NWN2 camera even, so still (kinda) looking forward to this game and will acquire it provided the feedback on combat is positive enough.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
I remember when some naive fanboys said I was wrong for saying the PC controls would suck. No one to blame for their terrible camera controls except themselves this time (unless they somehow actually fix it in the weeks they have left before they go gold).

They already did. (Well we don't know if its really working great now) Build is old. They had a polish pass for a new one a few weeks ago.

ortucis

Prophet
Crooked Bee said:
Never had any problems with NWN2 camera even, so still (kinda) looking forward to this game and will acquire it provided the feedback on combat is positive enough.

Ditto. All that bitching about camera in NWN2 didn't stop me from enjoying the game in the end. I never had any issue and would change between isometric and over the shoulder view every now and fluidly. Probably same camera system in DS3.

Varn

Educated
I still don't get why these idiots can't make a proper camera. Blizzard made a perfectly fine 3D camera in World of Warcraft like what, 8 years ago now or something. It can't be that hard to copy it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't copy an MMO camera for a hack&slash; that genre favors overhead views. And DS3 is being released for consoles, which puts a huge technical restraint on what they can do with the camera. DAO had that problem - the textures were low res so the game could support zooming out without killing the framerate.

I haven't actually played the game yet, so I don't know what's supposedly wrong with the camera, but Obsidian has been getting better at making cameras since NWN2, so I half-suspect they'll have fixed this before release or the previewer is just an idiot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Ditto. All that bitching about camera in NWN2 didn't stop me from enjoying the game in the end."

Illogical non sequiter. I also enjoyed NWN2 to the end but the camera still sucked.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Why the hell do they even have a minimap?
Why not?

Also, I never had too much problem with the camera in any Obsidian game (or in any other game for that matter - except in Alpha Protocol, which had that weird bug). Maybe I'm natural talent at using cameras in videogames. :smug:

Pegultagol

Erudite
At least NWN2 could have scripts to change camera settings. I personally didn't have particular problems except when changing locations into and out of buildings where the camera becomes squeezed between characters in over the shoulder view and the exit. Remember using WASD to move around in that case.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didnt mind the camera, but I did have a problem with shitty plot and boring dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom