Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Stumping in the wasteland: On the politics of Fallout

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas

<p><a href="http://bitmob.com/articles/stumping-in-the-wasteland-on-the-politics-of-fallout" target="_blank">Bitmob editorialise</a> about the politics of Fallout and <em>they found a political philosophy that is grim, cynical, and yet hopeful at the same time</em>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Fallout</strong> has received heaps of praise from gamers and critics alike. They love to talk about the innovative combat, the fantastically dismal environments and art design, and its grim sense of humor.&nbsp;It isn&rsquo;t often, however, that people talk about the subtext of the game. This might not the case if the outcomes in the games -- especially the most recent two: Bethesda&rsquo;s <strong>Fallout 3</strong> and Obsidian&rsquo;s <strong>Fallout: New Vegas&nbsp;</strong>&nbsp;-- weren&rsquo;t so entirely dependent on player choice.</p>
<p>Gamers and journalists alike can analyze the themes and values of a title like <strong>Bioshock</strong> much easier than they can with open-ended role-playing games such as these. After all, an ending for one player might be entirely different from that of another. This is even more likely when you consider that they have the ability to ignore the main quest and the story entirely. Still, it is entirely possible to analyze the politics of the Fallout series by examining numerous aspects that don't depend on player interaction. When we do so, we find a political philosophy that is grim, cynical, and yet hopeful at the same time.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<div style="page-break-after: always;"><span style="display: none;">&nbsp;</span></div>
<p><strong>Politics at the End of the World</strong></p>
<p>The narrative threads of every Fallout title can be traced back to one singular event: the worldwide nuclear holocaust known as the Great War. In a timeline divergent from ours, the Cold War ended in Communism and Capitalism annihilating each other with their equally enormous arsenals of mass destruction. Before the player even comes to life in Vault 101 or wakes up with a new cranium in the Mojave Desert, the far-reaching effects of &ldquo;old world&rdquo; politics can already be felt.</p>
<p>No one is entirely sure who fired the first shots -- for all the irradiated descendants know, China and America unleashed their bombs at the exact same moment. One thing is certain, however: Armageddon is the natural endgame for a world divided by extremist politics -- at least in the Fallout universe. With natural resources dwindling and the arms race as heated as ever, the political ideologues of the world reached the conclusion that if they can&rsquo;t rule the world, no one will. Yet, the world in which players find themselves is most certainly not a post-political environment.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101873-stumping-in-the-wasteland-on-the-politics-of-fallout.html">GB</a></p>

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No one is entirely sure who fired the first shots -- for all the irradiated descendants know, China and America unleashed their bombs at the exact same moment.

The fuck? China fired first, everyone knows that. You read it in one of the computer terminals in The Glow in the first game!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The first two games don't count for gaming journalists of today. They're indecipherable oddities from the annals of history.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zarniwoop said:
No one is entirely sure who fired the first shots -- for all the irradiated descendants know, China and America unleashed their bombs at the exact same moment.

The fuck? China fired first, everyone knows that. You read it in one of the computer terminals in The Glow in the first game!

No man, I discovered everything in the first game and there weren't anything like that. Bethesda didn't do that.

Phelot

Arcane
These articles are really reaching...

I've always liked the post-apoc setting especially after cold war gone nuclear, but there isn't much in the ways of interesting politics in the FO universe, which is a shame because I would have loved to explore the political scene in such a setting.

I suppose FO2 sort of delved into it a bit with NCR, Vault City, and New Reno, but even that seemed simple and amateurish.

I do like to think that there is a bit of a timeline from FO to FO2 in which FO featured small, independent towns and trading centers that eventually transform into the larger governments we see in FO2.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Konjad said:
Zarniwoop said:

No man, I discovered everything in the first game and there weren't anything like that. Bethesda didn't do that.

It might have been in a different place but I'm sure it's in there... somewhere... maybe Maxson or some other general's logs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Zarniwoop said:
Konjad said:
Zarniwoop said:

It might have been in a different place but I'm sure it's in there... somewhere... maybe Maxson or some other general's logs.

==Oct. 23 2077==
I can't believe those bastards finally did it. Damn them all to Hell. They finally let the A-Bombs fly. We were right in the middle of trying to pry the real story out of von Felden when we completely lost contact. I have a feeling the research center was hit hard. I don't know why, just call it a gut feeling. It seems inconceivable that we were not targeted. I'm sure China will make up for that oversight real soon. Luckily, we had moved our families from outside into the facility the day before yesterday. We do not yet know if the fallout has reached this area.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Maxson%27s_Diary

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Critical failure on Fallout lore - shoot yourself in shame.

Phelot, I thought it was pretty neat - yes, small communities with some trading going on but they are mostly focused inwards - and these evolve into larger communities beginning to become dependent upon one another. Everyone wanted the ore from Broken Hills, Vault City needed extra power, NCR needed more land, et cetera. With all the different characters vying for power (or for power to their faction), it was quite Machiavellian - unfortunately it's very possible that a player never unveils the strings between them especially if playing vanilla F2.

baronjohn

Cipher
Jaesun said:
==Oct. 23 2077==
I can't believe those bastards finally did it. Damn them all to Hell. They finally let the A-Bombs fly. We were right in the middle of trying to pry the real story out of von Felden when we completely lost contact. I have a feeling the research center was hit hard. I don't know why, just call it a gut feeling. It seems inconceivable that we were not targeted. I'm sure China will make up for that oversight real soon. Luckily, we had moved our families from outside into the facility the day before yesterday. We do not yet know if the fallout has reached this area.

Reading comprehension fail. In no way does this say that China fired first.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
baronjohn said:
Jaesun said:
==Oct. 23 2077==

Reading comprehension fail. In no way does this say that China fired first.

Indeed, however the article is correct:

The Great War
It is not known who launched the first nuclear weapon that precipitated the conflict. President Richardson would tell the Chosen One that China launched first, and this is supported by the Sierra Depot GNN Transcripts*, which indicate that China launched first because U.S. Power-Armor equipped infantry was nearing Beijing.However, the alien captive recorded logs indicate that the aliens may be to blame, as one of the logs records the aliens' attempt to get ICBM launch codes from an abducted military officer.** Who started the war is ultimately unimportant, all that matters is that it signaled an end to all large-scale conflict for years to come.

* Much of the information on this holodisk contradicts Chris Avellone's timeline from the Fallout Bible. Avellone discarded the information it contains as non-canon, saying that the Sierra Depot soldiers modified the transcripts for fun.
**Fuck Bethesda and their shitty DLC.

Lumpy

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
The first two games don't count for gaming journalists of today. They're indecipherable oddities from the annals of history.
Are you blaming the journalists of today for not knowing some obscure text in some obscure holodisk in Fallout 1?

ironyuri

Zarniwoop said:

Not to be the sole voice of reason here, but...

You do realise that in the game world few, if any, especially 200 years after the bombs fell, would know who fired first? Not with any certainty anyway.

Do you also presume that every denizen of the Wasteland braved the Glow to read that terminal? The Vault Dweller may well have been one of the few to know who fired first and at the time of New Vegas he is long dead.

You are placing player (your) knowledge above character knowledge here and committing a cRPG faux pas.

Also, have you considered the line in that article is used for dramatic effect? "No one is sure who fired first" is a classic image of mutually assured destruction mentality. When the bombs start flying, it doesn't matter who pushed the button because everything is going to hell anyway.

Basically/ tl;dr- Jesus Christ you fucking nitpicking faggot. It's a throwaway line in a mediocre article which does not even examine the factions of Fallout with any real sophistication.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
We can still hold it up for some integrity, they'll never improve their work unless people bitch about their short-comings. Someone email the author with hate mail.

genci88

Educated
Lumpy said:
Unkillable Cat said:
Are you blaming the journalists of today for not knowing some obscure text in some obscure holodisk in Fallout 1?
Then don't write an article on it. Or are they too stupid to figure out that Fallout 3 is the fourth game in the series, and that the previous iterations contain much of the backstory they're "writing" articles about.

And don't call them "journalists". They're a far cry from real journalists. These people are bottom of the barrel morons, who wouldn't know journalism if it hit them in the head.

ironyuri

GarfunkeL said:
We can still hold it up for some integrity, they'll never improve their work unless people bitch about their short-comings. Someone email the author with hate mail.

In that case, the line, while probably not referncing directly to Fallout lore, is a hackneyed attempt to position the reader of the article within the mentality of the era of mutually assured destruction using the trite and oft repeated panegyric of the apocalypse "No one knew who pressed the button first...".

A more interesting article would have examined the factions in Fallout as political entities or composites of real world notions. I made a post detailing this shit a while back and if search were working, I could find it. It was in a thread I made around the same time as "It's the RPG economy, stupid!".

Bigot_

Novice
genci88 said:
Lumpy said:
Unkillable Cat said:
Then don't write an article on it. Or are they too stupid to figure out that Fallout 3 is the fourth game in the series, and that the previous iterations contain much of the backstory they're "writing" articles about.

And don't call them "journalists". They're a far cry from real journalists. These people are bottom of the barrel morons, who wouldn't know journalism if it hit them in the head.
Implying most forms of "real journalism" aren't emotion-fuelled, dramatic pieces of shit stuffed with fillers that nearly no one outside of the localized area in which the said filler event took place cares about.

Hey guys, most of the "experts" from the last issue that we handpicked, tell us to stop putting some attention seeking teenage faggot - who shot a bunch of people and then himself in a fit of stupidity - on the front page, it just encourages them. I think we should put his face on the cover of this fucking issue and continue milking the story for weeks until it gets to the point where ten days later there's still an article of the little shit on page 30 next to a blurry photo of him at a ping pong tournament two years ago.

Trying to be elitist about journalism by bashing "gaming journalists" and praising "real journalists" in 2011 is like trying to be elitist about RPGS by bashing DA2 and praising oblivion.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun has right Chincomms were loosing the war badly thanks to mobile power armor so they let the missiles fly. Not that it woud matter anyway with food riots in US citties and natural resources almost depleted. But technicly speaking it was WW IV not III. WW III Strated with Khaliphate nuclear bombing Israel and ended with whole old world except China and maybe Russia in ashes. But what politics they found in F03? You even didn't have chance to join Enclave or Outcasts. :retarded:

Ausir

Arcane
Actually, no one knows who launched first. President Richardson is hardly objective.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
Zarniwoop said:

Fallout started with 3, like Final Fantasy started with VII :roll:

Eyeball

Arcane
Commissar Draco said:
Jaesun has right Chincomms were loosing the war badly thanks to mobile power armor so they let the missiles fly. Not that it woud matter anyway with food riots in US citties and natural resources almost depleted. But technicly speaking it was WW IV not III. WW III Strated with Khaliphate nuclear bombing Israel and ended with whole old world except China and maybe Russia in ashes. But what politics they found in F03? You even didn't have chance to join Enclave or Outcasts. :retarded:
Where does it say that the Chinese shot first? I don't remember that being in any of the 5 FO games I've played.

I would also like to hear where you get the "Kaliphate vs Israel = WW3" thing from? That really doesn't sound like something I've encountered.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eyeball said:
Commissar Draco said:
Where does it say that the Chinese shot first? I don't remember that being in any of the 5 FO games I've played.

I would also like to hear where you get the "Kaliphate vs Israel = WW3" thing from? That really doesn't sound like something I've encountered.

In the Fallout world before the Great War, the country of Israel was probably still a place where Arab-Israeli tensions often boiled over into conflict as in the real world, since in December of 2053, a terrorist nuclear weapon destroyed Tel Aviv.

The European Commonwealth had reacted to the rapid raising of oil prices to unacceptably high levels by the Middle East's oil-rich states in 2052 by unleashing military action in that region of the world. This intervention ultimately resulted in the destruction of the Israeli city of Tel Aviv on December 2053 by a terrorist nuclear device and a limited nuclear exchange between the conflict's participants in 2054, the world's first since 1945.

The Resource Wars were a series of conflicts which began in April 2052 with the start of the war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East, and ended with the Great War on October 23, 2077. Some of the conflicts include the annexation of Canada by the United States and the Chinese invasion of Alaska.

Source Vault viki and Fallout Bible, Check fallout 2 president speach and Sierra GNN holodiscs for most fleshed explenetion of great war.

Monk

Arcane
The conclusion is obvious given that resources are scarce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom