Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Preview Bonanza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Let the <strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong> preview bonanza commence!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/dungeon-siege-3-preview/" target="_blank">Joystiq hack, slash and roll.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>I was told that the current build of the game didn't let you respec characters at all, because Obsidian wants to make sure you really identify with the character you choose. The game's story plays a part in that as well. "The game sort of reacts to who you are in specific strategic locations," says creative lead George Ziets. "Lucas is descended from the old Legion, son of the old Grand Master. Arjalis is an Arkon, like <em>Dungeon Siege</em>'s version of an angel, and she has this mysterious backstory. So at certain points in the game, that becomes an issue based on who you run into. Someone knows Lucas' family, so they'll respond differently to him than they would to someone else." While there's not a full morality system in the game, there are a few choices to make, and a few consequences to deal with as well, though Ziets declined to say more for now.<br /> <br /> Taylor says that old-school PC players will appreciate that Obsidian hasn't dumbed-down the interface completely on that platform. "That's something we're starting to tackle right now," he says, "in terms of the control inputs and things like that. I think people will find that it plays very much like a PC game when we're done with the pass."<br /> <br /> Sadly, however, for old-school <em>Dungeon Siege</em> players, there is no pack mule to help carry your inventory around. "It just didn't really fit the way the game turned out," says Taylor. "It wasn't like, well we hate the pack mule, let's throw that thing out. We actually spent a lot of time discussing internally where does this go, how does it fit in, how does it match the gameplay. It was one of those things that just didn't fit the way the game was developing."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Poor pack mule, we hardly knew ye.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/67600/dungeon-siege-3-hands-on" target="_blank">Shacknews offer some positive impressions as well:</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Lucas is a fairly traditional warrior-type, and Anjali is a fire-based magic-user of sorts. All characters can utilize three different combat stances (normal, heavy, or guard) on the fly, each with different ancillary abilities. Heavy attacks have Lucas using a large primary weapon (like a huge sword), and do a lot of damage. As one would expect, normal attacks are faster, but deal less damage. The guard stance blocks enemy attacks (duh!) but can also be leveled up with additional abilities. Special attacks are unique to each stance. In the normal attack stance, Lucas can shield-bash an enemy to stun and damage them, but the special attack becomes a high powered dash when in the heavy attack stance.<br /><br />Anjali, on the other hand, wields spear-type weaponry and can issue a spinning kick to enemies in her primary stance. In her secondary stance (which transforms her into a floating, other-worldly "fire-spirit" version of herself, Anjali can use a power called the Aura of Immolation to lay down a fiery radius that damages enemies, or lob fireballs at enemies from range. Blending these abilities in combat can be very effective. When playing as Anjali, throwing down the Aura of Immolation at the start of combat, and then quickly switching to her spear to swipe at the attackers while they burned, proved quite effective.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/1201/dungeon-siege-3-preview" target="_blank">AtomicGamer found out how to unleash street-fighter like super-combos</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Your abilities are fueled from a Focus bar that resembles mana, and connecting with normal attacks quickly refills this bar. This leads to you carefully mixing in special attacks with your regular ones, and then once you&rsquo;ve fired off enough of your mana-using special abilities, you&rsquo;ll fill up these little purple orbs at the bottom of your screen, allowing you to unleash heals for yourself or even more powerful moves reminiscent of Super Combos in <em>Street Fighter</em>. I played with this and found that early on in the game, heals wound up being the most useful application of these orbs, but I can see plenty of situations and RPG builds where that changes.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16813">RPGWatch</a></p>

Taylor says that old-school PC players will appreciate that Obsidian hasn't dumbed-down the interface completely on that platform.

This implies there was some dumbing down... in Dungeon Siege... the screensaver...

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Poor pack mule, we hardly knew ye.

Are you implying that you hardly had to use ph4t l00t to get anywhere in the screensaver? :smug:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I just can't muster the slightest interest in a Dungeon Siege game, I'm sorry. I would say I tried, but I didn't even have the energy for that. I just... can't get interested in Dungeon Siege, of all series.

Gord

Arcane
Ah, Dungeon Siege...

That was really an eye-opener for me.
If only for the fact that the most boring game ever got such rave reviews by the press...

Black

Arcane
hasn't dumbed-down the interface completely
Obsi didn't dumb down interface in NWN 2 either and it was still terrible.
Still, this will probably be my first DS which I'll play

torpid

Liturgist
"The game sort of reacts to who you are in specific strategic locations," says creative lead George Ziets. "Lucas is descended from the old Legion, son of the old Grand Master. Arjalis is an Arkon, like Dungeon Siege's version of an angel, and she has this mysterious backstory. So at certain points in the game, that becomes an issue based on who you run into. Someone knows Lucas' family, so they'll respond differently to him than they would to someone else." While there's not a full morality system in the game, there are a few choices to make, and a few consequences to deal with as well

OMG guyz Obsidian does it again, C&C and deep story oh MCA <3 <3 <3

Article said:
Sadly, however, for old-school Dungeon Siege players, there is no pack mule to help carry your inventory around. "It just didn't really fit the way the game turned out," says Taylor. "It wasn't like, well we hate the pack mule, let's throw that thing out. We actually spent a lot of time discussing internally where does this go, how does it fit in, how does it match the gameplay. It was one of those things that just didn't fit the way the game was developing."

Was that the best excuse you could come up with? Pathetic. If this game turns out anything like a Dungeon Siege game, then you know players will universally complain about it not being there, so why be such an ignoramus? You're supposed to know this shit.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Excommunicator said:
Article said:
Sadly, however, for old-school Dungeon Siege players, there is no pack mule to help carry your inventory around. "It just didn't really fit the way the game turned out," says Taylor. "It wasn't like, well we hate the pack mule, let's throw that thing out. We actually spent a lot of time discussing internally where does this go, how does it fit in, how does it match the gameplay. It was one of those things that just didn't fit the way the game was developing."

Was that the best excuse you could come up with? Pathetic. If this game turns out anything like a Dungeon Siege game, then you know players will universally complain about it not being there, so why be such an ignoramus? You're supposed to know this shit.

Inventory in DS3 works a different way now. And not beeing Dungeon Siege is a good thing.

IronicNeurotic said:
Excommunicator said:
Article said:

Inventory in DS3 works a different way now. And not beeing Dungeon Siege is a good thing.

How is it different?

Radisshu

Prophet
I don't think this sounds very good, but I don't really care since I've never been even remotely interested in Dungeon Siege.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Radisshu said:
I've never been even remotely interested in Dungeon Siege.

Same here, until I heard Zeit's was attached to it. SO I went from Ignore to mildly interested. Story still kinda sounds herpa derp old legion, build army derp ancient evil herpa derp.

spectre

Arcane
I bet if they had changed the mule into a kawaii animal pet, stuffies, nya and all that, it would have suddenly all make sense in the gameplay.

Anyways, never finished any of the Dungeon Sieges, 1 kept me interested for about 3/4, whereas in 2 i barely made it past the tutorial. I remember 1 was indeed technically impressive at that time (all the atmospheric lighting and level streaming)... and that's about it.
Won't bother with number 3 at all, probably.
For mindless clickety, I'll just wait for Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
Radisshu said:
I've never been even remotely interested in Dungeon Siege.

Same here, until I heard Zeit's was attached to it. SO I went from Ignore to mildly interested. Story still kinda sounds herpa derp old legion, build army derp ancient evil herpa derp.

There is no ancient evil.

There is a guy who planned a coup and did it.

Like this:

- Guy brings army in miscredit in the eyes of the monarch
- Monarch slaps army
- Guy turns on monarchy.

Guy is all like

:smug:

Its still fairly standard but it has potential. Especially if its written by a guy like Ziets.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not a big Ziets fan, but hey, I suck Obshit cock, so bring it on. It might just have some good writing, eh? Eh? A rousing tale about betrayal, immortality and dreams?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
Not a big Ziets fan, but hey, I suck Obshit cock, so bring it on. It might just have some good writing, eh? Eh? A rousing tale about betrayal, immortality and dreams?

You didn't like the story in Mask of the Betrayer?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I have higher hopes for this than any other mainstream 'RPG' this year. NV was good/OK but they have never released two good games in a row.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jaesun said:
Jasede said:

You didn't like the story in Mask of the Betrayer?

I loved it. But anyone with a "z" in their last name is NOT to be trusted.

ortucis

Prophet
I love ever game Obsidian has ever done so that is the reason why I am interested in DS3.

Anjali, on the other hand, wields spear-type weaponry and can issue a spinning kick to enemies in her primary stance.
Well at least they are trying to copy from Hindu mytholgy a bit more, which is a plus (esp. if done by Obsidian).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom