Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><a href="http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3021872" target="_blank">Another interview</a> with CDProjekt's Tomek Gop is available at AusGamers.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>AG:</strong> I love it. I loved the first Witcher; it was great. I always found that the combat was pretty unique and it took a little while to get used to compared to everything else, this time you seemed to have approached that a little bit differently, can you talk about that... <br /> <br /><strong>Tom:</strong> Yeah, sure. There was a lot of feedback on the combat from The Witcher 1, so obviously with that there was a lot of things we could do about it; there were actually two main reasons why combat is so different in The Witcher 2 - the first one was a lot of people thought it was too hardcore [and] as you mentioned a lot of people actually had to take an effort to learn it and some people didn&rsquo;t want to do that because they&rsquo;re not into combat, they&rsquo;re into story. So the first change that we&rsquo;ve done is real-time; you&rsquo;re not bound to any pre-defined stances of your sword or anything - you can mix anything at any time and it&rsquo;s really easy to learn, but on the other hand we wanted to keep the complexity for all those [who] want to master the combat. So it is hard to master, there are a lot of tactics that the whole character development contains; unique gameplay oriented skills that you might actually want to do.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>So, they removed the steep learning curve of the TW1 combat system (which to remind you consisted of nothing more than to click every x seconds) but somehow managed to retain all the complexity and stuff. Makes sense.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101654-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have seen [The Witcher 2] working on current-gen consoles... like, we ported parts of the game to make sure that it looks good; it doesn’t look worse than on a PC, and it plays as well and the interface is already ready to control it with a game-pad

Hmmm.

I don't quite understand what's going in that question and answer.

Basically, TWitcher 1's combat was easy and simple and most people I assume ( I FUCKING HOPE SO!!!) found it too easy too. Or simplistic. Now, I'm not a genius nor am I physic but I kinda got the feeling that CD Project KNOWS about the TWitcher's lack of a decent combat system. Right?

Now along comes this guy who interviews CD Project and says

...I always found that the combat was pretty unique and it took a little while to get used to compared to everything else, this time you seemed to have approached that a little bit differently, can you talk about that...

Which suggests to me that this guy is probably REALLY stupid (not surprising, gaem journalist). But not only that, Tom goes on to say

...there were actually two main reasons why combat is so different in The Witcher 2 - the first one was a lot of people thought it was too hardcore [and] as you mentioned a lot of people actually had to take an effort to learn it and some people didn’t want to do that because they’re not into combat, they’re into story.

So they both are CONFIRMING that TWitcher 1's combat was too hardcore!?!?

:retarded:

Unless I completely missed something. Like TWitcher's combat actually being hard. Somewhere...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
talking sausage said:

Basically, TWitcher 1's combat was easy and simple and most people I assume ( I FUCKING HOPE SO!!!) found it too easy too.
IIRC, a lot of people were bitching about the combat system after release, because they couldn't fight correctly in the game. Most of them were just clicking like a madman, because they couldn't understand, that they only have to click once, when the icon flashes.

Black

Arcane
I don't get it too. Did people call it "hardcore" because they thought it was hard when they got killed by that rape-plant in the swamps? Or is clicking every 2 seconds too hardcore now?

J_C said:
talking sausage said:

Basically, TWitcher 1's combat was easy and simple and most people I assume ( I FUCKING HOPE SO!!!) found it too easy too.
IIRC, a lot of people were bitching about the combat system after release, because they couldn't fight correctly in the game. Most of them were just clicking like a madman, because they couldn't understand, that they only have to click once, when the icon flashes.

I can confirm this, as I actually had to explain this mind-blowing concept to several people.

Yep, lower the bar evin moar pleez so no fucktard is left out.

Dantus12

Educated
Funny thing is that the combat is now harder, just different.

And yes everyone complained even Alec Meer and some others :

It goes something like this: wave the little sword icon over an enemy, click and hold the button down. Realise it's not worked, try again. Eventually a circle appears around the icon and Albino Viggo will start swording. Keep holding until the icon turns orange. Click nownownow to activate a stronger attack, unless the enemy has moved slightly. Repeat.

source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/17 ... /?site=pcg

He complained for getting the combat completely wrong, and their forums where full of it.

Well now there is a beginner proof mode and ways to play the game when you know what you are doing.

----------------------

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
commie said:
The Witcher 2 will be the best game ever. FACT.

Volly is a cunt that needs to be banned for using 'sozzy'. FACT.

He's just so butthurt that witcher 2 is MORE an RPG that Dragon Age II could ever hope to be. r00fles!!!

Exmit

Scholar
Sorry potato, but Witcher 2 will be big shit because combat is even more shitty with more mouse button mashin than Witcher 1.

Radisshu

Prophet
Exmit said:
Sorry potato, but Witcher 2 will be big shit because combat is even more shitty with more mouse button mashin than Witcher 1.

No. r00fles!

Baron

Arcane
Scaling challenges to a person's ability has been around in games for years, and would solve this issue. If a sucker is a button masher whose frequent early deaths and failure to execute even intermediate moves is due to a drool slick keyboard then tailor the fights downwards. The program should ignore all damage and after ten seconds have the enemy combatants fall down on the ground dead, their loot already neatly boxed lying beside them. Sense of accomplishment achieved.

Likewise for those who have mastered complex moves as introduced to them throughout the game stages, or those that the program records as utilizing potions and unique and pertinent items, throw additional underlings at the player and scale up the boss monsters speed, damage and hitpoints. There are joys to be had when defeating a mob.

People will question why you should try at all, and upon this I have meditated at length. Two things; first... Achievements. In game rankings beginning at 'Pub Dickhead' all the way up to 'Ace Witcher' and 'Bad MF Albino.' The second is combat styles. The button masher defeats opponents with oafish grunts and overhead swings. Kicking prone opponents is permissable, and Geralt occasionally interjects combat with barbs like "HA!" Combat for those who've mastered it however should resemble the graceful combat of Li Mu Bai. And THAT is a reward in itself. (This I learned from C64 Barbarian and IK+.)

Dantus12 said:
Also can someone deduce from Polish if this is legit:

http://witcher2beta.blogspot.com/

It mentions beta keys, also watch your real time protection don't know what it is.

That sounds like fake. If there were any betas for Witcher 2 then all gaming media would do a shitload of noise about it.

And you can bet it wouldn't be on a blogspot but one of many CDP websites.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Dantus12 said:
Also can someone deduce from Polish if this is legit:

http://witcher2beta.blogspot.com/

It mentions beta keys, also watch your real time protection don't know what it is.

958966.jpg

torpid

Liturgist
This thread already smells of potato

I hope that getting rid of the sword stances means they've implemented proper ARPG combat and not just dumbed down the whole thing and reduced it to button-mashing. Still, I won't regret the first game's lulzy QTE combat.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Baron said:
Scaling challenges to a person's ability has been around in games for years, and would solve this issue. If a sucker is a button masher whose frequent early deaths and failure to execute even intermediate moves is due to a drool slick keyboard then tailor the fights downwards. The program should ignore all damage and after ten seconds have the enemy combatants fall down on the ground dead, their loot already neatly boxed lying beside them. Sense of accomplishment achieved.

No. Just no. I hate that mechanic.
I do hope you are being ironical.
If I'd want an easier time, I'll could reduce the game's difficulty myself.

If I'm failing a fight again and again, and then finally go through a difficult part, I want to know it because I managed to figure it out, not that the game have decided to give me me a free pass.
If I'd know, that lets's say, the game gets more easy after three failures, I'd feel compeled to restart the game after every three faliures. That is, until I'd have decided that it is too much of the bother, and uninstalled a worthless piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom