Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mount & Blade with Guns

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

<p>Paradox is just now getting around to the official announcement of <strong>Mount &amp; Blade: With Fire and Sword</strong>, which is either an expansion or a mod or a mod of a mod, depending on <a href="http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,155620.45.html" target="_blank">who you talk to</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Paradox Interactive and Taleworlds Entertainment today announced the newest addition in the action RPG series, Mount &amp; Blade.&nbsp; Mount &amp; Blade: With Fire and Sword features great new additions such as fully customizable troops, new siege options, and an exciting new age of weaponry and is set for a Q2 2011 release.<br /><br />&ldquo;This is a fantastic addition to the Mount &amp; Blade franchise,&rdquo; says Armagan Yavuz, Lead Developer &amp; Founder of Taleworlds Entertainment.&nbsp; &ldquo;The features included in With Fire and Sword fulfill many of our fans' requests&rdquo;<br /><br />Get an overview of the war to come by checking out the announcement trailer! <br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRAUAyxDiE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRAUAyxDiE</a><br /><br />With Fire &amp; Sword also builds and expands upon the highly regarded combat system from Mount &amp; Blade: Warband. Firearms have been introduced to the battlefield, opening up exciting new play-styles and options. Players can also utilize explosives for taking out groups of foes or to breach castle walls. In addition to the enhanced singleplayer mode, With Fire and Sword also provides a host of original multiplayer content including the new Captain Mode which allows players to control their own forces in online matches.</blockquote>
<p>You can also check out previews at <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1145516p1.html" target="_blank">IGN</a> and <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8587-Preview-Mount-Blade-With-Fire-and-Sword" target="_blank">The Escapist</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

ortucis

Prophet
“This is a fantastic addition to the Mount & Blade franchise,” says Armagan Yavuz, Lead Developer & Founder of Taleworlds Entertainment. “The features included in With Fire and Sword fulfill many of our fans' requests”

How come in announcements there is always a quote from leads telling us how awesome the new addon/game is? I mean, it just makes the person quoted look like a douche when the game falls flat on its balls.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Re: Mount & Blade with Guns

Jason said:
<p>Paradox is just now getting around to the official announcement of <strong>Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword</strong>, which is either an expansion or a mod or a mod of a mod, depending on <a href="http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,155620.45.html" target="_blank">who you talk to</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Paradox Interactive and Taleworlds Entertainment today announced the newest addition in the action RPG series, Mount & Blade.  Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword features great new additions such as fully customizable troops, new siege options, and an exciting new age of weaponry and is set for a Q2 2011 release.<br /><br />“This is a fantastic addition to the Mount & Blade franchise,” says Armagan Yavuz, Lead Developer & Founder of Taleworlds Entertainment.  “The features included in With Fire and Sword fulfill many of our fans' requests”<br /><br />Get an overview of the war to come by checking out the announcement trailer! <br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRAUAyxDiE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRAUAyxDiE</a><br /><br />With Fire & Sword also builds and expands upon the highly regarded combat system from Mount & Blade: Warband. Firearms have been introduced to the battlefield, opening up exciting new play-styles and options. Players can also utilize explosives for taking out groups of foes or to breach castle walls. In addition to the enhanced singleplayer mode, With Fire and Sword also provides a host of original multiplayer content including the new Captain Mode which allows players to control their own forces in online matches.</blockquote>
<p>You can also check out previews at <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1145516p1.html" target="_blank">IGN</a> and <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8587-Preview-Mount-Blade-With-Fire-and-Sword" target="_blank">The Escapist</a>.</p>
<p> </p>

News so old that it's news?? :retarded:

Morkar Left

I'm curious how this game turns out. Could be a good improvement.

Btw, he said franchise :(

deuxhero

Arcane
Also mentioned in the Escapist article is that a M&B sequel is in the works as well (I want naval combat!).

As for this, having a storyline is :incline:. The mention of sides has me a little :? as they don't mention the true Mount & Blade style, TAKE OVER THE WORLD! (Of course!) and screw all the default factions.

denizsi

Arcane
This is like our PM attending a dozen "public openings" every week, of facilities that has already been open and working for years priorly with no change whatsoever.

Topher

Cipher
The trailer was crap but I'm really liking the game despite the forums full of retards upset that they die trying to bring a knife to a gunfight by charging headfirst into a line of gunfire.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Topher said:
The trailer was crap but I'm really liking the game despite the forums full of retards upset that they die trying to bring a knife to a gunfight by charging headfirst into a line of gunfire.

They fail a basic intelligence check, then.

How is the amor system against firearms?
Does plate provides any kind of protection have they gone realistic?

Topher

Cipher
Krraloth said:
Topher said:

They fail a basic intelligence check, then.

How is the amor system against firearms?
Does plate provides any kind of protection have they gone realistic?

The economy is insane and so I've haven't been able to afford any plate armor yet. The armor that I can currently afford has a max armor rating around +4 (which doesn't do a damn thing against guns, which I've heard are armor penetrating anyway) and the half-plate armor I saw only provided a whopping +15, in contrast to the armor in Warband that often offered +40 or so. I have seen an enemy in plate survive a relatively close-range gunshot to the chest once but I was using one of the weakest firearms available so who knows.

My rule is don't get shot because I've never survived being hit. I've taken to reloading and firing from behind my horse... needless to say that doesn't often bode well for my horses.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Consensus in the indie community appears to be "oh whoop guns in my action rpg how refreshing ps warband is better'.

Topher

Cipher
sgc_meltdown said:
Consensus in the indie community appears to be "oh whoop guns in my action rpg how refreshing ps warband is better'.

More or less but I really like the firearms dynamic and the general time period.

Morkar Left

I was planning to buy the Collectors Edition with map and movie to have finally a boxed copy of M&B.

But after reading the forums it seems there are nice additions (buying equipment for your troops, firearms, breaches at sieges) and some cutted features without replacement (kingdom management, tournaments).

Please, can somebody list the changes and features of WFaS? Are the rpg-elements improved? How are the added questline-missions? Companions have more dialog? A living and breathing world? How is the economy changed? Opponents use formations?

sgc_meltdown said:

And if they wanted guns, both M&B and Warband have mods that add them in. Without being buggy shit.

Kraszu said:
What about the western mod, any good?

1866? Oh yeah, great atmosphere. It's hard helping one of the Gangs rise to anything approaching the prominence of the major factions. The AI is bone stupid.

Needless to say, siege assaults when most of the defenders wield guns are painful and over quick. Bring plenty of fodder.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morkar said:
I was planning to buy the Collectors Edition with map and movie to have finally a boxed copy of M&B.

But after reading the forums it seems there are nice additions (buying equipment for your troops, firearms, breaches at sieges) and some cutted features without replacement (kingdom management, tournaments).

Please, can somebody list the changes and features of WFaS? Are the rpg-elements improved? How are the added questline-missions? Companions have more dialog? A living and breathing world? How is the economy changed? Opponents use formations?
I haven't played that much, but aside from some moderately expanded multiplayer and the additions of guns plus the new aesthetic, the improvements to single-player are fairly modest. There are now caravans you can send between towns, with you netting some share of the profit (I think, I actually haven't got far enough to mess too much with it), and there seems to be at least some semblance of a narrative, although how deep it runs and whether there is a definite endgame or objectives to follow, I'm not sure. The dialogue has been noticeably improved, with much more expressive characters and conversations that are both well written and fit the period better, but again, I'm not sure how repetitive that sort of thing will get or how much it's reused.

Overall seems mostly like more of the same, which isn't a bad thing, but not necessarily worth putting money down on yet. If I were you I'd wait for a couple more patches, mods, and maybe a few sales, unless you really, really want to shoot guns from horseback.

zeitgeist

Magister
How is the character customization in recent M&B versions and prominent mods? I mean everything from appearance to stats, skills, equipment etc.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
zeitgeist said:
How is the character customization in recent M&B versions and prominent mods? I mean everything from appearance to stats, skills, equipment etc.
Can't comment on mods, but in Fire & Sword, it's pretty much identical to Warband, except you've got stats for guns (both on the ground and horseback), a single firearms proficiency (grenades go under throwing if I recall correctly), and they've taken out the option to play as a female, presumably due to being based on a real historical setting rather than in a fantasy world. All other stats strike me as identical, though there might be some minor tweaks here and there. Appearance-wise, I think there might be a few new face textures, and a few new hair models, but they've added what I believe might be a literal fuck-ton of moustaches and beards, many of them positively ridiculous. Which, of course, I approve of.

Eyeball

Arcane
I have this game but honestly can't tell if it's enough of an improvement to tear me away from my ongoing Prophecy of Pendor game. I can't help but feel that adding storyline to a game like M&B is a bit like adding chocolate to pizza - both things fine on their own, but a bit of a mess when combined.

My biggest question is: Are sieges less of a clusterfuck now? One of the selling points was that you'd be able to blast holes in walls now. I did one of the quicbattle sieges and the walls seemed extremely unimpressed with anything I could do to them, making it necessary to walk up those freaking ladders to a faceful of hot lead.

Is the "blast walls" thing only available on the siege selection screen and not actually available in-battle? If so, that's kinda lame - take the HOMM series, one of the cooler moments in sieges is when you breach the enemy walls with your catapult and send your hordes of goblins charging across the moat. They really should have added something like a field battery to M&B sieges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom