Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas - RPG of the Year

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>PC Gamer is declaring <strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong> their <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/11/pc-gamer-uss-games-of-the-year-awards/3/" target="_blank">Roleplaying Game of the Year</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Obsidian&rsquo;s writing sparkles with fascinating characters and quests that pay loving homage to the franchise&rsquo;s PC roots at every opportunity. Its main quest begins as a small-scale tale of personal revenge in the Mojave, but blossoms into an opportunity to decide the outcome of a wide-open conflict that will upset the balance of power of an entire region. Nothing empowers us as players more than seeing the effects of our choices play out, and Fallout: New Vegas&rsquo; conflict can be resolved in so many ways that it gives us a feeling of freedom and control virtually unprecedented among modern games. Roleplaying games don&rsquo;t get a whole lot better than this.</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/26/new-vegas-wins-pc-gamer-rpg-of-the-year/">BethBlog</a></p>

baronjohn

Cipher
RPGs these days are made for 12 year olds, so this is entirely appropriate.

torpid

Liturgist
They chose it for the right reasons, so this is :incline:

Although they'll still rave over the nextgen crap being shovelled out, it seems that gaming journos do acknowledge a good game when they see one -- how much of that is due to Bethesda producing the game, I don't know.

Skyrim will be 10/10 GOTY 2011 regardless.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What else was in the running for 2010? And where is our Codex RPG game of the year article?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
torpid said:

Although they'll still rave over the nextgen crap being shovelled out, it seems that gaming journos do acknowledge a good game when they see one -- how much of that is due to Bethesda producing the game, I don't know.

2011 is Bethesda vs Bioware

Will we survive?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
torpid said:

Yes indeed.

Plus they would never give it to an indie game, so what were their other options really? Arcania?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Bioware will win by a mile. DA2 and ME3 will shit all over anything released this year and will be the bestest gaemz eVAH1

Eyeball

Arcane
NV is a good game. I had fun with it.

Well deserved prize, in my opinion.

If not NV, what game SHOULD have won it?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
racofer said:
Bioware will win by a mile. DA2 and ME3 will shit all over anything released this year and will be the bestest gaemz eVAH1

either way we lose

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IronicNeurotic said:
torpid said:

2011 is Bethesda vs Bioware
Yep, they will fight for the 2nd place. Since the 1st one is already reserved for CD Projekt and The Witcher 2. :smug:

Pegultagol

Erudite
Obsidian's entry in 2011 after NV: Dungeon Siege III

right back on track where they aspire to be...any takers whether this would prove whether NV was a momentary lapse in Obsidian's descent to undermountain?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pegultagol said:
Obsidian's entry in 2011 after NV: Dungeon Siege III

right back on track where they aspire to be...any takers whether this would prove whether NV was a momentary lapse in Obsidian's descent to undermountain?
I have faith in them, and I think they will make a good hack 'n slash-action-rpg (whatever genre it will be). But I'm just a Obsidian fanboy, so I might be wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom