Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4870 versus 5770

Pablosdog

Prophet
I'm currently using an 5830, and have had no problems running a variety of games. Where the fuck does this ati hate come from? Less heat usage, direct-x features, won't melt the cpu. I have had NO problems with this series of ati cards. At least Ati supports open source driver development. I've used to the same drivers(10.3), and so far all games have worked flawlessly

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Twinkle said:
Skyway is right, save for 460.

Yep, skyway is absolutely right. GTX460's are the best value (bang for buck) available right now. Note though the 1GB model is significantly better than the 768MB (it's not just memory size).

They were, now it's probably the 470, that card had a massive price drop and the drivers have matured for fermi right across the board.

Multi-headed Cow

Oh well, going from 8800GS to GTS250 wasn't much of an upgrade. Wasn't expecting much from it and didn't get much from it, but it was cheap so I won't be too worried.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Grunker said:
Haha PhysX haha

It's an added feature, something ATi tards wouldn't know anything about.

So, more features, better drivers, far far better dev support and are now more competetive with their pricing than their AMD counterparts.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So much butthurt about NVidia cards having more better features ITT

PhysX is cooler and much more impressive than anything DX10 or DX11 have to offer.
After I saw Cryostasis and Mirror's Edge with and without it I can't imagine PhysX not being a mandatory requirement for my vcard now. Even Mafia2 becomes more impressive visually with it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So now you can play all those popamole banalshitboring shooters you don't play with improved graphics!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Octo-icoo.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
Metalcraze said:
PhysX is cooler and much more impressive than anything DX10 or DX11 have to offer.

Not everyone finds shitty bouncing debris impressive. PhysX ragdolls are still a joke hardly better than stuff Havok achieved in 2004 with HL2. Volumetric smoke and fog aren't anything new, either. Even cloth physics were implemented in VtmB purely on CPU. The only noticeably good thing about PhysX - liquid simulation - is barely used.

Multi-headed Cow

MetalCraze said:
So much butthurt about NVidia cards having more better features ITT

After I saw Cryostasis and Mirror's Edge with and without it I can't imagine PhysX not being a mandatory requirement for my vcard now. Even Mafia2 becomes more impressive visually with it
Cryostasis has PhysX goodies? Neat. I picked that up during a Steam sale but haven't looked at it yet. Wish more games supported it after I dicked with it in Mirror's Edge, it was kinda cool.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:
Volumetric smoke and fog aren't anything new, either.
So?

Even cloth physics were implemented in VtmB purely on CPU.
So?

Jeez man if these effects existed before doesn't mean that the way they look always stays the same. VtmB has nothing on cloth physics in say, Mafia 2.
And then we have Mirror's Edge where you can cut through various stuff.
Try running that on CPU and watch single digit FPS'es.

The only noticeably good thing about PhysX - liquid simulation - is barely used.
It's the most demanding effect yes.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Cryostasis has PhysX goodies?
They even made a PhysX tech-demo based on it solely for purposes of showcasing the cool stuff. And it does look cool. It has PhysX accelerated water too.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Metalcraze said:
Try running that on CPU and watch single digit FPS'es.

Huh, that's the root of the problem. PC CPU implementation is deliberately shitty and nV openly admits it. The main competition for PhysX isn't ATi: after all Radeon users can buy cheap second nV card to enable gpu acceleration and nV gets their share of money, albeit smaller. New CPUs on the other side can shake the very foundation of nVidia's claims that GPUs are several times better at calculating physics.

But that's not my main gripe with PhysX. Poor customizing potential coupled with poor performance are (though APEX shows some promise in that regard). In comparison CryEngine 2 is the king of physics scalability. From good but not particularly outstanding vanilla effects to stuff like this or this. BTW, Crysis even had optional GPU particle acceleration which performed slower compared to CPU. Wonders of Turkish German engineering. :salute:

I think that arguing about PhysX or DX versions is almost pointless considering that the stagnation is so deep that certain game from 2007 rapes almost everything available on the market in tech department.

made

Arcane
People constantly bringing up ATI driver issues make me go :retarded:

Last time I used an NV card, I spent hours fiddling with desktop colors and it still ended up looking like shit, their version of a control center was a huge mess that didn't let you change the simplest settings like brightness. Not to mention WoW was constantly crashing with the newest drivers so I had to try out several 3rd party versions to find one that ran stable. Bought ATI card next and never looked back. Didn't have one problem since, 2D or 3D.

But yeah, I can see PhysX is an essential feature for all the nextgen popamole shooter fags. :smug:

Destroid

Arcane
I've had more issues with ATI than with Nvidia over the years.

But really, there's no inherent advantage to one over the guy, just buy whatever is at a good price atm.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Destroid said:
just buy whatever is at a good price atm.

'xactly. Unless you feel like spending an extra 100 bucks to get a 0.5% increase so you can hail at your inner graphix whore.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pegultagol said:
Codex SKYWAY wrangling over the merits of which has the best eye candy?
:smug:

Destroid said:
But really, there's no inherent advantage to one over the guy, just buy whatever is at a good price atm.
Sensible opinion? Get out of here Stalker.
Seriously, yeah that's pretty much it. The only reason I've used 2 ATI cards in a row is that both times it was the sensible option when I got it. If I was to buy a card now I'd probably get Nvidia. And if I had bought a card in-between these 2 it would've definitely been the 8800.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom