Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare's iPhone mistake, sales targets and review scores

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p><a href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/in_the_house_with_dr_greg_zeschuk.html">In an interview with videogamer.com</a>, BioWare's Greg Zeschuk takes a bit of a shot at sales targets... sort of:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: I was going to say. If Mass Effect 2 is a 'minor hit', I can't wait to see a major one. </strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>GZ:</strong> Well, we need to sell 10 million units. That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful. I know Mass [Effect 2] is number eight so far this year, in North America. Sometimes I'm facetious when I say some of those things, knowing that we can sell a few million but seeing that someone else can sell 25. You're kinda like, 'Well, that's a hit!' We always joke that if we only do half as well as Blizzard on Star Wars: The Old Republic, we'll be quite satisfied. We've been very fortunate. I always joke about that, but...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The urge to make Dragon Age: Gears of War must be getting overwhelming.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: Talking of spin-offs, how do you feel about Mass Effect on the iPhone? Was it something worth attempting? </strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>GZ:</strong> Oh, I think it was very worth attempting. Even when something's not as successful as you'd like, you can take some lessons away and apply them, right? For us, that's kind of where humility comes in, to eat the humble pie on the Mass iPhone game [laughs] and go, 'Yeeeaaah, we made a big mistake,' in the sense that we thought story could carry it. [...] an iPhone app able to somehow access one of the other games' universes, or something. That would be really cool. [...] What's interesting is imagining things like the unlocking games on your iPhone. [...] Suddenly you have to pull out your iPhone, to unlock the thing!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>If I understand that correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but he's saying you'd be playing Mass Effect on your PC and to get further, you'd pull out your iPhone in order to complete a puzzle before you could move on.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I guess they didn't learn from their earlier mistake. Hyuk?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Finally though, I want to quote this bit:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: What's your opinion of review scores? How worthy are they?</strong><br /><br />GZ: Well, I think they have an impact. [...] I don't think they always reflect the quality of the game, for example, with kids games the review scores aren't written with the context of the audience in mind. They're written from the reviewer's perspective, and they often won't put themselves mentally in the place of a 12-year-old boy who the game is made for. Instead they review it as a 22-year-old hardcore gamer and go, 'This is terrible!'.<br />[...]<br />What we did in the case of both Mass and Dragon Age, the guys went through all the reviews and pulled out positives and negatives. We put it all down and looked at the whole feedback. While in a sense we're trying not to simply develop to the review score, it's a good source of data. Reviewers play a lot of games, they're opinions often reflect the core segment, and generally they're well put-together and comprehensible. Fan feedback can be all over the map, right?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Right?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blues News</a></p>

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I also see that you have taken care the Codex gets the internets it deserves, very smart move, you should however make it so that url gets automatically invoked when submitting a post, trusting those fucks to do their patriotic duty is naive

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I also see that you have taken care the Codex gets the internets it deserves, very smart move, you should however make it so that url gets automatically invoked when submitting a post, trusting those fucks to do their patriotic duty is naive

Well you can only post once which blows.

ortucis

Prophet
This isn't the first time I have read a comment from developer who openly thumps his chest and pats his dick claiming how their game is aiming for the best review scores.

Oh I mean analyzing the "feedback" (from the people who are giving their games 9/10, they are analyzing THAT feedback). Pathetic.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Re: BioWare's iPhone mistake,sales targets and review scores

DarkUnderlord said:
I don't think they always reflect the quality of the game... They're written from the reviewer's perspective, and they often won't put themselves mentally in the place of a 12-year-old boy who the game is made for.

Oh, the irony.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
commie said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Well you can only post once which blows.

You can click again if you have a different IP, I've got a static IP here at work though.

Jim Profit

Educated
ortucis said:
Oh I mean analyzing the "feedback" (from the people who are giving their games 9/10, they are analyzing THAT feedback). Pathetic.
True. If you really cared about innovation, you'd center your feedback on the negative reviews. If I was developing a game, I wouldn't care what the good reviews said, but the bad. Ofcourse people can find good in a game, it's a fucking game!!!

But I want to know where they think I went wrong, what could be done to improve on it, and how big of a booboo it actually was... But then again, if people did this. There'd be no videogames as all these companies ever do is jack themselves off and that's why only one or two video games worth a damn get released per year. :x

I mean lets face it, what good games cameout recently for their respective consoles?

PS3: Infamous (IE: Grimdark Static Shock)
Xbox 360: >>Implying 360 has any exclusive titles.
Wii: New Super Mario Bros (And this is only really fun with friends)

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Re: BioWare's iPhone mistake,sales targets and review scores

DarkUnderlord said:
<p><a href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/in_the_house_with_dr_greg_zeschuk.html">In an interview with videogamer.com</a>, BioWare's Greg Zeschuk takes a bit of a shot at sales targets... sort of:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: I was going to say. If Mass Effect 2 is a 'minor hit', I can't wait to see a major one. </strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>GZ:</strong> Well, we need to sell 10 million units. That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful. I know Mass [Effect 2] is number eight so far this year, in North America. Sometimes I'm facetious when I say some of those things, knowing that we can sell a few million but seeing that someone else can sell 25. You're kinda like, 'Well, that's a hit!' We always joke that if we only do half as well as Blizzard on Star Wars: The Old Republic, we'll be quite satisfied. We've been very fortunate. I always joke about that, but...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The urge to make Dragon Age: Gears of War must be getting overwhelming.</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: Talking of spin-offs, how do you feel about Mass Effect on the iPhone? Was it something worth attempting? </strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>GZ:</strong> Oh, I think it was very worth attempting. Even when something's not as successful as you'd like, you can take some lessons away and apply them, right? For us, that's kind of where humility comes in, to eat the humble pie on the Mass iPhone game [laughs] and go, 'Yeeeaaah, we made a big mistake,' in the sense that we thought story could carry it. [...] an iPhone app able to somehow access one of the other games' universes, or something. That would be really cool. [...] What's interesting is imagining things like the unlocking games on your iPhone. [...] Suddenly you have to pull out your iPhone, to unlock the thing!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I understand that correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but he's saying you'd be playing Mass Effect on your PC and to get further, you'd pull out your iPhone in order to complete a puzzle before you could move on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess they didn't learn from their earlier mistake. Hyuk?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Finally though, I want to quote this bit:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>Q: What's your opinion of review scores? How worthy are they?</strong><br /><br />GZ: Well, I think they have an impact. [...] I don't think they always reflect the quality of the game, for example, with kids games the review scores aren't written with the context of the audience in mind. They're written from the reviewer's perspective, and they often won't put themselves mentally in the place of a 12-year-old boy who the game is made for. Instead they review it as a 22-year-old hardcore gamer and go, 'This is terrible!'.<br />[...]<br />What we did in the case of both Mass and Dragon Age, the guys went through all the reviews and pulled out positives and negatives. We put it all down and looked at the whole feedback. While in a sense we're trying not to simply develop to the review score, it's a good source of data. Reviewers play a lot of games, they're opinions often reflect the core segment, and generally they're well put-together and comprehensible. Fan feedback can be all over the map, right?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Right?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blues News</a></p>

I would like to point out all the stuff this dude said that convinced me he is some kind of mongoloid, but I don't even know where to begin. Blaming reviewers for not reviewing from the perspective of a 12-year old?

Ok, Citizen Kane: this movie has no titties, no blood, and no explosions, totally gay!

Drakron

Arcane
The 10 million is a HIGHLY unrealistic goal.

Halo 3 sold 8 million.
CoD:MW2 sold more that 12 million but lets look at launch data ... sold 4.7 million, The total revenue from first day sales in the U.S. and the UK was $310 million.

So did ME2 cost more that $600 millions to create?

Bottom line is, he wants for the games to sell gazillion like long established franchises as Halo or CoD just because he wants to "beat them" and THAT is a VERY BAD IDEA in entertainment.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bottom line is, he wants for the games to sell gazillion like long established franchises as Halo or CoD just because he wants to "beat them" and THAT is a VERY BAD IDEA in entertainment."

Really? So, he shouldn't strive to be tops in his industry/ That's retarted, that's lame, that's ciowardly, and that's pusified. The goal should always be to be number one. ALWAYS.

Elzair

Cipher
Why does every idiot alway mention Citizen Kane when talking about fucking video games?!

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, really.

Entertainment does not have a "sure win" formula, good examples GTA III were Microsoft had the opportunity of a exclusivity deal they passed and Halo that was a game with a much troubled history (started as a real-time strategy game for Macs) from a relative obscure developer.

Also since when does sales=quality? a running joke is Nintendo is not doing new games but keep making the same games over and over and over again.

And last its incredible infantile to compare penis size, being "upset" some game sold more that yours does not strikes me as mature, especially in entertainment or do I need to remind you how much money did Armageddon made?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom