Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Two more Alpha Protocol reviews are available now, they're late but nevertheless:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>PALGN mention that <span class="quotable_PALGN"><span class="description"><span style="font-style: italic;">Alpha Protocol</span> is not as <a href="http://palgn.com.au/playstation-3/16505/alpha-protocol-review/" target="_blank">entirely terrible</a> as many people are making it out to be. 6/10.</span></span></p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="quotable_PALGN"><span class="description">One of the saving graces of the title is the XP system, which allows the player to level up Thornton as he completes many missions spanning the globe. Players can put points into areas such as stealth, weapon handling or hand-to-hand combat in order to mold him into a particular spy archetype. What we enjoyed about this is that the choices you make in choosing Thornton's abilities can either greatly hamper or take advantage of Thornton's particular objective. One point where this became obvious to us was a museum battle which pitted Thornton against a character that was well versed in martial arts. While we went with creating a Thornton who stuck to the shadows and took out his enemies with his fists, this proved to be a great disadvantage when we met this boss as our own hand-to-hand skills were sub par in comparison and the lack of skill points in the weaponry categories meant that we got our butt kicked consistently and significantly. This then lead to us backing away from that particular mission and moving on to another city in order to build up Thornton's skills, and upon our return to the museum we found no contest in the speed and efficiency in which we were able to dispatch the enemy. </span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>A guy over at NoobTooB who tries to become a professional reviewer <a href="http://www.noobtoob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20919" target="_blank">scores it 3 potatos out of 5</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I've never used a game getting better later as an excuse to redeem it, but after you get about twelve or so points in whichever gun type and upgrades to the gun in question tightens the targeting reticle to smaller than a hill giant's asshole, the shooting gets to be like a sloppy version of Gears of War and therefore becomes less unbearable. It's still got plenty of the same problems I've mentioned here - you're still running around in pretty shitty environments, getting stuck on walls, glitching out enemies, watching physics shit itself, missing shots because the dice didn't roll in your favor, and worst of all watching graphics and textures pop in and out like it's a Goddamn magic show &ndash; but once the shooting actually starts to work it gets much more fun, in that everything that isn't shooting is fantastic.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A sloppy version of Gears of War?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98582-alpha-protocol-reviews.html">GB</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
There are many issues with the game, but calling it a Gears of War-like, what?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Eh, Obsidian's games seem to cater to a different crowd than all these reviewers. Personally, I think Alpha Protocol shits on Mass Effect.

Also: Gears of War? Seriously? Wow.

Drakron

Arcane
I suppose the reason of "Gears of Wars" is the cover system, I never played Gears of Wars since I am neither gay or in the cloet so I cannot say for sure but by what I heard about the cover system its about the same.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 also have a similar cover system (even if ME2 system is FAR more infuriating) and ME is about the same time as GoW so it could be just a labeling thing.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The cover system is used in a lot of games these days. He could just as well have said it was an Uncharted clone.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
you're still running around in pretty shitty environments, getting stuck on walls, glitching out enemies, watching physics shit itself
it's making turds :smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh yes, that reminds me!
watching physics shit itself
...is always a lot of fun, thank you very much.

Far as I'm concerned, physics engines only have one reason for existence: fucking up.

Cassidy

Arcane
itt Sega's fund for game "journalist" bribery is not as big as EA's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom