Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review More Alpha Protocol Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>They are a bit late, but never the less:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>GamerCenterOnline <a href="http://www.gamercenteronline.net/2010/06/12/alpha-protocol-review-weapon-of-choice/" target="_blank">think that Alpha Protocol is more than the sum of its parts</a>, 7/10.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>While any combination of these faults might ordinarily be regarded as a deal breaker, <em>Alpha Protocol</em> is far more than the sum of its parts. The gameplay and visuals would certainly have benefited from further fine-tuning, and yet the experience holds together with almost inexplicable cohesion. This is most likely due to the game&rsquo;s exceedingly involved narrative, which exhibits far more polish; if only Obsidian had been as conscientious in all areas of its design, the game would have been truly engrossing. As it is, <em>Alpha Protocol</em> isn&rsquo;t quite the paragon of self-determination that it had hoped to be &ndash; instead, it&rsquo;s an intriguing hybrid whose divergent plot is the primary incentive for subsequent playthroughs. It&rsquo;s a new franchise with room for refinement and growth; hew away the jagged edges and there&rsquo;s definite potential for a sequel.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Sidequesting <a href="http://www.sidequesting.com/2010/06/review-alpha-protocol-ps3-xbox-360-pc/" target="_blank">conclude that recommending Alpha Protocol is difficult</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Recommending <em>Alpha Protocol</em> is difficult because I definitely had some fun playing it as a stealth game, sneaking behind dudes and getting those one-hit kills. If I were to play as any other class, I probably would have hated it because of the probability-based shooting. It&rsquo;s disappointing because as an espionage RPG that guarantees so many different possibilities and so many different choices, there&rsquo;s really no choice in the way you want to play if you want to enjoy yourself. If you don&rsquo;t enjoy stealth games, I&rsquo;d stay away. It comes down to playing it as a stealth game or not playing it as a stealth game; it&rsquo;s about having fun versus not having fun. And when it comes to gaming and how you spend your free time, that&rsquo;s not really much of a choice at all.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Coventry Telegraph <a href="http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on-coventry-warwickshire/computer-game-reviews/2010/06/11/game-review-alpha-protocol-x360-92746-26633614/2/" target="_blank">is somewhat confused</a>, 2/4:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The plot is confusing and convoluted: something to do with Middle Eastern terrorists, Chinese Triads, the Russian mob, secret American agencies and the Italian mafia, and I&rsquo;m not sure the role-playing aspect &ndash; which is mainly limited to conversation choices, not whether to take the left door or the right door, for example, would affect the outcome.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15151">RPGWatch</a></p>

Radisshu

Prophet
What? There's no italian mafia in this game. And the plot isn't difficult to understand.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I’m not sure the role-playing aspect – which is mainly limited to conversation choices, not whether to take the left door or the right door, for example, would affect the outcome.
Then maybe you should have done your fucking job and checked.
Are game-journalists getting dumber?
Is that even possible?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
PlanHex said:
Is that even possible?
Yes. The games industry doesn't even hire actual journalists anymore, instead just a bunch of ADD fucktards probably straight out of high school who are impressed by bright explosions, "epicness", and buzzwords.

snoek

Cipher
He didn't even bother to check it out. Great review!

<blockquote>
<p>The plot is confusing and convoluted: something to do with Middle Eastern terrorists, Chinese Triads, the Russian mob, secret American agencies and the Italian mafia, and I’m not sure the role-playing aspect – which is mainly limited to conversation choices, not whether to take the left door or the right door, for example, would affect the outcome.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15151">RPGWatch</a></p>[/quote]

Lemunde

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
PlanHex said:
Is that even possible?
Yes. The games industry doesn't even hire actual journalists anymore, instead just a bunch of ADD fucktards probably straight out of high school who are impressed by bright explosions, "epicness", and buzzwords.

Woah, dejavu! I swear I've seen that exact same phrase here before, word for word. Do you people have a bunch of auto-responses saved to a text file somewhere?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Updated my fatdragon.txt.

Wait, no, that's stupid.

Lemunde said:
Fat Dragon said:
PlanHex said:
Is that even possible?

Woah, dejavu! I swear I've seen that exact same phrase here before, word for word. Do you people have a bunch of auto-responses saved to a text file somewhere?
He just used the aggressive stance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom