Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Developing Your Skills The Alpha Protocol Way

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Behold this trailer showing this AP guy doin' some <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKEGwFwZtto&feature=player_embedded">ninja style action.</a>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97757-alpha-protocol-qdeveloping-your-skillsq-trailer.html">GB</A>

Secretninja

Cipher
At least the rest of the enemies wait while you fight one. I hate games where everyone just bumrushes you. It is too unrealistic and breaks immersion.

MasPingon

Arcane
Secretninja said:
At least the rest of the enemies wait while you fight one. I hate games where everyone just bumrushes you. It is too unrealistic and breaks immersion.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

ricolikesrice

Arcane
looking mighty fine so far: i expect that Alpha Protocol will have heart - will have a soul. It is gonna sing the Blues and you ll want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely love what they are doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead ask "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

It migth have flaws - plenty of them - but ultimately it ll be a great game. I ll probably have more fun with Alpha Protocol than with any RPG released in the next few years. AP wont be "game as art," as The Witcher and (more recently) Dragon Age have tried to be. Instead, it is gonna be "game as game", something that has been equally rare recently in the RPG genre. Judging from trailers there is a focus on gameplay, on RPG mechanics, on depth of setting and on immersion. It looks like it will be enjoyable, addictive, and deeply satisfying, and I wholeheartedly recommend pre-ordering it. If the Codex gave numerical scores, I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10. Since we don't, pretend you didn't see that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ricolikesrice said:
looking mighty fine so far: i expect that Alpha Protocol will have heart - will have a soul. It is gonna sing the Blues and you ll want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely love what they are doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead ask "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

It migth have flaws - plenty of them - but ultimately it ll be a great game. I ll probably have more fun with Alpha Protocol than with any RPG released in the next few years. AP wont be "game as art," as The Witcher and (more recently) Dragon Age have tried to be. Instead, it is gonna be "game as game", something that has been equally rare recently in the RPG genre. Judging from trailers there is a focus on gameplay, on RPG mechanics, on depth of setting and on immersion. It looks like it will be enjoyable, addictive, and deeply satisfying, and I wholeheartedly recommend pre-ordering it. If the Codex gave numerical scores, I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10. Since we don't, pretend you didn't see that.

Chefe

Erudite
Sceptic said:
Well he did say TRIED to be...

frysmug.jpg

Jaesun said:
ricolikesrice said:
looking mighty fine so far: i expect that Alpha Protocol will have heart - will have a soul, like someone with great potential but no substance. It is gonna sing the Blues and you ll want to listen, a song about trainwrecked rpgs. This is a game made by people who genuinely love what they are doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the intellectual needs of RPG fans?", the developers instead asking the Bethesdian question of "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the lack of polish of an indie game, but the forced shooting sections that only a multi-million dollar budget would require.

It migth have flaws - plenty of them, some that draw you out of the immersion and some that outright break the game - but ultimately it ll be a great game. I ll probably have more fun with Alpha Protocol than with any RPG released in the next few years, because we only really have DA DLC, FO:NV, ME3, and ESV to look forward to. AP wont be "a game that really tries to push the boundaries of creative freedom and expression," as The Witcher and (more recently) Dragon Age have tried to fake. Instead, it is gonna be "ambiguous", something that has been equally rare recently in the RPG genre. Judging from trailers there is a focus on gameplay (as opposed to say a movie), on RPG mechanics (as opposed to non-RPGs), on depth of setting and on immersion (as opposed to Super Mario Bros). It looks like it will be described by a bunch of generic words, and I wholeheartedly recommend pre-ordering it because stores always sell out of video games. If the Codex gave numerical scores, I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10, which means I find the hype simply delightful. Since we don't, pretend you didn't see that, meaning I wrote it for no reason.

fixed this up a bit
had too many typos

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Radisshu

Prophet
Sceptic said:
Well he did say TRIED to be...

But they didn't. They TRIED to be "games as blockbuster films".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom