Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Some thoughts on the Fallout games

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fallout; Interplay

<a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>NMA</a> reported that a fella named Bitterman posted his <a href=http://www.desolation.org/nurk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3788#3788>opinions</a> on every Fallout game from venerable <b>Fallout 1</b> to the infamous console crap.
<br>

<br>
<blockquote><b>Fallout 1</b> was it's own game, in it's own right. But the premise, the world, and even events in the world, were throw backs, if you will, to Wasteland....The Glow. A once military base, which is mostly a hole in the ground. Home to a super computer, and some powered down robots. Geographically speaking, coincides with with the location of Base Cochise, from Wasteland. The military base spawning the robotic threat.
<br>

<br>
<b>Fallout 2</b> wasn't a game. It was a joke. An insult. A string of well placed easter eggs, and pop culture referenes, assembled in such a way to make it seem like there was a plot. ...Shady Sands was what an opening area needed to be. Simple soft ball quests, you could knock out of the park with the right skills for a good start in the game. Simple introductory conversations, a few talking heads, and an NPC to recruit. Klamath? Fucking nothing. You could see where there was the start of something. The Buckner family, Whisky Bob. Trapper Town. The areas were there for it, they had NPCs that could've been good ones. But it dropped off short.
<br>

<br>
<b>Fallout: Tactics</b> was exactly what it was. It's what Fallout would be, if you made it into a tactical shooter. It wasn't an RPG. For what it was, it was a very good game. For comparing it to Fallout 1 and 2, yeah it sucked.. because that's not what kind of game it was. But the hardline, etched in stone Post Apoc community would hear none of it. It was an insult, to even consider that. The game was never given a chance.
<br>

<br>
<b>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel</b> wasn't given a chance either. Condemed before birth. People hated Fallout BoS, before it even came out. Just the idea, Fallout on a console. People still hate Fallout BoS, they probably haven't even played it. ... That's right, we killed Interplay. I hope you're happy.</blockquote>I'm happy. Dickerman, apparently, isn't. So, FO2 was an insult, and FOBOS wasn't. He's also managed to ignore the fact that it was FOBOS that killed FO3.
<br>

<br>
Note to Saint, it's the last time, I promise.
<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

Fireblade

Erudite
He had good points about Fallout 2 but calling it a joke/insult is pretty moronic. Would be interesting to hear what games he's played recently that are better.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Call me crazy, but I wasn't terribly impressed with any of the Fallout games.

:|

/yes, I know I have a Fallout avatar.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If FO2 too was an insult and a joke then bring on more isnulting and joke of a game. FO2 is my fave game of all time (well... tied with BG2).

*runs, trips, and gets killed by the RPGCodex masses*

Spazmo

Erudite
*throws rocks at Volourn*

I hate when people are overly negative towards Fallout 2. No, it wasn't as good as the first game, but it's still one of the best RPGs in a long time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ausir said:
And the thing he likes the most about FO2 was New Reno...
Yep, that was the funniest part. The guy has no fucking clue, but the anger is entertaining. The comments are also good:

While I was not for a Fallout console, the hatred that eminated out of Fallout fandom was far out of bounds. Look at the shit a lot of the 'community' pulled. Personal attacks on developers, threats, constant attacks on the forums, is it any wonder that interplay and BIS began to shun the established community? Now that mentality has sunk in and has taken root. Take a look at a certain sites front page and you'll see similar comments about other non-Fallout PA games. Like Voltair I despise much of the established community for the rep they've earned us.
I would love to see a Fallout 3 with FOT style of player character control, a mix of FOT and FO2 for party character control and the depth of story that Fallout had
if only the rest of the fallout games had the tactics real-time battle system, THAT was kick-ass
I just created a melee char on fallout tactics, i'm on the 4th mission and he allready has 120 kills. HIS kills, nobody helped.
Tactics was great you fuckers. The lack of freedom wasn't that bad if you realized that it just asn't an RPG. Action wise it ws great.
What a bunch of fucking morons

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Saying New Reno is the best part of Fallout 2 is like admitting you molest kittens, or that you weren't terribly impressed with any of the Fallout games, its like a cross between a desperate cry for help and request to be clubbed like a baby seal...

:P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh well. New Reno is the best part of FO series. Period. It has some of the most interetsing character all in one palce, and has some of the best role-playing to boot.

Seven

Erudite
Volourn said:
Oh well. New Reno is the best part of FO series. Period. It has some of the most interetsing character all in one palce, and has some of the best role-playing to boot.

You realize this statement confirms your dick-headed-ness, right? :P

Come on, you can't possibly be serious, you're just looking for attention now.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I wonder if this is the birth of Round 2.. 3... whatever the number of "Why Volourn loves New Reno and why he thinks it DOES fit in with Fallout". Oh well, I guess I should get used to it.

P.S. I liked New Reno to the extent of quests and I somewhat liked the atmosphere. I did not like the drugs and sex crap. It was overdone.

Human Shield

Augur
It is pretty sad looking at the Fallout series. You have one shit game (BOS), one below par (Tactics), one on par (FO2), and one godlike masterpiece (Fallout 1).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Spazmo said:

I hate when people are overly negative towards Fallout 2. No, it wasn't as good as the first game, but it's still one of the best RPGs in a long time.

Omg your such a faggot ass traitor. "LOL FALLOUT 2 IS BETTER DUDE AND UR GAY LLEWL" You should be banned from the codex and put in bed with volourn.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Spazmo said:

Fallout 2 did have some pretty big shoes to fill. A great game on its own, but since it is a step down from the first, the dissapointment is multiplied. It's may not be right, but I think people expected better from the FO2 team.

Spazmo

Erudite
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Omg your such a faggot ass traitor. "LOL FALLOUT 2 IS BETTER DUDE AND UR GAY LLEWL" You should be banned from the codex and put in bed with volourn.

Hey, I'm all for dumb blondes.

HAW HAW HAW :roll: HAW :roll: :roll: HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: HAW

Voss

Erudite
So, why is some random fuckwits opinions a worthy codex news entry?
It couldn't go in the general crap like the Bladen-baiting?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Seven, i am a dickhead, but I'm also serious.

Have a nice day. :cool:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
So, FO2 was an insult, and FOBOS wasn't. He's also managed to ignore the fact that it was FOBOS that killed FO3.
Ahh yes, but that's because people weren't looking at FOBOS or even FO:T for "what they were". You see, we've been looking at them as "Games set in the Fallout World" and expecting they'd have such things as "Setting Consistency", "Storyline Consistency" and "General Game World Consistency". In reality, we should have viewed them as "Half-Arsed Games of the Action Genre" and loved them because they really are quite nice half-arsed games.

You know, now that I think about it, he needs to view Fallout 2 as "A Sad Game Filled with over-done Pop Culture References" which is what it really is. Instead of seeing it as a "Fallout Game". It just makes it all that much better, don't ya think?

Why, I'm seeing the light! It's all clear to me now!

Shevek

Arcane
Who cares what that guy says? Perhaps the Codex should simply ignore the opinions of the smaller, less competant new sites. I understand covering and mocking news items from more mainstream sites since their sometimes flawed or commercial take on things influence the purchasing choices of other gamers who may not be as plugged in or experienced as others. However, who really cares what "Bitterman" thinks? Its obvious he has little care for the things admins of this site find important in the Fallout series and he seems to have little if any ability to backup his assertions. Why is he news worthy? Why grant a wider forum to his opinions?

The bottom line is the FO1 and, to a lesser extent, FO2 have garnered the loyalty of a dedicated fanbase and will likely be acknowledged as milestone titles in the computer gaming community for some time to come. FOBoS was subpar title, either lambasted or meakly accepted by even the most impartial of critics. Discussion on this topic is pointless.

It is a sad state of affairs in RPGland when this makes news. I hope we start getting some info from some actual CRPGs. The former SirTech team alluded to Wizardry 9 being a possibility at RPGDot a while back. That neat SciFi concept art related to a possible Troika seemed interesting. Atari is whispering CRPG - as is Bioware and others. Hopefully, we will start getting some tangible facts with respect to these and other titles (such as those from Akella, etc).

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Ausir said:
And the thing he likes the most about FO2 was New Reno...

While New Reno made no sense as a town, especially in context of the setting, in terms of doing things it was probable the best thing in the game. Several different factions you could join and/or wipe out without feeling bad about it, lots of extra stuff to do, link to a major loot and experience area, etc.

Raymondo

Liturgist
New Reno was probably the funniest place in fallout 2 but it didn’t really fit into the setting well. Gangsters and mob guys just isn’t what fallout is about.

Anonymous

Fallout 2 was still a good game, it's just got more 'problem spots' than Fallout 1 did. Like the end boss, krazy settings and various other dings.

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 would both be like Supar Mega-Cars, but Fallout 1 is all nice and shiney and Fallout 2 is kinda muddy and someone threw rocks at it for awhile. But still, both are better cars than that shit that hangs out in the Infinity Engine Trailer Park.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom