Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info NWN updated to version 1.62

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

<a target=_blank href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare</a> has released another patch for <a target=_blank href=http://nwn.bioware.com/>Neverwinter Nights</a>. You can grab it <a target=_blank href=http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch.html>here</a> or go <a target=_blank href=http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patchdetails162.html>here</a> to see the list of fixes.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, one can't deny that support for the game exists. Even after all this time, Bioware still keep at it. Thats good customer support, regardless of wheter we like the game or not.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Well, one can't deny that support for the game exists. Even after all this time, Bioware still keep at it. Thats good customer support, regardless of wheter we like the game or not.

All this time? HotU just came out in Dec, of course they are going to fix their bugs
and things they didn't finish with the corresponding patch.
Let's see if even the brainwashed give a shit by July 2004 which will mark 3 years since original release. Admittedly 3 years is damn good for holding a sizeable audience even with 2 expansions.Although I give most of the credit to the mod community as Bioware did their best to fuck that up. Either way there is no way it is making the projected 5 year life cycle many claimed it would have.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
I am not denying that, I am just saying now that they've patched the HotU 1.61 release, lets see how long it takes to die it's deserved death-

DemonKing

Arcane
Sheriff05 said:
Let's see if even the brainwashed give a shit by July 2004 which will mark 3 years since original release.

Well in Australia the game came out in July 2002 so that would make it only 2 years by my math - unless the rest of the world somehow got it one year before us.

I fondly remember both NWN and WC3 arriving on my doorstop at the same time. Admitedly the NWN OC was a bit disappointing but with all the initial hype I was pretty excited.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I actually made a news post about this but it seems it got eaten or something. Anyway, what I said in my post was in regards to the fixes of the corpse looting thing. When I played HotU, I killed this large demon in the puzzle area. He flopped over dead, right on top of the damned exit teleporter. Because of that, I had to reload from a previous save and go back through that puzzle area. I even took a screenshot of the thing for the review I was going to write, but couldn't get enough interest up in the expansion either way. But here's the shot:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php? ... iew019.jpg

Yup, needless to say, I was pretty ticked about that.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
Well in Australia the game came out in July 2002 so that would make it only 2 years by my math - unless the rest of the world somehow got it one year before us.

You are correct demon, my mistake--
(guess I was thinking when it *supposed* to originally come out, )
regardless, it's lifespan shall be far less than expected, planned or promised
Thanks to Bioware's own malfeasance.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
but couldn't get enough interest up in the expansion either way.

What do you expect, having Valen and Aribeth as henchmen. How interesting could it be without Deekin?

And before anyone has an embolism, yes that's meant facetiously

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ha, X. A funny for a funny screenshot. :lol: Poor Saint as I just don't get bugs like that for any game... Hmm.. As for this patch; I'm just glad my improved invisibility was fixed. Hehe.

What I find funny by your comments Sherrif is hwo locked it is in wishful thinking since contrary to what you thought you; the NWN on-line community has grown in the few months that HOTU has been out. Heck, it has even reach 7k on-line at one time - something it hadn't done at all 'til recently. Will it reach 5 years? Maybe, maybe not. I do know oen thing though. It surely is the longest lasting crpg (or any game for that matter) that I've played. Quite frnakly, for me eprosnally, it's lasted longer tha I truly believed it woudl sicne no game ahs lasted more than a year (if that) for me. Heck, KOTOR has been played once and started a second game; but that's it.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Volourn said:
What I find funny by your comments Sherrif is hwo locked it is in wishful thinking since contrary to what you thought you; the NWN on-line community has grown in the few months that HOTU has been out. Heck, it has even reach 7k on-line at one time - something it hadn't done at all 'til recently. Will it reach 5 years? Maybe, maybe not. I do know oen thing though. It surely is the longest lasting crpg (or any game for that matter) that I've played. Quite frnakly, for me eprosnally, it's lasted longer tha I truly believed it woudl sicne no game ahs lasted more than a year (if that) for me. Heck, KOTOR has been played once and started a second game; but that's it.

Well thats because of the Mod community, if Bioware actually sticks to their promises and do continue to support the best things about the game- the toolset and the DM client
Interest will continue until people get sick of the graphics or something better comes along. My supposed wishful thinking aside, only time will tell.
As Demonking pointed out it's only been 20 months since it's release and has had 2 high profile expansions to keep it in the public eye. It's success still doesn't come close touching that of Diablo (1996) or Diablo II (2000) which are equally as polarizing to CPRG gamers and still have very active online communities.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Plus, didn't they say there were gonna be no more expansions for it? I seem to recall seeing that on their site somewhere. I'm sure they'll continue to support it, but I'm also sure that somewhere out there someone is already working on the NWN-Killer, so to speak. Time will tell.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I agree with what you said there pretty much 100% Sherriff. You too, Otaku. WOWSERS! :shock:

Ibbz

Augur
Plus, didn't they say there were gonna be no more expansions for it? I seem to recall seeing that on their site somewhere. I'm sure they'll continue to support it, but I'm also sure that somewhere out there someone is already working on the NWN-Killer, so to speak. Time will tell.
There aren't going to be any more expansions but apparantly they're thinking about using the Live Team to make more content that you would have to pay for so there's a feasible economic reason to keep the live team around.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Taoreich said:
What do you expect, having Valen and Aribeth as henchmen. How interesting could it be without Deekin?

I actually left Deekin for dead in the first level of Act I. :D

Sheriff05 said:
As Demonking pointed out it's only been 20 months since it's release and has had 2 high profile expansions to keep it in the public eye. It's success still doesn't come close touching that of Diablo (1996) or Diablo II (2000) which are equally as polarizing to CPRG gamers and still have very active online communities.

This is true. I've always wonder if mods would help or hurt Diablo 2's success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom