Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2witcher's plot related to Twitcher's plot?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been suffering through Twitcher but the constant crashes have made it not that fun, even though I like the game itself. I have Twitcher 2 ready to play now on Steam. Should I go read a plot synopsis of Twitcher before I play it, or is it fine and I just learn it as I go in the original game?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The first game's plot barely impacts the second's, so no need. Still, TW is quite worth a playthrough. Have you patched it and so on?

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The main storyline is almost completely irrelevant to the Witcher 2. There are only a few elements, that I can remember, which have any overarching importance:

-The ending cinematic.
-Setting up the Wild Hunt.
-Setting up Geralt's predicament with King Foltest in The Witcher 2.
-The fact that Geralt has amnesia.
-General world building for those who aren't familiar with the fiction.

Most of this is recapped through dialogue and those stylized animated videos anyways.

Thankfully, the developers seem to have abandoned the final act of The Witcher.

EDIT: I'm not sure how many variables get pulled over from The Witcher. You can probably find a good saved game somewhere on the internet if you care.

DraQ

Arcane
Aldebaran said:
The main storyline is almost completely irrelevant to the Witcher 2. There are only a few elements, that I can remember, which have any overarching importance:

-The ending cinematic.
-Setting up the Wild Hunt.
-Setting up Geralt's predicament with King Foltest in The Witcher 2.
-The fact that Geralt has amnesia.
-General world building for those who aren't familiar with the fiction.

Pretty much this, but those alements are pretty important if you don't want to spend a lot of time going 'wha?', 'who?' and 'huh?'.

Also, some consequences and items carry over (though the items are nerfed beyond reason).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Why can my computer handle Crysis 2 but not Witcher 2 on lowest settings?

Anyways how do you beat the first fight (where the dragon is strafing you)? Only success I've had is standing back and shooting my magic and letting everyone else do the work. I've literally attempted that part more than 10 times so there must be some mechanic I'm missing.

Antihero

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:

Anyways how do you beat the first fight (where the dragon is strafing you)? Only success I've had is standing back and shooting my magic and letting everyone else do the work. I've literally attempted that part more than 10 times so there must be some mechanic I'm missing.

Tried the Quen sign? You start with all of them at their base level in TW2. I remember the frustrating thing though that all the NPCs could just wade through as if it were nothing. There was something on fire between shelters that'd always kill me otherwise (played on hard difficulty). But wasn't that conversation choice patched so it couldn't be your first battle?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
kingcomrade said:
What kills performance in 2witcher is ubersampling, if you have it on, turn it off. If it's already off then there's something really wrong...

kingcomrade said:
I'm assuming you mean this part.

You just have to kill the enemies quickly and rush to the gate.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah I just tried Quen and realized that the mechanic I was missing was the I Win button. lol.
Suddenly after the prologue missions my framerate shot way up, so who knows.

Antihero

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Yeah I just tried Quen and realized that the mechanic I was missing was the I Win button. lol.
Suddenly after the prologue missions my framerate shot way up, so who knows.

I didn't bother to put any points into Quen on the magic path; it was already too much of a crutch for me. There are some mods that rebalance combat, but I haven't really kept up to date with them. They nerfed Quen in a later patch so it wouldn't stay up for as long once you were hit. Also, you don't regain vigour while it's up - less of an issue though if you already have a bunch of vigour points and have them regen faster later on.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I was wrong about the framerate, it's really bad.

I'm at the armwrestling minigame and it's 100% impossible due to...I don't know, mouse lag? Like I move the mouse and the little dot just does whatever the hell it wants. I am really getting punished for playing this on PC, jesus.

what the FUCK were they thinking. at least load times are egregiously long so I can keep trying again, dumbfuck polish

BelisariuS.F

Augur
kingcomrade said:
I'm at the armwrestling minigame and it's 100% impossible due to...
...your extremely lame hand-eye coordination. Most of the time I didn't have any problems with this minigame. Actually it was an easy way to earn some money. In the first act the only time I was defeated was in the final match against this dude that is making boat near the river. And only at the first try. Mouse lag is what makes it at least remotely challenging. Without it it would be 100% impossible to lose.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
...your extremely lame hand-eye coordination
No, don't even try, just kill yourself. You're seriously trying to claim superiority over a minigame that involved keeping a circle in a little bar. Any retard can do it (such as you) when the fucking game works properly. That you even think this minigame requires hand-eye coordination suggests brain damage. Please just look back on what you just tried to do and then realize death is the only solution.
Arm-wrestling minigame can be hard at very low FPS, since low framerate makes it somewhat laggy and the minigame relies on rapid, minor adjustments.
After several tries I won both arm wrestling things basically by moving my mouse a little and then just not moving it at all. What a disgrace.

I have Twitcher 2 ready to play now on Steam
wtf? why? It is cheaper, with less DRM and also with more support going directly to the developer if you buy it from GoG. You knew all this, you have been lurking on the Codex after all. Yet you buy it from steam. Why?

Monocause

Arcane
Torrent a GOG version. The DRM had enormous performance impact on some machines, amounting to 50% sometimes. Get the latest patches. Unless you've a shitty rig the game should run fine. Also, I seem to remember there were severe issues with NVidia's 3Dvision tech or something like that, if you've got an NVidia card make sure the feature's off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom