Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News More on BIS getting the high hard one

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

<A href="http://pc.ign.com">PC.IGN</a> has a <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/446/446379p1.html?fromint=1">bit about the recent shake up</a>(cough up, throw up, whatever) that went down at <A href="http://interplay.com">Interplay</a> where they slash and burned everything possible, including their last, best hope for profit.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay agreed and the team continued work on Baldur's Gate 3. The title was cancelled after management failed to retain the license for the D&D system, so Black Isle decided to focus development exclusively on Fallout 3. The design was finished, the engine was written, and the work on the maps had begun when Interplay asked for a playable demo of the game.
<br>
<br>
By Black Isle's account, the demo as delivered was 95% done, including all game functionality but only one finished demo level. (Work on the rest of the levels was approximately halfway complete; all that remained to be done was to populate and script the maps.) The next day Interplay began laying off people at Digital Mayhem. Since the Fallout demo was so polished, employees at Black Isle felt (relatively) secure. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So, the good news is <b>TEAM CHUCK</b> got the axe, the bad news is that so did <A href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle</a>. The funny part is that later on, it's said that the project was cancelled by <b>Darth Molitor</b> and <b>Lord Caen</b> because they didn't think the game would be done by 2004. Of course, it couldn't have helped matters that <b>Darth Molitor</b> was pulling people working on <b>Fallout 3</b> to work on <b>Fallout Enforcer</b>, could it?
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">BluesNews</a>.
<br>

taks

Liturgist
sheesh... the caen school of business is now in session.

mark

Ausir

Arcane
Yes, because they're not working on FOBOS 2 - they're just cutting FOBOS in half.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes and no, because like Ausir said, they chopped Fallout Enforcer in to TWO games, Fallout Enforcer and Fallout Enforcer 2.. So, half the game each time, twice the profit for IPLY. Exalted though, they don't even have an engine for it yet.

It's still damned funny that if Darth Molitor and Lord Caen hadn't decided to fuck up and lose the rights to BG for the PC, BG3 would have been released by now. It would have brought in a lot of money.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
So, half the game each time, twice the profit for IPLY.

Dumbest move in the history of dumb moves. Especially since everyone knows about it. I personally think these guys got their business degrees from a box of Cracker Jacks. IPLY is going nowhere but down and Titus will be quick to follow suit. Caen has shown the gaming world that he is in it solely for profit and now the wolves will quickly close in.

Sabotai

Liturgist
Interesting post at Qt3. Interplay had already hit rockbottom and showed signs of digging. If this marketing scheme is true, IPLY has brought along a fucking drill to do their digging. Pathetic.

Ok, it's up to 5 posts now, I only saw 3; it seems to be true. For the few of you still owning IPLY stocks, sell now.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Unbe-fucking-lievable!

Umm, when I opened the package and unlocked the metal canister, at the bottom of the canister was two condoms. WTF! And one of them was glow in the dark! As I was throwing out the press-sheet and the video, I noticed that the press sheet said that the video is a 'sex education video about post-armagedon intimacy'.

I take a look at the video's sticker, and it indeed was. So when I'm about to throw the video in the garbage can, I see something sticking out of the window of the cassete case. What was it?

Another fucking condom. :\

On top of that, there were four latex gloves inside the package, too. :\

I'm so not sleeping at night, with the fear of some Interplay rep breaking into my room and raping me if I don't give Fallout a decent score.

I got this ammo box yesterday. It's pretty much true, except I got three condoms of different types. It has a video, 4 latex gloves, and a DVD case with a review burn of the game for the PS2 and an assets disk.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
It's still damned funny that if Darth Molitor and Lord Caen hadn't decided to fuck up and lose the rights to BG for the PC, BG3 would have been released by now. It would have brought in a lot of money.

well, the true reason they "lost" the rights has never been disclosed. they referred to a "3rd party waiver" which may have been the content waiver that has become an issue recently. if that is the case, then the BG3 nerfing wasn't totally their fault... just everything else was.

of course, i don't mind blaming IPLY any more than WoTC these days (or infotari, either). they all suck.

mark

mr. lamat

Liturgist
good gawd lord almighty! i'm surprised they didn't throw in a buttplug to sit on... it just seems so appropriate to be takin' it in the ass while playing the game. it'd give the player a full and honest 'black isle experience'

Sabotai

Liturgist
So any of you guys 'n girls want to speculate on the contents of the 'sex education video about post-armageddon intimacy'.

triCritical

Erudite
WTF, are you guys talking about? What is this ammo cannister? Is this something you can buy in stores? Or something to hype acne-filled reviewers into hyping your product even more? Or is it something in game? Is FOBOS even out?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apperantly its a Press kit containing Publicity materials and a demo version of the game (Not to mention the Sex Ed video, condoms, and rubber gloves :/) sent to magazines/review sites/and the like.

I think this bumps the "Romero will make you his Bitch" as worst publicity evah

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Something to hype acne-filled reviewers into hyping your product even more?

I think so.

When you got nothing to lose when you are desperate you will do anything especially if you got no ethicks .

Unless we have misunderstood the poor guys and they are ready to go in the condom business.

Want to avoid FEV and AIDS ?
What better way than the BIOCONDOM TM.

Oh and i would hate to see such a kit falling in the hands of the rpg codex .

Who knows what kind of a review would it get .

"Quote from Fantastical RPGCODEX review of FOBOS 1/2"
Well the game sucked and the condoms I used them with my girlfriend and she is now pregnant !!!!!!!!!!!! " ;)

By the way i wonder why anybody has not sent this story on Slahdot.

It could be fun .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom