Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol, the MMO

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

totallyps3.com who must call themselves that because they totally have no idea what they're talking about, <a href="http://www.totallyps3.com/gameinfo.php?gameid=231&details=news&newsid=473">have totally missed the boat on Alpha Protocol with their preview</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Normally, when you think of MMOs, you don't immediately think of international counter-terrorism and espionage...</b>
<br>
<br>
Sega and Obsidian Entertainment want to change all that with their new Massively Multiplayer Online game, Alpha Protocol. Veteran RPG developers Obsidian, the brains behind titles like Neverwinter Nights II and Star Wars Knights of the Republic II: The Sith Lords are no strangers when it comes to producing in depth character development and customisation placed in enthralling and immersive game worlds. So if anyone can carry off the daunting task of producing a spy-based MMO, they can.
<br>
<br>
In the sprawling PS3 and PC MMO, loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. You play the young agent cast out by his government, and Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe.</blockquote>
<br>
Alpha Protocol is not an MMO... or at least, I didn't think it was. But mind you, this isn't the first preview to mention it so maybe there's something Obsidian are keeping back. <a href="http://www.totallyps3.com/gameinfo.php?gameid=231&details=news&newsid=473">You can follow the link to check out a few screenshots too</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</a>

Lumpy

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Alpha Protocol is not an MMO... or at least, I didn't think it was. But mind you, this isn't the first preview to mention it so maybe there's something Obsidian are keeping back.
Yeah, I'm sure that AP is actually an MMO where every player is called Michael Thorton and is a rogue CIA agent.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Alpha Protocol is not an MMO... or at least, I didn't think it was. But mind you, this isn't the first preview to mention it so maybe there's something Obsidian are keeping back.
Yeah, I'm sure that AP is actually an MMO where every player is called Michael Thorton and is a rogue CIA agent.

:lol:

MountainWest

Scholar
RPGs have elves and/or are MMOs. Alpha Protocol doesn't have any elves thus it's an MMO. Simple logic, dumbfucks.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the times have changed. Everything's an RPG these days. Perhaps we've turned the corner where everything is an MMO as well?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
"Gragt said:
It's probably an MMO because you'll need net access at all time for the DRM.
heh, maybe there will be ingame characters that belong to a shady government organization called DRM and you'll have to answer their questions if you want to proceed to the next mission...

Don't be fooled into thinking that Alpha Protocol will end up being some stats-rich turn based bore-o-thon, the emphasis is very much on action
welcome to da future.

Korgan

Arbiter
In the sprawling PS3 and PC MMO, loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. You play the young agent cast out by his government, and Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe.
Have anyone, ANYONE OF THEM AT ALL ever read this? My grandma would facepalm at this!

Zeros

Novice
I think Korgan means the fact that it is a MMO yet Thorton is The Only One who can blah blah.

Talk about doing a good job, totallyps3. dawg.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sloppy work. I wonder when they gonna do an editorial U-Turn, I wanted to read the viewer's comments on the site but it needed register, so meh and editor should really get slapped around for this.

cardtrick

Arbiter
My favorite bit (at least of what DU quoted) is the word "sprawling." Given that they clearly haven't had any kind of an interview with Obsidian, it's obvious that they introduced the word, based on nothing at all except that it's probably official policy to use the word "sprawling" in any preview/review about an "MMO."

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I'm not sure where that article came from. The game is NOT an MMO in any sense of the word that I can think of.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anthony Davis said:
Yeah, I'm not sure where that article came from. The game is NOT an MMO in any sense of the word that I can think of.
Just promise AP will be awesome like your previous games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
NWN 2 is forgivable because they made MotB.

Except I can't get anyone to play MotB.

Me: "Dude, RPG as good as Fallout and PS:T!"
Them: "Lolwut, NWN 2 OC SUCKED kthx."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's dumb to buy or play an expansion to a game you hated. Dumb.

Fez

Erudite
Volourn said:
It's dumb to buy or play an expansion to a game you hated. Dumb.

Why? Sometimes an expansion can be more fun than the original game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's because I've answered this dumb question numerous times already. *yawn*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom