Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review MSNBC's Best role-playing games of 2007

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.msnbc.com>MSNBC</a> compiled <a href=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22251788/>a list of 6 best cRPGs of the year</a>. The only game on the list that is not console-only and not a MMO is CD Projekt's <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<br>
"The Witcher" is a PC RPG based on the popular fantasy works of Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, grim tales that follow the exploits of Geralt the monster hunter. This is an RPG for gamers that really want to dig into a somewhat traditional fantasy world full of magic and monarchs, but be warned: The language and content makes this game definitely one for adults.
<br>
<br>
Exploring medieval scenery and managing your hero's statistics and skills plays out like many other RPGs, but "The Witcher" employs fast-paced combat. On a nice PC, "The Witcher" fills the monitor with lush imagery, making every step a visual treat.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Of the console-only games, BioWare's Mass Effect is the only one that is not a jRPG. You can also <a href=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22247782>vote</a> on which of the MSNBC pick you consider the best.

dagorkan

Arbiter
kmk1234
Message #1
12/14/07 01:42 AM

You've seen our picks, now tell us yours. Which RPG was the best in 2007?

First three replies:

lugiaspal
Message #2
12/14/07 03:25 PM

i belive that Pokemon Diamon and Pearl should have been on the list

Tommy D Engineer at Drexel U
Message #3
12/14/07 03:31 PM

The absolute best role playing game every is Baulder's Gate and Baulder's Gate Shadows of Amn and its Expansion the Throne of Bhaal by Black Isle and Wizards of the Coast.

Milezinni
Message #4
12/14/07 04:05 PM

I cannot believe, no, I am SHOCKED that they don't have Oblivion (XBox 360) on that list?!?

By far, the greatest role playing game ever made.........

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Hohoho, we are so much smarter than them! I can feel my brain pulsating with anger at their inferiority!

Section8

Cipher
Hohoho, we are so much smarter than them! I can feel my brain pulsating with anger at their inferiority!

The whole point of having cultured tastes is that it grants you the divine right to sneer at savages, yet also rag on the French for doing exactly the same thing. It's not hypocrisy, it's delicious irony.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Lord Chambers said:
Heh. I thought the same thing... only without the sarcasm.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Section8 said:

The whole point of having cultured tastes is that it grants you the divine right to sneer at savages, yet also rag on the French for doing exactly the same thing. It's not hypocrisy, it's delicious irony.

+1

Crolug

Liturgist
As for The Witcher. Note that he is not nominated to GotY award on 1Up and Gamespot. You can find there Mass Effect, Hellgate London or Kane& Lynch... and some other 'memorable' titles, no Witcher. Is that really that bad? :roll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kane&Lynch? KANE&LYNCH?

Credibility went so negative that a black hole may develop.

yarpen

Novice
The GS list is made of 'most anticipated' games, regardless of their later ratings. It's still weird that K&L gets more votes than Mass Effect. The quality of those games is not even in the same league.

Ausir

Arcane
Rina said:
What is MSNBC and why do I care?

A joint venture of Microsoft and NBC. Who would've thought that Mass Effect would win in a poll on a site run by MS?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Jasede said:
Kane&Lynch? KANE&LYNCH?

Credibility went so negative that a black hole may develop.

I don't fucking understand this, why do they add coal/gasoline to the fire?

yarpen said:
The GS list is made of 'most bribed' games, regardless of their later ratings. It's still weird that K&L gets more votes than Mass Effect. The quality of those games is not even in the same league.

fix

bezimek

Scholar
yarpen wrote:
The GS list is made of 'most bribed' games, regardless of their later ratings. It's still weird that K&L gets more votes than Mass Effect. The quality of those games is not even in the same league.

Yes "Ass Effect" and "KiA" :twisted:

Binary

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Lord Chambers said:

Because you think PST and Fallout are the sliced bread of RPGs right?

Oh wait, my brain is now pulsating as well! ;)

Deleted member 7219

I'm just annoyed Oblivion GOTY isn't in that list. It is, after all, the best RPG ever. You can do anything you want in that game, lol.

Morbus

Scholar
Binary said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Lord Chambers said:

Because you think PST and Fallout are the sliced bread of RPGs right?

Oh wait, my brain is now pulsating as well! ;)
And you think it's KotOR, Oblivion and Baldur's Gate? Maybe even FF7?

Ahhh, the rush........ :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, look at the morons complaining about the lack of Oblivion. OMG a game that wasn't released this year isn't included in teh RPGOTY poll! WHYYYY?!

Maybe Shivering Isles should be RPG of the year 2007. [fake shock]Oh shit, did I say that out loud? I'll give 'em ideas![/fake shock]

Not to mention Baulder's Gate. Who cares that the game was released in the previous millenium. That's just a technicality. Of almost a decade.
Ok, favourite RPG FFA. Ultima VII for RPGOTY MMVII! It's a sign!

Lord Chambers said:
Who's we? I always thought of you as one of them, to be honest. :P

Moron said:
To all the naysayers: there's no way you could have a list of the "Best roleplaying games of 2007" without including WoW. Say what you will, but 9 million people are playing it and haven't left it yet. There's a little more to it than just hype.
Eat shit, people. Billions of flies can't all be wrong.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The real problem with WoW here is not that it is a bad game. Its not. Its a very solid MMO... and very good one if you compare it to other MMO crap.

I just wouldn't really call it a RPG and put it into one box with SP games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom