Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Review of Lionheart at GameGossip

Ibbz

Augur
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

<a href="http://www.gamegossip.com taarget="_blank">GameGossip</a> have posted a <a href="http://www.gamegossip.com/article.php?id=27" target="_blank">review</a> of Lionheart, rating it at 83% which seems abnormally high, especially considering some of the comments:
<br>
<blockquote>Then there are a slew of "little" things that really irked me and made me realize that Lionheart simply is not as good as other role-playing games such as Neverwinter Nights. For instance on the mini-map there is no way to mark important locations and everything is left to memory. This can be fine for quests where you don't have to traverse a vast amount of land but for some of the longer quests remembering what building you came from is an unnecessary chore. The path-finding is also pretty bad and the developer knew it since they tried to cover up for it with a poorly implemented system where you can only move one or two screens at a time. In other words you must manually guide your character every couple of feet to reach his destination. A "friends" system is also included - sort of. Occasionally you will rescue a knight or a similar good guy and he will follow you to a certain place and "assist" in combat. The word assist is used in the loosest way possible considering their artificial intelligence and path finding is worse than your own character. No rest option was included either. This is a glaring issue and detracts greatly from how fun this game is to play considering how slowly your health regenerates. While not absolutely essential, having to walk away from a battle and sit still for five minutes while your health and mana regenerates is a nagging problem. It's only fair to mention that Black Isle has said this will be addressed in a future patch but as I write this no such patch has been released. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I somehow don't think a patch will cure Lionheart's <i>many</i> problems.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com" target="_blank">RPGDot</a>

Voss

Erudite
Yes, its good to focus on the minor problems.

Admittedly there some mention of the problems with the rpgness and action, but there is that
supposedly if you have high enough speech and stealth skills you can complete the game without killing a single being

Supposedly. This has been said a couple times, but has anyone actually done this yet?

And for a last, lovely though from the reviewer, about spirits:
I preferred the red one, which presumably represents the devil, because he is quite humorous and sarcastic.

That wacky devil. I feel sorry for him... all those years considered evil and dark and vile, and hey, really he's just funny and sarcastic.... he's a stand up comic!

unic

Novice
Another quote from the review:

The combat engine is interesting to say the least. Most obvious is the fact that it's in real-time where as most are turn-based nowadays (with the exceptions being Diablo and Dungeon Siege).

Hmm, I must have failed to notice most RPG's being turn-based nowadays...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You beat me to it, unic. Actually, that was the part I was going to post when I noticed Ibbz beat me to it. ToEE is turn based. Paradise Cracked is turn based. Golden Land is turn based. A lot of independent CRPGs, like Geneforge 2, are turn based. However, compare that to all the NWN expansions, Larian's upcoming Riftrunner, Lionheart, Bloody Magic, Wierd War, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Siege: Legend of Aranna, Dungeon Siege 2, Anito, and so on.. It's hard to even claim most are turn based, because they're definitely not.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ibbz said:
<. The path-finding is also pretty bad and the developer knew it since they tried to cover up for it with a poorly implemented system where you can only move one or two screens at a time. >
Come on, it's still way better then in NWN. You don't get stuck behind barrels.

Voss

Erudite
That isn't so much a credit to the AI as it is a credit to keeping the handful of paths through each map clear of obstacles.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, sometimes in NWN if you stand close to e.g. a tree and click on the opposite side of it, your character will begin moving and suddenly stop. In Lionheart such things don't happen. But you're right, of course, that the citizens of Barcelona do not have the strange habit of putting their belongings in thousands of barrels scattered throughout the city.

Spazmo

Erudite
Lionheart came out over a year after NWN, though. They had time to remove all the barrel loot.

Ibbz

Augur
You beat me to it, unic. Actually, that was the part I was going to post when I noticed Ibbz beat me to it. ToEE is turn based. Paradise Cracked is turn based. Golden Land is turn based. A lot of independent CRPGs, like Geneforge 2, are turn based. However, compare that to all the NWN expansions, Larian's upcoming Riftrunner, Lionheart, Bloody Magic, Wierd War, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Siege: Legend of Aranna, Dungeon Siege 2, Anito, and so on.. It's hard to even claim most are turn based, because they're definitely not.
I thought about using that quote, but instead i thought i'd focus on the bad points in Lionheart. ;)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dungeon Siege (and I'd guess its sequals) are turn based, you turn on the game, and leave :P

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HanoverF said:
Dungeon Siege (and I'd guess its sequals) are turn based, you turn on the game, and leave :P

ZIIIIIIIIIIING!

Good one, Hanover!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom