Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware acquisition Q&A

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://au.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> had an opportunity to ask <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a>'s spin doctors <a href=http://au.gamespot.com/news/6180866.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1>a few qustions</a> about the acquisition.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Going from the worlds' biggest independent developer to part of the world's biggest publisher? People are kind of taken aback. What's your reaction to that?</b>
<br>
<br>
Ray Myzuka: Well, I'm really excited about the opportunity to integrate the great development teams we have here, the marketing teams we have here. As you said, EA is the largest, and I think, the best publisher in the world, and I think we can some value to that team, and that organization as a partnership. </blockquote><a href=http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ea_buys_bioware/>From Firing Squad: Insider view</a>:
<br>
"The company line is no doubt something like “BioWare is thrilled at the opportunity to work with the world’s leading game developer. We have been looking forward to blah blah blah”. A dose of reality can be found by hanging out the BioWare offices and overhearing some honest opinions."
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Right, but you guys were always an icon of independent development, and were even more so after the deal with Pandemic...</b>
<br>
<br>
Greg Zeschuk: Well, to be blunt, I don't really see ourselves as not being independent anymore. We've got a goal of making great BioWare games, and we believe in [EA CEO] John[ Riccitiello]'s vision--we can't overemphasize that. We've worked with John for years, and we're looking forward to keep doing what we're doing and doing it well.</blockquote>He's very optimistic. Time for a <a href=http://money.cnn.com/1998/08/17/life/q_ea/>HISTARY LESON!</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Westwood Studios, based in Las Vegas, currently has a five to six percent share of the PC game market. The company, and its 150 employees, will remain in Nevada. "We were courted by many companies, but in the end, we knew that EA would provide us with the best infrastructure and support that we need," said Sperry, Westwood's president and CEO.</blockquote>I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, Brett.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Deleted member 7219

Couldn't have put it better myself.

If the Doctors really are as smart as their titles suggest, they'll be looking into setting up a new studio.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is it me or do Ray and Greg acting like yet another journalist whores praising EA? I think they switched roles with GameSpot here.

Drakron

Arcane
BioWare got the name from Baldur's Gate series, neither Ray and Greg have the type of credentials to set up a game studio since they always been the CEOs of BioWare and never been part of the actual game development, its not like Fearrgus case ...

Its easy to predict the future of BioWare, in a few years they became EA "something" like all the studios that EA acquired before (even Maxis) ... of course with the "30 silver coins" they got from EA its not as if they cannot just retire ...

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
Is it me or do Ray and Greg acting like yet another journalist whores praising EA? I think they switched roles with GameSpot here.

The most likely scenario I can come up with is Bioware NEEDED Mass Effect to be a huge success financially - as in shut down the studio if it didn't rock the charts. We're already 6+ months past it's original release date, so they ran out of money. They were so in debt that they couldn't get another loan from anyone except Guido, so they had to either sell themselves to one of the big boys or not ship the game they have been working on the past 2-3 years.

It is the words of desperate men read from cue cards. I think I will feel less sorry for Bioware after playing Mass Effect. The cash crunch explains why Dragon Age has been on the back burner so long, and take note Dwight Schrute, Vegas is giving 10000:1 odds on Dragon Age hitting the street as a PC RPG.

MetalCraze

Arcane
they ran out of money
I doubt that. KotOR was a HUGE success for them. Jade Empire was a HUGE success for them. And then when they released it for PC - like everyone rushed out to buy it.
So running out of money is not an option.
Mass Effect is so over-hyped that it WILL BE a HUGE success for them , so I don't think that any publisher will let go this project so easily after investing into hype so much.
+delayed release date. You know - it happens sometimes.

Lack of money wasn't a big problem for Troika you know. As history shows - lack of money lets studio to release 3 great games and only then to shut down. And remain a legend forever.

Bioware is an overrated studio - yes. They made only two really nice RPGs. BG2 and the second addon for NWN1. Every other their game was mediocre or bad (like JE and Mass Effect now). However I had hopes for Dragon Age. And now this game WILL fall into EAs talent-grinding machine.
And you call games and movies about mega-corporations taking over the world a B-trash.

Drakron

Arcane
Doubtful ...

Microsoft is the publisher and its a Xbox 360 exclusive, money would not be much of a issue with Microsoft as publisher for a platform exclusive, Dragon Age would be more to blame of any issues since it started before Mass Effect and it seems to be far from complementation.

What stinks its the fact it was Elevation Partners that sold the studios to EA and John Riccitiello happened to be Managing Director of Elevation Partners before returning to EA.

Mass Effect swimming or sinking will have not much impact, the trial-by-fire will be Dragon Age and then that MMORPG ... in 2011 the future of BioWare will be known as either being another EA "something" or closed down for good.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
they ran out of money
I doubt that. KotOR was a HUGE success for them. Jade Empire was a HUGE success for them. And then when they released it for PC - like everyone rushed out to buy it.

I missed the part where they announced how much cash they received for those games. I don't think Jade Empire did as well as they hoped, and as many ex-developers will tell you, good sales doesn't always lead to a big pile of cash for the developer. In any case, running a studio is costly, and it's been 2.5 years since Jade Empire was released.

So running out of money is not an option.

Ah, you are as cocksure as you are ignorant - nice combination.

Mass Effect is so over-hyped that it WILL BE a HUGE success for them , so I don't think that any publisher will let go this project so easily after investing into hype so much.

Yeah, I can't imagine Microsoft letting Mass Effect fall off the release list. But maybe MS had already given as much as they were willing to to an independent developer, and Bioware was going to have to join MS studios. Once that became apparent, the Doctors started entertaining better offers and EA gave them something better.

+delayed release date. You know - it happens sometimes.

That's awesome. I can imagine Bioware showing up for a deliverable milestone, and Ray shrugs says there was a delay "You know - it happens sometimes" and then demands 6 months extra operating budget. Or maybe he used that magic line to convince the electric company, building owner, and all the employees to not ask for any money due to them.

Lack of money wasn't a big problem for Troika you know.

I'm sure the Troika employees would have loved your insight while they were packing up their stuff to take home after the studio closed down because it couldn't get money. You must have doubled up on your dumbfuck exercises this morning.

Ladonna

Arcane
This isn't too hot, though I believe the loss of Origin was a far bigger blow than Bioware. Out of Biowares games I enjoyed the two BG games, and didn't mind KOTOR I guess, but nothing else has really interested me.

Origin had RPG's coming out of its arse until it signed up with EA. It was a publisher itself and put out plenty of great games. Garriot was an idiot to sign Origin on in the first place and nothing came out of the deal when it came to RPG's, except for Super Avatar Brothers and Virtue Raider.

Bioware is probably the third worst loss to the Evil Empire. Origin is the worst loss, followed by Bullfrog.

Deleted member 7219

cardtrick said:
skyway said:
they ran out of money
Jade Empire was a HUGE success for them.

Pretty sure this isn't true . . . am I wrong?

It was a success but definitely not a huge one. I don't have any figures, but all you need to do is look around on the internet and talk to your friends about Jade Empire and you'll find most Xbox owners haven't even heard of Jade Empire. I think its release on the PC might have helped sales a bit and it did initially sell well on Steam but now it's pretty much unknown.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm sure the Troika employees would have loved your insight while they were packing up their stuff to take home after the studio closed down because it couldn't get money. You must have doubled up on your dumbfuck exercises this morning.

Actually that was a bitter sarcasm on my side.

In any case, running a studio is costly, and it's been 2.5 years since Jade Empire was released.

They re-released it and as far as I know got more money. Some people who bought JE for consoles even bought it for PC because it became a little better.
Also I don't think that Microsoft won't let Bioware to have another 6 months. Bioware is a big name still (for casuals) and Mass Effect is a big title - and 6 months is not a big term for a gaming industry. Atari has far far bigger financial problems (M$ does not have them at all) - and that didn't stopped them from giving additional time to Obsidian and NWN2.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:

Actually that was a bitter sarcasm on my side.

My apologies, I usually catch that, but I'm just starting my first cup of coffe this morning, after a long night of hard liquor consolation.

In any case, running a studio is costly, and it's been 2.5 years since Jade Empire was released.

They re-released it and as far as I know got more money. Some people who bought JE for consoles even bought it for PC because it became a little better.
Also I don't think that Microsoft won't let Bioware to have another 6 months. Bioware is a big name still (for casuals) and Mass Effect is a big title - and 6 months is not a big term for a gaming industry. Atari has far far bigger financial problems (M$ does not have them at all) - and that didn't stopped them from giving additional time to Obsidian and NWN2.

It's not that Microsoft couldn't give more time/money to Bioware. But MS knew they were losing Bungie, and could easily have been eying Bioware as a replacement feather for their cap. It would then be a game of chicken between MS and Bioware. Obviously I don't know the situation, but there are really only 2 reasons Bioware would join EA.

1) Bioware is a sinking ship and they need someone to bail them out.

2) Bioware is a right ship, and the Doctors are cashing out, selling the developers souls to EA to sail around the world in a huge yacht lighting their cuban cigars with $100 bills and snorting blow off hookers.

3) The third option would believe all the BS in the press announcements. They are not entirely stupid and industry insiders, so there is 0% chance of this option.

From there you just the history to see which is more likely.

There merger with pandemic is a hint towards sinking ship.

Announcement right before the release of a anticpated game is a huge hint towards sinking ship. Or maybe ME is a pile of shit, and Bioware wants to cash out before the news hits - that would hint towards right ship.

Dragon Age sitting on the counter next to the back burner for 4 years while they concentrate on one console game after another hints towards sinking ship.

Deleted member 7219

Are you blind or have you not been reading the press releases and discussion? Bioware didn't CHOOSE TO JOIN ANYONE. They were bought out.

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, they were sold out ...

Those people at Eidos Interactive must be so relived since "Elevation Partners" (AKA Backstabbing Liers) were trying to make then "join" back then ...

NOVD

Scholar
Yeah, the reason that Bioware is joining EA is that EA owns a significant enough portion of Bioware stock to make Bioware join EA. It's not that Bioware is fighting it, though, and it's not as though Ray and the other guy won't make a ton of money out of the deal.

Bioware was doing well, very well, but was small compared to EA. That's that, really.

It was a success but definitely not a huge one. I don't have any figures, but all you need to do is look around on the internet and talk to your friends about Jade Empire and you'll find most Xbox owners haven't even heard of Jade Empire.
Jade Empire was a huge success. Not like GTA or Halo or stuff like that, but it made more than a little money considering how long it was on the top sellers list.

MetalCraze

Arcane
My apologies, I usually catch that, but I'm just starting my first cup of coffe this morning, after a long night of hard liquor consolation.
Uh huh. I'm so heartless bastard that will say such things about the only people that knew how to do things right?
But anyway Troika is a great example of how people can fight for their ideas no matter what publisher wants. Bioware probably should learn this example - at least Troika was not afraid to make such games despite all pressure.
One way or another we lost Bioware forever. Noone returns from EA claws the way they were before.
So now our last hope is VD (and his team) it seems. Probably because he is the last rpg developer on Earth?

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Ladonna said:
Origin had RPG's coming out of its arse until it signed up with EA. It was a publisher itself and put out plenty of great games. Garriot was an idiot to sign Origin on in the first place and nothing came out of the deal when it came to RPG's, except for Super Avatar Brothers and Virtue Raider.

But we did get the excellent Wing Commanders 3 and 4. Those games wouldn't have been possible without EA financial backing, and they're two of my favorite games.

Drakron

Arcane
NOVD said:
Yeah, the reason that Bioware is joining EA is that EA owns a significant enough portion of Bioware stock to make Bioware join EA. It's not that Bioware is fighting it, though, and it's not as though Ray and the other guy won't make a ton of money out of the deal.

No.

BioWare is a private owned company, there are no trade stocks but BioWare about 1 or 2 years ago joined the Elevation Partners and so the company became owned by VG Holding Corp.

There are no stocks, EA simply brought then and so there is no fighting and that is so funny because Elevation Partners was for then to "fight" being brought off ...

Bioware was doing well, very well, but was small compared to EA. That's that, really.

EA have massive profits but they are not doing well, they are doing bad and that is why there was a change of seats recently.

Jade Empire was a huge success. Not like GTA or Halo or stuff like that, but it made more than a little money considering how long it was on the top sellers list.

No, it was not ... making top 10 in the Xbox list during the dry season is easy as hell, it did not preformed as expected, it was a big disappointment.

Feel free to prove me wrong but I need proof and not just your word for it ...

Drakron

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
But we did get the excellent Wing Commanders 3 and 4. Those games wouldn't have been possible without EA financial backing, and they're two of my favorite games.

WC III was good and a example of EA working with the companies but WC IV was a different deal since I know it gone over budget and EA withhold the team christmas bonus as part of then trying to get rid of Chris Roberts.

And, of course, we cannot forget we end up with Wing Commander: Prophecy in the end.

MetalCraze

Arcane
EA was good until 2002. After 2002 they went for crazy profits.
Really - remember Undying. One of the best horror-actions came from EA... Of course today things are different.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Drakron said:
Jeff Graw said:

WC III was good and a example of EA working with the companies but WC IV was a different deal since I know it gone over budget and EA withhold the team christmas bonus as part of then trying to get rid of Chris Roberts.

And, of course, we cannot forget we end up with Wing Commander: Prophecy in the end.

True. We also can't forget EA's part in killing the space sim genre (canceling all in-development Wing Commander titles) after Interplay dropped the ball (marketing and sales wise) on Freespace 2. Still, Wing 3 and 4 are among the best in the genre and wouldn't have been possible without EA. I don't disagree with you; just playing devil's advocate.

Drakron

Arcane
Wing Commander is Origin, WC III and WC IV are refinements of that ... you could see the same aspects on other Origin sims as Strike Commander (that I loved) and Wings of Glory.

WC:P is typical EA ... improved graphics and trying to mimic the previous ones success but its just a bad copy.

Consider this, WC IV run on a updated engine of WC III and yet its a far better game that WC:P that features a engine with all the bells and whistles of that generation.

Oarfish

Prophet
The demise of the wing commander series was the due to Chris Roberts wanting to be George Lucas, not the EA Sith demanding dumbing down. Origin was a huge loss, but given Garriotts continuing ability to disappoint I can't help thinking that laying so much of the blame for the state of the game industry on EA is tilting at windmills. The failure of the industry to live up to the promise of the silver age of gaming in the 1990s is far more systemic, a result of success. What was once a craft, a profitable labour of love that could be performed by small companies targeting enthusiasts and led by quirky visionaries now requires Hollywood production values and scientific marketing.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Drakron said:
Wing Commander is Origin, WC III and WC IV are refinements of that ... you could see the same aspects on other Origin sims as Strike Commander (that I loved) and Wings of Glory.

WC:P is typical EA ... improved graphics and trying to mimic the previous ones success but its just a bad copy.

Consider this, WC IV run on a updated engine of WC III and yet its a far better game that WC:P that features a engine with all the bells and whistles of that generation.

You're preaching to the choir I'm afraid. Prophecy had a shitty, generic-as-they-come story, the controls felt floaty as hell, especially compared to the infinitely superior controls of Freespace, and the game was completely schizophrenic: were the Nephilim mysterious intergalactic terrors or weak ass cannon fodder? No one will ever know.

Regardless of all of that, Wing 3 and 4 are proof that some good can happen from an EA takeover if two things happen:

1. EA pours massive cash into a developer
2. The development team is able to maintain creative control

Unfortunately, this rarely seems to be the case. Maybe it will be with Bioware for a few titles though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom