Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPGDot talks to Chris Avellone

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Planescape: Torment

Everyone's favorite <i>Planescape Torment</i> lead designin', <a href="http://fallout.blackisle.com/bible.html">Fallout Bible</a> writin', rootin' tootin' game developer <b>Chris Avellone</b> has done an interview with <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>. In typical RPGDot fashion, they don't bother asking any questions about the games or Feargus' latest kooky scheme to get rich quick, but rather ask some personal questions about just who Mr. Chris Avellone really is.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>RPGDot: If you could do any game, regardless of money and developing time, what would it be?
<br>
<br>
Chris Avellone: Torment came pretty close. A real-world RPG would be a lot of fun. I have some others brewing in the back of my head, we'll see if they ever see the light of day. I'm a little tired of the fantasy genre unless it has a really good visual or thematic hook, though - I'd rather do something a little more contemporary.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, I want Planescape: Torment II: Morte's Revenge! myself. Best of luck to <b>Chris Avellone</b> and the rest of <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com">Obsidian</a>!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Surprised they dont ask the really burning questions like "If you were a RPG developing Tree, what kind of RPG Developing Tree would you be?"

Dhruin

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
Surprised they dont ask the really burning questions like "If you were a RPG developing Tree, what kind of RPG Developing Tree would you be?"

Oops...did we leave that out? *g*

I've enjoyed most of these 'interviews' and Garrett has done an excellent job getting some big names to participate. I think it's quite valid to take a light look at them as individuals rather than the usual stuff which you can get from any other interview.

It would be nice to have asked for comments about Feargus, Obsidian, Jefferson et al but I doubt Chris would have agreed to participate then. ;)

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Somehow, looking at his picture, I'm not surprised about the Fallout Bible. I don't know why, I just get that feeling.

Jed

Cipher
Dhruin said:
Oops...did we leave that out? *g* I've enjoyed most of these 'interviews' and Garrett has done an excellent job getting some big names to participate. I think it's quite valid to take a light look at them as individuals rather than the usual stuff which you can get from any other interview. It would be nice to have asked for comments about Feargus, Obsidian, Jefferson et al but I doubt Chris would have agreed to participate then. ;)
Is the 'Codex becoming "legit"? We seem to be attracting a lot of game industry professionals to our humble site these days...

Calis

Pensionado
XJEDX said:
Is the 'Codex becoming "legit"? We seem to be attracting a lot of game industry professionals to our humble site these days...
Heh, RPGDot is as amateur as we are. Which actually makes them a better site than any of the "professional" sites out there, trust me. Once you get bogged down by site owners who set standards of how much content you need to produce, once you get caught up in getting as many cool interviews, previews and whatnot you can, editorial quality suffers. I've seen it at Gamer's Alliance and I can point it out on pretty much any pro-site that doesn't have a clear mission set for itself. (note that you could take this argument to the GH-thread as well... it's preaching to the wrong people though. I wouldn't have accepted these arguments back in my Gamer's Alliance days, either)

The Dot has a pretty clear mission: be the ultimate RPG Portal site and produce some content as well. Rendelius doesn't make money with the site, which enables it to have an amateur mindset with no reliance on corporate backing. While the staff consists of wildly different kinds of people than we have here, it's still a similar situation they're in, we're just trying for a different kind of site.

Please note that I'm not calling Dhruin an amateur. Well, I am, but I'm saying it's a good thing. :)

Dhruin

Liturgist
Not that a reply is necessary but I'll chime in anyway.

Yes, we're as unprofe...er...independant as you are and I'm just a sucker who, after spending a couple of years irritating Rend and Myrthos (etc) got the job of giving up nearly all my spare time looking for newsbits. I *wish* it could keep me in the style to which I'd *like* to become accustomed. ;)

I do read RPG Codex pretty regularly though, because I get a big smile out of the way you guys handle news and there's some robust debates.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
I think DU and Poop need more hugs and less hate.
DIE BITCH!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom