Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware 2000s First-Person FPS Shooter Games

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Snippity, snappy.
Those games aren't trying to be Doom, no need to hold them to the same standard
And honestly I don't think it's even correct to hold 1 game as the end all, be all of an entire genre and consider any game that deviates from its design principles to be immeadeatly shit

Also, have you ever considered that maybe part of the appeal of a game like Goldeneye or Halo was the fact it wasn't a Doom clone?

Lemming42

Arcane
One thing that's really cool about early console FPS games is that weird aiming system they had where you'd hold left trigger (or w/e) to aim, and it'd lock your character in place and make the thumbstick move the crosshair around on the screen. Medal of Honor on PS1 is one of the best examples I can think of.

Most people probably consider it clunky as fuck but I thought it was a pretty genius way to make the game feel distinct from a PC shooter in a way that actually used the controller as an advantage, because my experience with all FPS games on console in modern times is "this fucking sucks, I should be playing with with a mouse and keyboard".

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
One thing that's really cool about early console FPS games is that weird aiming system they had where you'd hold left trigger (or w/e) to aim, and it'd lock your character in place and make the thumbstick move the crosshair around on the screen. Medal of Honor on PS1 is one of the best examples I can think of.

Most people probably consider it clunky as fuck but I thought it was a pretty genius way to make the game feel distinct from a PC shooter in a way that actually used the controller as an advantage, because my experience with all FPS games on console in modern times is "this fucking sucks, I should be playing with with a mouse and keyboard".
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are notable examples of that.

Ash

Arcane
Imagine implying the so-called "boomer shooter" isn't the most complex type of pure FPS gameplay-wise. It's not even a small gap either. What a shame. Typical decline-enablers.

Ash

Arcane
CoD? Were were talking about Gaylo and GoldenGayGuy. I don't recall anyone mentioning CoD.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are notable examples of that.
Also Metroid Prime. They added (what became) standard twinstick controls to the remaster, but thankfully they preserved the original controls as an option, and I think it's better that way.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
original metroid prime controls suck cock, standard twin stick is 1000x better. who the fuck wants to stand still to aim up just so you are able to lock on and start circle strafing like you HAVE to do in metroid prime? shit is terrible

soutaiseiriron

Educated
zoomers amirite wanting tolerable controls that weren't designed feeble-minded nintoddlers who needed oversimplified SHIT because mprime was babby's first fps
(what became) standard twinstick
no, by the time metroid prime came out, standard twin stick was already standard twin stick. timesplitters had standard twin stick by default. halo had standard twin stick by default. MoH frontline had standard twin stick by default. metroid prime controls are bad today, and they were bad in holiday 2002.
there was zero reason for metroid prime controlling how it did, the gamecube had two sticks, fucking use them.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I may have mentioned this in another thread, but it's so weird being the only person who remembers that Black existed.

Might have to do with the site being largely PC oriented. I never heard of Black before an ex-coworker mentioned it some years ago as having great guns and i only played it recently when i got an original Xbox - and yes, i'd agree with him that Black has great gun feel, it is among the best in that aspect. The problem is that everything else is meh, from the tryhard cinematics (for what seems to be a generic story) to the overly scripted and linear levels and mid-2000s FPS tropes. IMO gun feel is nice to have for an FPS but even the best gun feel wouldn't be enough to carry an entire game.

That said i only played a few levels because i got bored of it and it might get better later, however from what i saw i don't have high hopes for that.

Ash

Arcane
It doesn't really get better. Same thing from start to finish. The final couple of levels are pretty tough against dudes with riot shields, cool bit with blowing up cars on a bridge etc, but it is too little, too late. Thoroughly mediocre game, just another shitty linear ridiculously simple and repetitive 2000s shooter for braindead tards.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
A few thoughts:

Half-Life 2 is not that different from Half-Life 1. People might say the first game's gun play and arena fights against black ops and HECU are better than the sequel's combine, which is true in my fuzzy memory, but that's like a whole 5% of both games. Both are primarily hazard avoidance games, an area where arguably Half Life 2 is the better of the two, or at least no worse.

FEAR is great. Play it with the slow motion key unbound -- the not so well hidden hard mode. It's Half-Life 1's gunfights, but better, all the time.

Anyway does anyone have a list of 00s FPS with no health regen? That would be a good starting point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom