Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 vs Oblivion at TGSN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.tgsn.co.uk>TGSN</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.tgsn.co.uk/rvw86pc.php>review</a> of <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>, comparing the game to Oblivion at every step, and giving it 8.5/10, noting the lack of polish and "crowd pleasing features".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Firstly, it saddens me to write this review, as it is already clear that this game will not get the credit it duly deserves from the wider world, and if not credit, then game sales. With Oblivion now pretty much cemented as the best RPG out there, people are very liable to ignore a game by a lesser known developer, with less exotic graphics and fewer gameplay gimmicks. However, take a step deep into Gothic 3, and you can see that there are in fact things it does better than the previously considered unstoppable, Oblivion.
<br>
<br>
Oblivion, which I’m afraid is the inevitable comparison just as every modern free-roaming shooter gets compared to GTA, has a huge game world, varied environments, but relatively little going on in them. Gothic 3 however is four times the size of the underwhelmingly massed Gothic 2, and although it is still not as big as Oblivion, there is much more life, and indeed fun to be had in the wilderness. Don’t get me wrong, there’s not the wealth of dungeons, castles and caves that Oblivion has, but it’s the outside, the grass, the trees, and the wildlife that brings the game to the front of the pack.
<br>
<br>
Graphically, Gothic 3 stands out if you have the PC to handle it. In particular, textures look very nice, but where Oblivion reuses textures and reduces detail in the distance but maintains a great length of view, Gothic 3 simply fogs surroundings a certain way away. It doesn’t look great and detaches you from the large game world. Unfortunately, there is no mode of transport in Gothic 3 either.
<br>
<br>
As you progress through the game you can choose to make a number of choices. These are not choices like whether should you save a little girl’s teddy bear, but are a combination of decisions throughout the story. Should you side with the Rebels, and attempt to overthrow the Orc rule, or take advantage of the situation and join the new rulers for a life of wealth and luxury (and fighting in the arenas). These options are not simply good vs. evil, and there are many clear points in the game’s plot that may morally sway you, to lead to one of three alternate endings.
<br>
<br>
Oblivion appeals to the masses with its console release, great graphics, movie-like storyline and all star voice talent, along with a seemingly endless array of missions. This is perhaps what sets it apart from Gothic 3, which is a far more traditional, levelling up, repeat this, do that, kind of RPG. That of course is a huge plus if you love all that sort of thing, but for average Joe gamers, they want action, intensity, blood and fire, which as a group, Gothic 3 deliberately avoids.</blockquote>Not sure I agree with the last paragraph as Gothic 3 does feature great graphics and more action than you can handle, but it's a more difficult game than Oblivion (very challenging combat and zero hand-holding), and that could turn some gamers off.
<br>
<br>
<br>

txa1265

Novice
When did I miss the 'movie-like storyline' of Oblivion? I guess I nodded off for that part ...

txa1265 said:
When did I miss the 'movie-like storyline' of Oblivion? I guess I nodded off for that part ...

Hollywood movie. Y'know, the way it was cliched, tired, unoriginal, really stupid, childish and minimalist.

txa1265

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:
txa1265 said:

Hollywood movie. Y'know, the way it was cliched, tired, unoriginal, really stupid, childish and minimalist.

Oh ... silly me, thinking it was a *compliment* ;)

elander_

Arbiter
Oblivion movie is just the right description and not even a good movie with a well writen argument.

Slith

Scholar
Firstly, it saddens me to write this review, as it is already clear that this game will not get the credit it duly deserves from the wider world, and if not credit, then game sales. With Oblivion now pretty much cemented as the best RPG out there, people are very liable to ignore a game by a lesser known developer, with less exotic graphics and fewer gameplay gimmicks.

So really, the only reason Oblivion wins out over Gothic 3 is a result of better graphics and gimmicky features. No, it's not a better game. It's just shinier so you have to give it more marks, obviously.

I wonder if gaming journalism is ever going to grow some balls and actually call a AAA title out on how awful it is. Enough lapping the dripping assjuice of corporate buttmonkeys. Get some objective views, even polarized, biased views. So long as people can get proper reviews of what the gaming companies are churning out right now. I'm sick of seeing GENERIC FPS/RPG/RTS OF SHIT 9/10 OMFG AWESOME.

Jesus H. CHRIST! WTF!! what is happening to GAMING???? i can see it now: Bethesda will announce this:

"The Elder scrolls 5, it has better graphics than Oblivion!" (instantly goes gold)

"5 better balanced skills to choose from ranging from that long shiny thingy that cuts things to a GREAT new skill that lets you auto pick flowers as you walk by them!" (goes Platnum)

"A new feature called Radiant Fighting! your character will automatically choose the best equipment for you and actually DO the fighting for you! Yay!" (goes 5x Platnum)

Someone has got to save gaming soon or we are all FUCKING doomed. DOOMED! :evil:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Slith, the gaming "journalists" will grow some balls when their paychecks don't come straight out of the game publisher's pockets. And I'm not referring to the mythical bribes reviewers receive.

Upping their quality of writing standards would also help. I have a ton of old (and not so old) gaming mags I keep for when I'm making some chilli-con-carne in the bathroom, and reading them again is almost painful because the "reviews" read like they were written by Harry Knowles.

WittyName

Scholar
Speaking as someone who once played Atari 2600 games when he was very very young, graphics in modern games have never been important to me. In fact, I usually cringe when I see "Oblivion-like-graphics" because it means I'll probably have to buy a new computer to run the game.

It's really not that much of a detractor if the game world is smaller than Oblivion. I'd rather a smaller world that is "tighter" and has more story/meaning to it than some huge world with 50 generic caves stocked with the same generic bad guys who you kill for seemingly no purpose at all.

D

Scholar
After playing both as long as I could stand them (12 minutes and 9 minutes respectively), I can assert that both games suck. I'll have another plate of replaying Betrayal at Krondor, plz.

Seems to me that the only good first person RPGs ever made have been the underworld series, daggerfall, the system shock series and the first deus ex (and maybe albion and BaK if you consider them first person), and that this'll remain true as long as everyone produces TES sequels and Gothic sequels instead of something original or interesting to play or just not shit.

Texas Red

Whiner
WittyName said:
It's really not that much of a detractor if the game world is smaller than Oblivion. I'd rather a smaller world that is "tighter" and has more story/meaning to it than some huge world with 50 generic caves stocked with the same generic bad guys who you kill for seemingly no purpose at all.

You are correct. A nice small tight ass is much better than a huge one.

Voss

Erudite
Not when the consumer is that tiny ass and the industry is trying to rape you with the Washington Monument.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
He pretended he was a hawt girl.. and rpg codex dont like hawt girls, aspecially when they´re male..

germx

Novice
Well... The horses in oblivion was useless anyway.. never used them as my magician ran faster than the horses :P

Dox

Novice
To be honest horses in Oblivion were just additional polygons in the screen that decreased game performance. So why the hell you need to stick one extra object in the screen, especially when its just eyecandy? You saw the horse - "kewl" and just kept walking, ignoring it.

KevinV12000

Arcane
This is the key right here:

but for average Joe gamers, they want action, intensity, blood and fire, which as a group, Gothic 3 deliberately avoids

In the immortal words of the Waco Kid: "You know. Morons."

The simple fact of the matter is that at one time there were video games, which featured action, intensity, blood and fire and there were computer games, which featured story, puzzles, imagination and depth. With the standardization of productive resources imposed by the console platform, the two genres merged with the larger market dominating.

Leaving the computer gamer as obsolete as the buggy whip.

I don't see how furiously battling my way up a tower in order to better defend myself from a bloodthirsty horde of orcs doesn't count as intense action... and I threw a few fireballs too...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom