Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News J.E. Speaks

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); J.E. Sawyer

<a href=http://www.blackisle.com>Black Isle's</a> <b>J.E. Sawyer</b> has started a very interesting <a href=http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=21376&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0>thread in the IPLY forum</a>. Here's a quote:
<br>
<ul><i>
<br>
However, Black Isle and Interplay are not abandoning PC RPGs. Despite all of our recent troubles, we are still moving forward with PC RPG development. Interplay recognizes that although the majority of its business must be console, they can still make good profits with PC RPGs. Yes, even hardcore PC RPGs.
<br>
</ul></i>
<br>
It's good to see that IPLY realizes the fact that it has to focus more on the consoles! Kewl beanz!
<br>
<br>
He also says that the next title to be announced might be Van Buren. If it's going to be announced before Jefferson, it probably means that Jefferson has been delayed/canned because of the license problems. IIRC, Van Buren was going to be based on the Jefferson engine as well. Baldur's Gate 3? Icewind Dale 3? Fall... no, this one is too unlikely!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com>No Mutants Allowed</a>.

triCritical

Erudite
They don't have the license to make BG3. just IWD's. And my guess is that is what Jefferson is probably going to turn into. My guess is they go with FO3. I have also said this on the BIS boards, and a dev has yet to say FO3 is not in production.

Spazmo

Erudite
BG storyline issues aside, they've lost the rights to that name. So it's either FO3 or something with that rubbish they bought from White Wolf.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yup, Spazmo and Tri are correct. They can't make any BG games for the PC because Interplay kinda forgot to pay Infogrames their dues on that subject - but they extended the rights to make BG games for the console to 2008. :roll:

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

They said that there focus will be more towards consoles, 3 projects, 1 pc, 1 console, Van whatever will probably be console to make their statement true. 2/3 console to pc.

Rayt

Liturgist
If it's not Fallout 3, then it might be a Planescape game. 8)

Though I'm not sure how the license works....WoTSC said they don't support it anymore; would that mean it's also not possible to make new games based on this setting? I mean, Interplay isn't even allowed to print new copies of PsT, if I'm not mistaken.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rayt said:
If it's not Fallout 3, then it might be a Planescape game. 8)

Though I'm not sure how the license works....WoTSC said they don't support it anymore; would that mean it's also not possible to make new games based on this setting? I mean, Interplay isn't even allowed to print new copies of PsT, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup, they can't make a PS:T2 or similar because WotC still owns the rights even if they're doing nothing with it.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Re: hey

Sabotai said:
POOPERSCOOPER said:
They said that there focus will be more towards consoles, 3 projects, 1 pc, 1 console, Van whatever will probably be console to make their statement true. 2/3 console to pc.

No, it's going to be a PC release, if I'm to believe a BIS developer:

http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=21421&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

He can't put it more explicitly than this.

HIm I guess your right. I doubt it's a wanted sequel like FO3 or Planescape2, I don't think Feargus would OF been complaining if they were about to make FO3. Like Saint said they don't have the license for Planscape so it's unlikely that they'll buy it again just to make a sequel to a supposedly "low income" game that was Planescape: Torment.

I'm not sure, but it may be FO3 because making a Fallout console game out of the blue would just be stupid(Interplay though) so they may be trying to bring console gamers to the PC to buy FO3 through Fallout : BOS, like they said they wanted to widen their audience. I don't know.

triCritical

Erudite
I think its simple.

Jefferson -> IWD3; BTW possible delayed or cancelled.
anime fanstasy crap goes to console.
VanBuren is FO3,
They are already developing BGDA2,
and the other console title is FOBoS, the crappy!

The only other option for Van Buren is Torn.

Jed

Cipher
triCritical said:
The only other option for Van Buren is Torn.
I'd like to see Torn come to light. I know I'm probably in a minority, but I thought it looked pretty interesting, setting-wise. It was of course, as are the vast majority of fantasy settings, cliche-ridden, but they seemed to take a few of the cliches and twist them, like the Ogre PC race being very wise and gentle. At any rate, at least it would be their own IP, but I guess Interplay does have a history of either ignoring or bastardizing its IP...

Flarnet

Liturgist
Interplay does have a history of either ignoring or bastardizing its IP

That's the good part of their treatment. That takes place before the "fucking it up the ass until it breaks beyond repair" part.

Rayt

Liturgist
Sabotai said:
So Rayt,
Maybe a bit off topic, but as a former IPLY moderator, what´s happening with the censorship and banning at the IPLY-forums?

http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=21462
and
http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=21413

To me it seems the forum is dying and the Fallout fanboys are blamed for this

Well, The Interplay bosses are fed up with the boards and don't see a reson to keep it around. I guess because of all the FO:BOS drama that's been going on there lately. So Krazikatt now tries to prove otherwsie by giving the moderators and posters some time to prove otherwise. And in other to please the high ups, any negative ranting and bashing, especially related to FO:BOS is forbidden. The execs even mentioned names to Krazikatt of people who should get banned, like Azael for example. It's really getting absurd.

Which to me was a sign I'd better quit, since I don't have an urge to become a board nazi and piss of half the community just because Interplay doesn't seem to know who their fans are.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Rayt said:
Well, The Interplay bosses are fed up with the boards and don't see a reson to keep it around. I guess because of all the FO:BOS drama that's been going on there lately. So Krazikatt now tries to prove otherwsie by giving the moderators and posters some time to prove otherwise. And in other to please the high ups, any negative ranting and bashing, especially related to FO:BOS is forbidden. The execs even mentioned names to Krazikatt of people who should get banned, like Azael for example. It's really getting absurd.

I was a bit surprised seeing my name singled out. tarna (another mod at the Interplay boards, my former co-mod in Ye Olde Pages) sent me a PM with that page from the mod forum as an attachement and my name was specifically mentioned by Krazikatt, alongside with Rager_Kaine, as one of the people the high-ups wanted banned. The place is crap now and I probably won't stick around much longer either way.

As for Jefferson, the game could be good based on what Sawyer have hinted at, I for one hope that it gets released.

Section8

Cipher
I really hope that someone out there is documenting all of these happenings. Interplay can come up with a textbook "how not to" for any situation. Instead of lovingly greasing up their squeaky wheels, they are cutting them off and wondering why their vehicle is no longer moving. Meanwhile they're hoping that a new paint job will get their rusted hulk back into the running again.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rayt said:
The execs even mentioned names to Krazikatt of people who should get banned, like Azael for example. It's really getting absurd.

What the fuck did Azael do? I've never seen anything out of him even remotely worthy of a ban.. Then again, they banned me for that PR picture of Chuck as my avatar, which sounds more like a flimsy excuse for a ban to me, given all the pimpage I've done for Lionheart both here and on DAC.

Which to me was a sign I'd better quit, since I don't have an urge to become a board nazi and piss of half the community just because Interplay doesn't seem to know who their fans are.

I have to say that this is even more proof that Interplay has the poorest management ever. It's like they thrive on screwing themselves over. I don't think they have any idea how bad this makes them look in the eyes of consumers. It's really quite pathetic.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
What the fuck did Azael do? I've never seen anything out of him even remotely worthy of a ban.. Then again, they banned me for that PR picture of Chuck as my avatar, which sounds more like a flimsy excuse for a ban to me, given all the pimpage I've done for Lionheart both here and on DAC.

You spoke bad of TEH HOKLEY FALLOUT BROTTERHOOED OF STREL!

I can name 10 mods who should be banned long before Azael, and exponentially more of the usual shitheads there should be banned first.

Interplay has some world-class morons at the helm. Instead of taking the criticising as a sign that something might be wrong with the design, just try to hide the people making points about the bad design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom