Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion - the best game evar. No, seriously.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

PC Gamers UK (the August issue) is under the impression that a game better than <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> has never been made, which is why it's the #1 game in their Top 100 Games <b>Ever</b> list :
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The success - not to mention brilliance - of Oblivion is a vindication of ambition. It says that its worth biting off more than you can easily chew if the morsel is tasty enough. No one else makes games like this.</blockquote>"Trusted by both the games-buying public and the industry to deliver the most authoritative, honest, informative and entertaining reviews, PC Gamer is the ultimate buyer’s guide."
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

FaranBrygo

Educated
I weep for PC Gamer. It used to be a good gaming magazine but now it is nothing more than an auxiliary for marketing departments.

Slith

Scholar
Gambler said:
So it's top Top 100 Game Sales Ever?

No, I'm pretty sure The Sims, the Halo's, and the GTA's all rank better in sales than Oblivion, so they probably do mean 'BESTEST GAEM EVAR11!!!11@@!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I weep and cry bitter tears for the people who write such things.... and black tears for those who actually believe it.

Even a blind Mormon in a coffin that has been submerged underwater for ten years would realise that [insert good game of your choice] was a much better game.

Seriously... we are all doomed. I stopped watching TV because it became more and more stupid. Now it seems like one will also have to stop reading such magazines because they, too, succumb to the void of ignorance.

Bradylama

Arcane
I seriously wonder what these guys' credentials are.

It says that its worth biting off more than you can easily chew if the morsel is tasty enough. No one else makes games like this.

I'm getting a mixed message from this. They're implying that the game was too much for Bethesda to handle, but that the end result forgives its flaws, then declare it to be one-of-a-kind.

I imagine by the time somebody else releases a massive-world RPG sandbox people will lose their sense of uniqueness when it comes to Oblivion and it'll be dropped down to a 60's slot.

To tell you the truth, though, I didn't know Todd knew how to charter flights.

Zomg

Arbiter
The thing is, they're probably not being bribed, but just hype victim rubes. New system hype and game hype came together to give them suppurating brain lesions.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
"Trusted by both the games-buying public and the industry to deliver the most authoritative, honest, informative and entertaining reviews, PC Gamer is the ultimate buyer’s guide."
Says who? Themselves?

Of course, it might be true. PC Gamer might be the ultimate buyer's guide. Of course, this has nothing to do with being a gamer's guide. The title should be "PC Buyer".

A bit of useless info: the Polish edition of PC Gamer flopped hard and iirc eventually disappeared.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Jasede said:
I weep and cry bitter tears for the people who write such things.... and black tears for those who actually believe it.

Even a blind Mormon in a coffin that has been submerged underwater for ten years would realise that [insert good game of your choice] was a much better game.

Seriously... we are all doomed. I stopped watching TV because it became more and more stupid. Now it seems like one will also have to stop reading such magazines because they, too, succumb to the void of ignorance.

I have long since stopped reading magazines or pulp fiction, and it's sad. It's getting the the point where I may have to just stop playing games.

Perishiko

Scholar
I had more fun with the original mario bro's. Even it had quite the bit of replayability. (And come on, it came with duck hunt!)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Like Morrowind, I'm actually enjoying Oblivion for what it is. A mindless romp through dungeons which holds your hand the entire way. I'd give it the award for most obvious message box warnings.

Quest Description: Go to the Where-ever Caves, find the Altar of Whatever and place the Staff of Everscamp on it. This is the only place you can drop the staff.

Message Box when you get to the caves: "You have found the Where-ever Caves, you should go inside."

Message Box when you're almost at the altar which is in no way cleverly hidden in the middle of the only room in the Cave: "The altar must be close by."

Message Box when you enter the room with the altar: "You no longer feel the need to hold onto the Staff of Everscamp."

Message Box when you get to the altar 2 seconds later: "I should place the Staff of Everscamp by the altar."

Message Box after you drop the Staff: "I have dropped the Staff of Everscamp by the altar."

QUEST UPDATED.

Quest Description: "I have dropped the Staff of Everscamp by the altar. I should return to Whomever and tell them I've completed the quest."

Binary

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Like Morrowind, I'm actually enjoying Oblivion for what it is. A mindless romp through dungeons which holds your hand the entire way. I'd give it the award for most obvious message box warnings.

Quest Description: Go to the Where-ever Caves, find the Altar of Whatever and place the Staff of Everscamp on it. This is the only place you can drop the staff.

Message Box when you get to the caves: "You have found the Where-ever Caves, you should go inside."

Message Box when you're almost at the altar which is in no way cleverly hidden in the middle of the only room in the Cave: "The altar must be close by."

Message Box when you enter the room with the altar: "You no longer feel the need to hold onto the Staff of Everscamp."

Message Box when you get to the altar 2 seconds later: "I should place the Staff of Everscamp by the altar."

Message Box after you drop the Staff: "I have dropped the Staff of Everscamp by the altar."

QUEST UPDATED.

Quest Description: "I have dropped the Staff of Everscamp by the altar. I should return to Whomever and tell them I've completed the quest."

LMAO :lol:

Bradylama

Arcane
Claw said:
Bradylama said:
I seriously wonder what these guys' credentials are.
Cred..what? They're writing about games. Since when do you need credentials for that!?

I dunno. I figured since it's a critical media they might have some actual critical or journalistic edumacation. Maybe they think because they're English they default as being educated?

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Oblivion isn't that bad. It's just clearly not the best game ever. But it's just sme magazine's opinion, who cares? We all know the print media, online media and most other media can't be trusted to represent the views of the hardcore who play around here (myself included).

Whipporowill

Erudite
I stopped reading gaming mags 8 years ago or something, they're totally worthless these days - sorely outdated by our beloved internet. PC Gamer however, was the only mag I read.... sad.

Twinfalls

Erudite
The last gaming magazine I bought was 'Computer Games', the one with Tom Chick as a regular writer and reviewer (whose review of Black and White caused the publisher to boycott/threaten the mag and/or Chick himself, being about the only negative review of the game in the printed press). It was more intelligent than any other general gaming mag.

I think I read somewhere that it recently did away with giving any scores at all for reviews, which is pretty cool. But I haven't read it for a number of years now.

Data4

Arcane
Binary said:
DarkUnderlord said:

QUEST UPDATED.

LMAO :lol:

It's funny 'cause it's true. No, really. That's EXACTLY how the Everscamp staff quest plays out.

-D4

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom