Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Anyone who doesn't want heroes fighting in the battlefield because muh "HaRd tO bAlanCe!" is a fucking retard. Heroes of Might and Magic games are single player games and should stay that way. It should have all the fun overpowered and unbalanced shit it can get. I remember one time someone post the rules for multiplayer in Heroes3, here:

- no DD/Fly (you can''t use Dimention Door and Fly spells as well as Angel Wings artefact)

- no Scrolls Level 4 - 5 (you can''t use magic scrolls with spells Level 4 - 5)

- no Necro (you can''t select Necropolis as starting town, you can't use Necro skill (must dismiss all gained skeletons after each battle) and can't build new creature buildings in necro towns if you will find them)

- no Conflux (you can''t select Conflux as starting town, and can't build new creature buildings in flux towns if you will find them)

- no Diplo (you can''t take, level up Diplomacy skill and join monsters.)

- no Joiners (you can''t join wandering monsters even without Diplomacy skill)

- no Log spec (Kyrre, Gunnar, Dessa can't be starting hero and can't attack into final battle. Final battle happens were both heroes have >50% HP of their bought troops)

- no Grail (you can''t build Grail in towns)

- no Carto (you can''t visit Cartographer)

- no Hillfort (you can''t upgrade creatures in Hillfort)

- no Upgrades (you can''t upgrade creatures from Conservatories/Hives)

- maximum 1 level 7 dwell of each town type is allowed to flag on the whole map for one player.

- no Doublebuild (you can't build up 2 same towns. Not allowed to build only creature dwellings level3-7. Example: if player start with Dungeon and has 2 Strongholds then he is allowed to build 1 Stronghold and Dungeon)

- no Red Rush (Red player can''t attack Blue or flag blue's unguarded town on Day 1 of ANY week after Red has bought some NEW army (in any town or dwelling) or Red has hired new hero)

- no Hit & Run (Fleeing or surrendering from combat is not allowed for the first 3 rounds if you have done more damage to your opponent than he has done to you (HP). You are allowed to flee/surrender in any situation if that is the first action you take. Not allowed to use magic level 3+ by prison heroes level11 or higher.

This is fucking retarded beyond any acceptable level, why even play the game then ? go play CHESS online, the most asymmetrical and balanced turn based game you can get.

So yeah multiplayer players decline enablers can go fuck themselves. But if you're a Heroes fan who does not want heroes fighting the battlefield because it's removes something that makes Heroes games different from Age of Wonders, Master of Magic and others games, then i can understand you, there's charm to the vanilla Heroes gameplay formula.
I assume that most people are skeptical because we already had it in HoMM4 and HoMM4 was a mixed bag. You could either one shot most heroes with a single spell or ranged attack or they became one man armies that could take down anything, in particular in the later missions of the campaigns. Both cases didn't improve the game. But HoMM5 did expand the hero participation in combat. You had the ability to use an normal attack, cast a spell, or you could in many cases use a special ability based on your faction, while the hero is always staying on the backline as commander that can't be attacked. This was done fairly well and an improvement over HoMM3 that I'd like to see again, should we ever get another HoMM game.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I don't like HoMM4. HoMM5 has the best gameplay and campaigns of the series without a question, as well as the best mod (Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5, which is really an upgrade of the game in all ways). It has none of the aesthetic or writing charm of any previous entry in the series though, so you'll have to enjoy it for the gameplay solely.
Does the HoMM 5.5 mod work with the campaigns?

I assume that most people are skeptical because we already had it in HoMM4 and HoMM4 was a mixed bag. You could either one shot most heroes with a single spell or ranged attack or they became one man armies that could take down anything, in particular in the later missions of the campaigns. Both cases didn't improve the game. But HoMM5 did expand the hero participation in combat. You had the ability to use an normal attack, cast a spell, or you could in many cases use a special ability based on your faction, while the hero is always staying on the backline as commander that can't be attacked. This was done fairly well and an improvement over HoMM3 that I'd like to see again, should we ever get another HoMM game.

I understand but Heroes IV is not bad(from what i've heard, i have not played much yet) because of the new ideas but because the game is unfinished and was rushed. Maybe if the developers had the same amount of stability and time that they had when developing HOMM2 and 3, Heroes IV could've been a just as good.

Even then a lot of people liked the game, i've seen a lot of dedicated Heroes IV fans out there.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't like HoMM4. HoMM5 has the best gameplay and campaigns of the series without a question, as well as the best mod (Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5, which is really an upgrade of the game in all ways). It has none of the aesthetic or writing charm of any previous entry in the series though, so you'll have to enjoy it for the gameplay solely.

Yes, just not the most recent version. When you download the mod from moddb or their Discord, it’ll say which version is Campaign compatible.

Blutwurstritter

Learned

Yes, just not the most recent version. When you download the mod from moddb or their Discord, it’ll say which version is Campaign compatible.
It sounds like they are working on a release with improved campaign support based on the moddb page and the heroes community thread. I'll wait for that release and then try the campaigns.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It sounds like they are working on a release with improved campaign support based on the moddb page and the heroes community thread. I'll wait for that release and then try the campaigns.

They basically mainly work on the multiplayer version, and then when everything’s sorted they bring the campaign version up and so it continues. They’ve been “close” to a new campaign release for a while now, so it does make sense to wait if you can. But honestly, the differences won’t be massive. The current campaign version already has the most important changes implemented.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone who doesn't want heroes fighting in the battlefield because muh "HaRd tO bAlanCe!" is a fucking retard. Heroes of Might and Magic games are single player games and should stay that way. It should have all the fun overpowered and unbalanced shit it can get. I remember one time someone post the rules for multiplayer in Heroes3, here:

- no DD/Fly (you can''t use Dimention Door and Fly spells as well as Angel Wings artefact)

- no Scrolls Level 4 - 5 (you can''t use magic scrolls with spells Level 4 - 5)

- no Necro (you can''t select Necropolis as starting town, you can't use Necro skill (must dismiss all gained skeletons after each battle) and can't build new creature buildings in necro towns if you will find them)

- no Conflux (you can''t select Conflux as starting town, and can't build new creature buildings in flux towns if you will find them)

- no Diplo (you can''t take, level up Diplomacy skill and join monsters.)

- no Joiners (you can''t join wandering monsters even without Diplomacy skill)

- no Log spec (Kyrre, Gunnar, Dessa can't be starting hero and can't attack into final battle. Final battle happens were both heroes have >50% HP of their bought troops)

- no Grail (you can''t build Grail in towns)

- no Carto (you can''t visit Cartographer)

- no Hillfort (you can''t upgrade creatures in Hillfort)

- no Upgrades (you can''t upgrade creatures from Conservatories/Hives)

- maximum 1 level 7 dwell of each town type is allowed to flag on the whole map for one player.

- no Doublebuild (you can't build up 2 same towns. Not allowed to build only creature dwellings level3-7. Example: if player start with Dungeon and has 2 Strongholds then he is allowed to build 1 Stronghold and Dungeon)

- no Red Rush (Red player can''t attack Blue or flag blue's unguarded town on Day 1 of ANY week after Red has bought some NEW army (in any town or dwelling) or Red has hired new hero)

- no Hit & Run (Fleeing or surrendering from combat is not allowed for the first 3 rounds if you have done more damage to your opponent than he has done to you (HP). You are allowed to flee/surrender in any situation if that is the first action you take. Not allowed to use magic level 3+ by prison heroes level11 or higher.

This is fucking retarded beyond any acceptable level, why even play the game then ? go play CHESS online, the most asymmetrical and balanced turn based game you can get.

So yeah multiplayer players decline enablers can go fuck themselves.

Why don't they use some kind of handicap system instead? Like weak/unknown players choosing faction first, and the master player last.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I loved the campaign stories in 4 and the characters were better developed, and so I will give the writing quality to 4 over the others. 5 is forgettable, I enjoyed my time with it buy the story sucked and gameplay wasn't as good as HoMM3 WoG.

If interested in WoG:

Honestly, the fact that no HoMM game compares to HoMM 3 + WoG is disappointing!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
HoMM4 has the best writing with the caveat that it only concerns the base game campaigns. The life campaign is kinda eh, though. You should still finish it, it's still better than anything that has come out of HoMM before or since, but just be aware it's not representative of all the base game campaigns. The expansion campaigns are all dubious at best, they were made on a shoe-string budget over the weekend, so don't have huge expectations after the originals.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Apparently people who really liked homm 3 didn't like 4. I played 4 before 3 and found it fantastic. Definitely worth playing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
What is the hardcore homm guys opinion on Lords of Magic? Sorry if this is too off topic if so ignore it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's a bad game with very little redeeming features and was swiftly identified as such on release, but there seems to have been a little of recent revisionism on it for whatever reason.

Heroes of Might and Magic games are single player games and should stay that way.
Suuuuuuuure thing, bud.

Nathir

Liturgist
I like both 4 and 5, but not as much as 3. Never did the campaigns for them though. I remember starting one for 5, but dropped it pretty quickly, as I was bored. This was probably 10+ years ago, and we mostly played hot seat as teenagers.

4 is pretty unique compared to the rest of the series. With not needing a hero for an army to travel, heroes fighting on the field themselves, the fact you need to chose between 2 monsters every tier and lose the other... Gameplay wise it's the most unique one I'd say. It's fun trying to build the most OP hero you can. It has a very different vibe than 3, the main issue for me are the somewhat ugly "realistic" designs for certain creatures and heroes. Devils look terrible, imps and venom spawns look very goofy and cartoony. Then you have crusaders, golems, vampires etc. that all look really cool. The armageddon animation iirc is a single rock falling directly onto each stack, it's pretty lame. It's a bit of an uneven game that could have used some more development but it turned out fine enough.

5 I think is pretty fun to play. I like the heroes, the skill tree, the combat. It tries really hard to bring the game back to the style of 3, and it somewhat succeeds. There are no innovations like in 4. It's all standard fare. I have no idea about the actual balance, but just based on gut feeling the Sylvan rangers felt really overpowered with their doubleshot. Especially with the hero that buffed them. The teleport spell felt like cheese aswell. Just like 4 the vibe is very different. This time the visuals went into a more cartoony, Warcraft direction. If you can stomach that, you'll like the game if you liked 3. Also, I only got into Warhammer like 2 years ago, and it made me realize how much they copied from it. Dungeon in 5 are essentially Dark elves from Warhammer. If you are interested in the campaigns, like I said, this one is pretty boring with a lame story. Oh, and the flow of the game is kinda slow, there's a lot of loading and waiting around iirc.

zapotec

Liturgist
I am playing Armageddon Blade campaigns and i found that without Town Portal some of the missions are (almost) impossible.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Heroes 4 is the Might&Magic IX of the Heroes series.
Make of this what you will.
It's even the same world setting, presumably.

But seriously I didn't enjoy the weird sound and effects design with the comic style tweeting birds and circling stars when someone gets hit by a mace for example.
That bother anyone else?
I think Heroes 3 was at least a little more dignified than that.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
M&M and it's spinoffs were clearly always campy. Have you played the Heroes 2 campaign?
I simply can't remember "story" of the Heroes 3 campaign, so i can't attest to its campiness, heroes 4 though I can, Gauldoth Halfdeath, spazzmaticus and mongo the barbarian are so bad you can not forget the shit

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
But seriously I didn't enjoy the weird sound and effects design with the comic style tweeting birds and circling stars when someone gets hit by a mace for example.
That bother anyone else?
Yeah it's real shit on the senses; everything looks/sounds cheap compared to homm 3; shame cause it's pretty fun otherwise, different but fun.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Maybe it's aggravated because I set the combat speed fairly high. After all I've played the hell out of heroes games since the first one came out and have less patience for too drawn out animations.
When you do that, the soundscape is more hectic than a pinball machine and enough to give me migraines.
Whenever I think of Heroes 4, what springs to mind is a cacophony of squires stunning creatures and the constant high/low morale sound effects which for some reason happen at the start of almost every round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom