Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Jan Beuck on CRPG design elements

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jan Beuck

It's been a while since I posted one of these, so I asked <b>Jan Beuck</b> of <a href="http://www.master-creating.de/">master creating</a> to <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=53">whip up a CRPG design element editorial</a>. So, he was nice enough to do one, unlike some other developers I could mention that said they would but haven't. *cough*<b>Eric Dallaire</b>*cough*
<br>
<br>
Anyway, here's a clip of it:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Although game technology is a term 3D shooters would like to reserve, every game has an engine. Although great gameplay is by far the most important point to make a great game, graphics and sound are the most important suppliment. Game technology is even more: It´s not only what you see and hear, it also plays a major role for the gameplay itself. A good example is a physics engine - it´s invisible, but it can make the gameplay better through a more interactive world. And yes, maybe more realistic, but that´s not really the point - if you ever shot at a barrel you know it doesn´t move even an inch (and it also doesn´t explode, even if it´s filled with green slime). Instead the bullet flies straight though it. By the way, they also fly though car doors, so never try to hide there like in a Hollywood movie.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Hiding behind overturned tables in a cafe would also be a bad idea.
<br>

Eric Dallaire

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
It's been a while since I posted one of these, so I asked <b>Jan Beuck</b> of <a href="http://www.master-creating.de/">master creating</a> to <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=53">whip up a CRPG design element editorial</a>. So, he was nice enough to do one, unlike some other developers I could mention that said they would but haven't. *cough*<b>Eric Dallaire</b>*cough*

Anyway, here's a clip of it:

<blockquote>Although game technology is a term 3D shooters would like to reserve, every game has an engine. Although great gameplay is by far the most important point to make a great game, graphics and sound are the most important suppliment. Game technology is even more: It´s not only what you see and hear, it also plays a major role for the gameplay itself. A good example is a physics engine - it´s invisible, but it can make the gameplay better through a more interactive world. And yes, maybe more realistic, but that´s not really the point - if you ever shot at a barrel you know it doesn´t move even an inch (and it also doesn´t explode, even if it´s filled with green slime). Instead the bullet flies straight though it. By the way, they also fly though car doors, so never try to hide there like in a Hollywood movie.</blockquote>

Hiding behind overturned tables in a cafe would also be a bad idea.

You've sunk to a new low!

Spazmo

Erudite
Eric Dallaire wouldn't write a simple article for RPGCodex? He is clearly the Anti-Christ. Tell me, Dallaire, does that blood-soaked baby flesh taste good?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You guys are mean. I am, too - with difference that I exclude Mr. Dallaire from my reign of terror.

Beg for mercy, Mr. Dallaire. BEG FOR MERCY!

:wink:

Ausir

Arcane
Can't you just focus your anger on someone else? Chucky Cuevas, for instance?

Ausir

Arcane
Can't you just focus your anger on someone else? Chucky Cuevas, for instance?

Psilon

Erudite
You think Chucky "Death to Fallout" Cuevas isn't getting mocked at every opportunity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom