Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Age of Decadence interview leftovers at RPG Vault

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Age of Decadence; Vault Dweller

<A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com" target="_blank">RPG Vault</A>, in their continuing pursuit of the very worst in RPGs, have posted <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/716/716455p1.html>part 2</a> of an interview with notorious sex offender <b>Vince D. Weller</b> about his drug money laundering scheme, Age of Decadence.<blockquote>Vince D. Weller: The Age of Decadence is not the kind of game where technology matters. To some degree, it's a design choice. There is no shortage of fantastic looking games featuring physics, soil erosion, and photo-realism. There is, however, a shortage of games featuring fantastic gameplay... games like Darklands, X-COM, Fallout, etc. This is not to say that ours is such a game, but that's the direction and inspiration.</blockquote>Another fevered ego who thinks he's god's gift to video games. What's next? "Vince D. Weller is gonna make you his bitch"?

Rulion

Liturgist
I'm in England at the moment and decided to check on the Codex after not really reading up on it since Oblivion was released.

And all I have to say is: WTF? VD has a name now? I feel betrayed. I demand a legal name change to Vault Dweller. I mean, comeon. Vince? Is this short for Vincent? What's the middle name?

TOO MANY QUESTIONS NOT ENOUGH ANSWERS!

edit: So, I read the thread below. And then I reread the name. And then I realized I'm very slow. I'm going to cut myself now.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pity about the graphics. It might've been a good game if it had had some decent ones.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Fez lives on in our hearts..

or should that be arteries?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Rulion said:
I'm in England at the moment and decided to check on the Codex after not really reading up on it since Oblivion was released.
AGAIN? You still with that girl? :wink:

Rulion said:
edit: So, I read the thread below. And then I reread the name. And then I realized I'm very slow. I'm going to cut myself now.
:lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Why? Anyway, no, the order taking system hasn't been set up yet. Thanks for the thought though.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
To this end, we contacted the team and were able to make arrangements to interview the title's Lead Designer, Vince D. Weller.

VD - do they know that you gave them a pseudonym? They seem to present it as factual rather blithely.

They are inspired by old myths and Howard Lovecraft's stories.

A Lovecraftian influence? Now you have my attention. Does the influence extend into the larger plot and background story of the game, or is it limited to the non-human beings?

Vault Dweller said:
Why? Anyway, no, the order taking system hasn't been set up yet. Thanks for the thought though.

I just want some legal recourse to kick your ass if you don't deliver on this. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
SlavemasterT said:
To this end, we contacted the team and were able to make arrangements to interview the title's Lead Designer, Vince D. Weller.

VD - do they know that you gave them a pseudonym? They seem to present it as factual rather blithely.
Yes, of course. They know my name.

They are inspired by old myths and Howard Lovecraft's stories.

A Lovecraftian influence? Now you have my attention. Does the influence extend into the larger plot and background story of the game, or is it limited to the non-human beings?
Larger plot and background. Remember the summoned "gods"?
"Then the High Mages summoned [...] beings, which have no king and deign superiority to all that came before them. Moreover, immortality deifies them within the mortal domain, exalting them far beyond kings and champions."

Vault Dweller

Developer
No. There are no characters you can't communicate with. There are no "worm-dudes" either.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Graphics are fine for your purposes, better than Spiderwebs at least. If you want to invest work in it, I'd focus on two things:
- Liven up some of the textures, some are a bit bland, especially on large surfaces. And/or add some clutter.
- Give the actors a bit more lively stances - in several dialogue screens they stand very stiffly.

I am looking forward to explore your quests, I can tell you that. Good job on the interview.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
- Give the actors a bit more lively stances - in several dialogue screens they stand very stiffly.
Yep. We'll tweak it.

I am looking forward to explore your quests, I can tell you that. Good job on the interview.
Thanks.

Can we expect any codex celebs to make cameos?

Examples would be a beggar convinced he's the Sun God of Spine - Punching.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Despite the 'no-codex reference' rule, you've got to have some kind of comical villain called Rex, all things considered.

Maturity and seriousness in the game is all well and good, but I guarantee you increased sales if you stick that in there somewhere.

Twinfalls

Erudite
My one and only graphics suggestion: It might be worthwhile adding some 'transition' textures for where the green ground meets buildings, like the palace wall in this shot, to lessen the 'building lego-bricked onto ground here' effect. Even better might be adding some building textures that have green mossy bits, to the base of buildings like that.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Meh, for a short while I hoped we'd fight a writhing mass of tentacles at the end... I guess it'll have to wait for the sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom