Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 4 screens, info, and a new price

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 4; Spiderweb Software

Jeff Vogel has launched a site for <a href=http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge4/index.html>Geneforge 4: Rebellion</a>, featuring 3 brand <a href=http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge4/shots.html>new screens</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Shapers have the ability to create life, in any form they choose. Plants to grow in harsh wastelands, living tools that bow to their will, and powerful monsters to crush any who oppose them. They jealously guard their powers and destroy any who question their will.
<br>
<br>
Or so they did. Then the revolution came.
<br>
<br>
Some of their creations, tired of bondage, rose up. Jealous humans, wanting the powers of the Shapers for themselves, joined them. Now the lands of Terrestia are full of ruined, charred fields, and maddened mutant beasts, hunting for prey. There is war. And the Shapers are winning.
<br>
<br>
You are a rebel, given the power to craft life and sent to fight the Shapers. At least, that is what they told you to do. Will you fight your oppressors? Or will you be tempted by the incredible rewards they offer you in return for switching sides? You have the ability to steer history. What will you choose?
<br>
<br>
Geneforge 4: Rebellion has a huge and open storyline. You can choose among several sides, each with its own beliefs, fortresses, and quests. There are dozens of different endings. You can help the rebels, or fight them. Slay your enemies or use stealth and diplomacy. Become engrossed in the storyline or just go out and wreak havoc. No matter what you choose, Geneforge 4 offers an enormous adventure with plenty of replay value.
<br>
<br>
Geneforge 4 should be out in late 2006 for Macintosh and early 2007 for Windows. Prior experience with the Geneforge series is completely unnecessary to enjoy Geneforge 4. Geneforge 4 will be $28, or $34 with a hint book. System requirements: PC Running Windows 98 or later or Macintosh running System 8.1 or later, 50 MB free RAM, 150 MB hard disk space, 1024x768 screen resolution with 16 bit color.</blockquote>Sounds more and more generic, unfortunately.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Wizard

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Sounds more and more generic, unfortunately.

Since I don't know the series: Why do you think so? A rebellion where you can choose sides seems a lot less generic than the usual "kill the evil foozle" plot. It seems to be en vogue, though: Gothic 3 has a vaguely similar setting.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Comparing to very original Geneforge 1. Similarly the prison setting of Gothic 1 where the goal was to escape was very original (and I wish they stuck with that goal until the end, without forcing you to deal with the Sleeper), while the setting of G2 and the save the world thing was overly generic.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
There are dozens of different endings. You can help the rebels, or fight them.
Wow, that totally sounds like "dozens" to me.

The game probably will be good, as most of his games are, but it's gonna start feeling like eating chocolate cake everyday. I like chocolate cake, who doesn't? But eating it over and over again, it kinda loses it's flavor and attractiveness.

Spazmo

Erudite
Unfortunately, Vogel still isn't fixing the core problems with his games. That engine of his has long since run its course and needs to be replaced or at least improved in some more significant way than just improving the font. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone but hardcore Spiderweb fans would put up with such poor combat in such a combat heavy game.

bryce777

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Unfortunately, Vogel still isn't fixing the core problems with his games. That engine of his has long since run its course and needs to be replaced or at least improved in some more significant way than just improving the font. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone but hardcore Spiderweb fans would put up with such poor combat in such a combat heavy game.

Yeah, I just don't get it why he would not improve the game mechanics a little. That is where I would expect a game like that to shine.

I don't mind bland graphics, but an interface that doesn't suck would be nice, and far far worse, he obviously went to the bethesda school of game 'balance'.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Vogel's games have their fair share of problems, I admit they are starting to repeat themselves. On the other hand at least he/they don't pretend for anything much. Unlike such monsters as Oblivion, Titan Quest, etc ...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I have to agree with Spazmo's take. I think the problem with Vogel's games is that they are combat heavy and he's not improved the combat at all in any of them over the last few years. I think he could go a long way towards improving things by adding more melee attack types including things like tripping, disarming, and things of that nature. The only variety during combat you have are spells, and he uses the same spell set in nearly all his games.

Even some attacks based on Leadership and other skills would be interesting, like taunting, routing and perhaps a charm-like spell if the leadership is uber-high would be neat.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whoa, 150 MBs? That's thrice as much as Avernum 3 takes! What will he use the disk space for? Shiny new gfx? Doesn't seem likely judging from the screens.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
As I said, I agree that the combat is the weak point of the series, and could use an improvement. A huge one. But still the brand new take on the series (a full-scale war and a rebel's point of view) is a pretty good addition.

And remember that Vogel has improved some of the more minor problems of the games in due time. It took long enough, but ultimately he did something about them.

Psilon

Erudite
Elwro said:
Whoa, 150 MBs? That's thrice as much as Avernum 3 takes! What will he use the disk space for? Shiny new gfx? Doesn't seem likely judging from the screens.
It's probably including a swap file. Before the Avernum 4 betas I had no idea that a DirectDraw game could exhibit low framerates on a machine with 1.5GB of RAM and a GF6600.
Then again, maybe Jeff's adding more background sounds than just drip-drip-drip and electrical buzz.

Azarkon

Arcane
Anyone know a rough estimate of how many customers Vogel typically has?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Azarkon said:
Anyone know a rough estimate of how many customers Vogel typically has?

I believe 4000ish has been thrown out there by Vogel in some article. Not too shabby all thing considered.

On Geneforge 4, I was a big Spidersoft fan but I can hardly work up any enthusiasm for his last couple games. Too much already been here and done that feeling when I played the Geneforge 2 demo. This is all coming from a huge Avernum 1-2, Geneforge 1 fan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom