Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks about NWN2 at Eurogamer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://eurogamer.net>Eurogamer</a> has scored a <a href=http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63757>NWN2 interview</a> with <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/>Obsidian</a>'s Feargus Urquhart:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>One of the core things we tried to do was try to give more things for the player to do and be interested in rather than just go and kill something. How we've done it is via the companions, but we've also done it by... well, one of the things we tried to do is to make things about the player.</blockquote>Feargus, you smooth-talking devil, you.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>For example, at the start of the story you're in West Harbour. In the second part, there's an invasion of the village by these extra-planar beings and the whole village pushes them off. And eventually you discover they were there for you.</blockquote>Right! The Chosen One strikes again.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>At the end of the battle there was a giant explosion, and what had happened was that the sword of the commander of the Githyanki basically explodes. And shatters. And not just shatters so there's a piece underneath the desk... but scatters across the planes. What you find out is that there's a piece in you, which is why these people are all after you.</blockquote>I can't believe what I'm reading.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It makes the story and the world seem more real...</blockquote>No kidding.

Voss

Erudite
So is Obsidian hiring writers, or are they really this sad?

Oh, you edited out the bit that mentions that the sword explosion happened when you were a baby, long, long ago. (Or not so long if you're a half orc, or really long ago if you're an elf, which makes for a great timeline). And you've been carrying sword bits since you were a wee sprog.

Well. It seems the justification of all this is that their people can't write 'traditional fantasy' without cranking out the text of Lord of the Rings. So random weirdness that makes little sense = tah better!

And by the way, making 'things about the player' doesn't mean railroading the player into a lame-ass plot that you have to deal with. Particularly when it boils down to 'kill the people who randomly keep attacking you for no apparent reason, suddenly find out why they are attacking you, and assemble the 4? (5?) artifact pieces'.

Joy.

Jora

Arcane
Voss said:
And by the way, making 'things about the player' doesn't mean railroading the player into a lame-ass plot that you have to deal with. Particularly when it boils down to 'kill the people who randomly keep attacking you for no apparent reason, suddenly find out why they are attacking you, and assemble the 4? (5?) artifact pieces'.
A strong main plot is needed to keep the player, or at least me, motivated. Morrowind is a good example of this.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
This is the Waterdavian creatures scandal all over again... except with shiny pieces of metal instead of fucking critters.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I don't think this is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I don't see how this compares in the least to the ridiculousness of being a level 1 pussy in an 'Adventurer's School' who is expected to save Neverwinter, and is conscripted into doing so if he declines. I don't really think this sword shard is a big deal in the list. It seems more like a MacGuffin than anything else, and I'd prefer that to most of the plots dealing with heroic deeds expected of level 1 characters.

Edit: Unless of course you have to find some of the other pieces, then it's kind of retarded.

Azarkon

Arcane
Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but the Chosen One plot has to do with predestination, whereas this approach seems more in the line of being in the right place at the right time - a circumstantial, rather than prophetic, narrative. For one thing, while it's certain that the Githyanki are after you to retrieve their commander's sword, that says little about *your* choices. In a Chosen One plot, you *must* follow a specific path because your path is preordained; if Obsidian chooses, NWN 2 could offer alternatives.

I don't think it's the same. Take the Fallout storyline, for example: are you the Chosen One because you picked the short stick? Note the difference between a plot that starts you off with a hook and a plot that tells you what you must do. Fallout starts you off with a hook: you're the guy they sent out to look for the water chip. NWN 2 does the same: you're the guy with a shard of a Githyanki artifact stuck inside your body. It doesn't say where you go from there, whereas a Chosen One plot will.

I can understand the stigma against the " U R SPEC1ALl" cliche, but it does make for a tighter narrative. A game where the player is completely unremarkable often suffers from a lack of direction. There is usually *some* aspect of your character that ties him or her to the plot, and you might as well argue that RPG characters are necessarily special. The difference, as always, lies in the implementation.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
But I betcha the game is like totally unlinear, because you can collect the pieces in any order. And you can collect them because you are evil. And you can also collect because you are good. That's where those moral decisons kick in.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Vault Dweller said:
But I betcha the game is like totally unlinear, because you can collect the pieces in any order. And you can collect them because you are evil. And you can also collect because you are good. That's where those moral decisons kick in.
Well, you can collect them for monetary reward if you are evil, while you do it for reputation bonuses if you are good. It's so much more complicated than you think!

Sheriff05

Liturgist
OK What the fuck???? Why in the name of fucking Hell can't these fucking assholes, just once make a game where you are just a regular joe and CHOOSE to get involved in said EPIC PLOT. Why are you always railroaded with some fucking stupid "your the spawn of bhaal", "you!, yes, you asshole- are the choosen one" , or "I got a piece of gith metal stuck in my ass!" bullshit. I can't wait to read about how this piece of Gith Metal gives you all these "special powers". what a fucking load of shit. not mention what in the fuck do Githyanki has a rats ass to do with the "Shadow King" AKA Larloch- the uber lich lord??? I can wait to read that genius crossover!!!. Whoa I thought Bioware could write some unbelievable horseshit!!. Its insane that there is so much quality literature in the RPG /PNP world they could by for a song and these fucking dipshits choosewrite this dreck. Fuck them and short bus they rode in on!!

VD get your fucking game done already before I blow someone brains out!

bryce777

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

Or you can collect them because you are bored. You don't get to say which one til the very end, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why in the name of fucking Hell can't these fucking assholes, just once make a game where you are just a regular joe and CHOOSE to get involved in said EPIC PLOT"

That's exactly what the OC is. You weren't special in the OC.. just another adventurer.

As for NWN2, yeah, the overarching plot is nothing but making you 'special', and the 'chosen one'.

That said, what will make the story good 9or bad) is the quality of characters, interaction, and choice not the main plot. Afterall, the main story in FO wans't anything special as you were the 'Chosen One' there too.

LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Micmu

Magister
You'll have to collect 4 missing pieces of Magnet Of Asspicking and then use it to pull the piece out of your ass.

Volourn said:
Afterall, the main story in FO wans't anything special as you were the 'Chosen One' there too.
You mean FO 2.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
In Fallout you were "chosen" by the Overseer to go find the chip, which obviously makes you a "chosen one" just like a "role playing game" is any game where you "play a role."

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"
That's exactly what the OC is. You weren't special in the OC.. just another adventurer.

Not in my version, in my NWN OC I was forced into a room where I annointed "the choosen one" by some white haired bitch who I was forced to defend. then I was forced to jump thru automated hoop after hoop to save Neverwinter. no choices, only lame lnear BS with the worst writing ever.

BG 1 was 10 times better, worst part about that was you were the Child of Bhaal which didn't become a stupid puke fest until BG2, at least in BG 1 all the encounters and enemies were realistic.. the potential of battling Larloch in NWN 2 is moronic. He's so unbelivably powerful that he is going to have to be stupidly nerfed for the game. he's a horrible entity to choose and the main antagonist in a crpg.

Anyway dumfuck, being the choosen one in Fallout was abit different, IMO..even if theoretically it's same thing the game didn't play out like you were some railroaded dumbass. FYI, the I thought choosen one shit in FO2 was lame too, but it went away fast and never came up again, leaving it a pretty good game.

I am so fucking glad that as infrequently as I post here my very presence , even after all these years, forces you to pull out of whoever's anus your currently waist deep in and come running -how linear of you.

Jora

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
In Fallout you were "chosen" by the Overseer to go find the chip, which obviously makes you a "chosen one" just like a "role playing game" is any game where you "play a role."
In NWN2... we don't even know if anyone asks the player to go to lord Nasher. Obsidian has continuously tried to emphasize the fact that the player isn't noticed until he's made himself known.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
even if theoretically it's same thing
No, it isn't theoretically the same thing. The "Chosen One" bit has a specific literary definition. Being "chosen" by someone to do something doesn't make you a Chosen One with capital letters. If I told Volourn to fuck himself, would that make him a Chosen One? If I sent you to the store to buy some milk, would that make you a Chosen One?

Jora

Arcane
Gothic, Fallout 2 and Throne of Bhaal are the only Chosen One RPGs I can remember. In Arcanum it's left for the player to decide.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Actually, I could think of worser stories.
I think it really depends what they make of it, either if its "your teh chosen one and you must collact all the sword pieces to save the WORLD!!!!" or if the main story line is about your HC trying to safe his life, escape from the ones who try to get this sword peace inside you and eventually get rid of it, without all this saving the world stuff.

Unfortunatly I think they gonna stick with the first, but hey, there is always hope...

Sheriff05

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
even if theoretically it's same thing
No, it isn't theoretically the same thing. The "Chosen One" bit has a specific literary definition. Being "chosen" by someone to do something doesn't make you a Chosen One with capital letters. If I told Volourn to fuck himself, would that make him a Chosen One? If I sent you to the store to buy some milk, would that make you a Chosen One?

What's your point? ( other than to up your retarded 6 month post count)
I don't think it's the same thing either. I only said that to diffuse whatever horseshit Volourn comes back with. He's bound to say, ""Oh noes! its the same thing cuase,...blah blah, drool ,some shit, blah you're a moron, roofles" or the like.
actually, I DO get your point! Volourn is the "Choosen One" in that Special Ed, March of Dimes kind of way.

I see a huge fucking difference between the moronic railroading in Biowares shit versus the Fallout games.

Jora

Arcane
Sheriff, the Shadow King in NWN2 is not Larloch. No-one knows who he/she/it is.

Zomg

Arbiter
It can still be a good game even with this dumb high fantasy plot, but it doesn't help matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom