Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Legends of Eisenwald

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Aterdux Entertainment; Legends of Eisenwald

Somewhere in Eastern Europe, there is a country called Belarus that is totally not a part of Russia. There, a studio called Aterdux Entertainment has been working on a medieval Strategy RPG Legends of Eisenwald, now out of Early Access and available on Steam. It took them more than three years to release the game after the Kickstarter they did in early 2012 (promising the late 2012 release date), so is it any good?

Esteemed community member sser is here to answer that question and generally tell you all you need to know about the game.

12560.png

The full review can be found here, but first, have a snippet:

Legends of Eisenwald is a solid game.​

There, now go ahead and read the full thing instead of just basing your judgment on a random snippet. In contrast to my ramblings here, it's really well-written, to the point, and deserves to be read in its entirety.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Legends of Eisenwald

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Nice review, sser! Been lurking the Eisenwald thread for a while and the review is very informative and sticks to the point. Guess I'll end up playing this game at some point, but no rush.

EDIT: also, "first into the fisting"! Cuz CB is 2fast4me.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Well, it wasn't written by Roxor.

And this game wasn't announced as "the Baldur's Gate that never was". With balance.

Rarely are you far off from a holy man’s healy hands. As far as actual healing goes, the system does suffer from a very classic issue: if I have characters that can heal, why can’t I heal after battles? What I ended up seeing are a few battles where, after the fighting was all said and done, I actually began skipping turns as much as possible to let my healers heal everyone up, and then ended the fight. Legends of Eisenwald is not uniquely labored by this problem, but I always felt flaws like this showed a lack of foresight in game design. Eh, maybe that’s just me though. (Whenever the topic is discussed I tend to stand straight up like the Manchurian candidate and proclaim my robotic defense of Dragon Age’s auto-healing so maybe I’m the one with real issues.)

Could be solved with having short term battle healing resources and long term healing resources which work only outside of battle. Maybe would it work even nicer if battle heals could be used outside of combat with some bonus to effectiveness (it's easier to heal when nobody tries to kill you), but this would lower the chance to react to the changing battle dynamic(by having resources deployed).

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
PoE is a pretty low bar, Alex...
Well, I'd wish we sold half as much as them :)

Could be solved with having short term battle healing resources and long term healing resources which work only outside of battle. Maybe would it work even nicer if battle heals could be used outside of combat with some bonus to effectiveness (it's easier to heal when nobody tries to kill you), but this would lower the chance to react to the changing battle dynamic(by having resources deployed).
We were going initially to have global spells but we dropped them because the game got too big for us to handle. I am not sure what we do next and honestly don't think it's that great of a thing to do. There is gold, you can heal. What does it add to the gameplay? It's like potions in some way...

KingDoofus

Scholar
Lurker here, but enjoy the game and the review. I started the game on normal then switched over to a harder difficulty; one thing I would add is that on tougher settings, prep decisions that don't seem to matter much can suddenly have an enormous impact. Moving a unit over a couple spaces to focus on a certain enemy or switching from a high damage axe to a low damage spear can be the difference between winning and losing (but yeah, prep is still where most strategy is). Also, all units on the map outside of the player's control (ally or foe) seem to gain a set amount of experience every day. Another huge point of strategy becomes deciding which enemies to go after before they get too strong and getting your own experience so that your party doesn't get outpaced by the rest of the map. And so far, I have steamrolled nobody.

Great job!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great to see your review out sser ! This game is a bit different in style to our normal CRPG fare and that's a good thing. The industry could use some injections of new ideas.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm not sure how I feel about the combat. It seems.... weird. Also the whole idea of starting over from scratch in a bunch of territories isn't appealing to me. Other than that, it look slike a very solid Expiditions: Germany clone. I'll probably pick it up at some point now that it's actually finished. Once I've worked through some of my backlog at least. The grimdouchebag writing for your protagonist looks fun. :D

I'll just have to find a stream or let's play where I can see the combat in action.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Not often a codex review that has me laughing out loud a few times. It gives a nice rundown too. Kudos:salute:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Now that's a review that would be nice to get from press: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971640510/recommended/246760/, posted in our socials:

If one of those bigger budget game companies released a game as well written and storied as this, they would get full 100% reviews louding them as the new "planescape torment". It's really that good. Even moderately good recent RPGS like Divinity, Wastelands2 etc, have'nt on staff any writer even half as talented as whoever wrote this game and its characters.

This is one of those rare gems so full of style, atmosphere, character, story... This is exactly what gaming really needs. The more you play it, the more it reveals itself to you as a deep setting, with a rich story and very deep characters that any other developer would envy.

At first I thought negatively of this game because of it's enormously lackluster combat mechanics. Yes, they are really simplistic and bad, forcing the same kind of repetitive mindless grind every single time. But this game is so much more.
GET IT!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Now that's a review that would be nice to get from press: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971640510/recommended/246760/, posted in our socials:

If one of those bigger budget game companies released a game as well written and storied as this, they would get full 100% reviews louding them as the new "planescape torment". It's really that good. Even moderately good recent RPGS like Divinity, Wastelands2 etc, have'nt on staff any writer even half as talented as whoever wrote this game and its characters.

This is one of those rare gems so full of style, atmosphere, character, story... This is exactly what gaming really needs. The more you play it, the more it reveals itself to you as a deep setting, with a rich story and very deep characters that any other developer would envy.

At first I thought negatively of this game because of it's enormously lackluster combat mechanics. Yes, they are really simplistic and bad, forcing the same kind of repetitive mindless grind every single time. But this game is so much more.
GET IT!
Duh, get a few million dollars on ad avenue and your game will be the new Citizen Kane. It works for AAA publishers, you know, we all know how they make moving stories about batman breaking some criminal bones, I heard on the last batman there is a scene where batman gets in doubt if he should break the face of a thug or not and gone on a monologue "to hit" or "not to hit", it moved Polygon journalists so hard that they gave 10/10 on tears, it was quite emotional, some people are even talking that sequence will manage to make Batman Arkham Knight win the best written game of 2015 award from Fallout 4. Some Polygon journalist was so moved that he said not even if Bethesda kills that dog from the trailer it will manage to be more emotional, true story.

skyst

Augur
I was able to play this game recently through the first territory and really enjoyed it, I will certainly be purchasing it once I have the free time.

Aterdux really should consider releasing a demo, however. $30 seems a bit of a steep cost to go in blind. Especially since the game is a lot more fun than it seems from just watching a video or screens.

edit: Duh - fantastic review, sser. Very readable and informative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom