Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

alkeides 2.0
alkeides 2.0
Did you tweet something to him he didn't like?
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
I didn't even tweet to him. I was tweeting to Mary Beard - a historian of Roman times - in support of her, saying that her opponents should address her ideas rather than attack her as a person. Taleb is a known opponents of hers, may have seen the tweet in the thread, and blocked me.
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
I am guessing that is what happened, because several people in Beard's thread mentioned being blocked as well after posting. I don't get why the man is so impatient and angry with anyone not fully on his side.
alkeides 2.0
alkeides 2.0
Yeah he gets pretty butthurt
alkeides 2.0
alkeides 2.0
It seems like even though he blocked Beard he's still monitoring the discussion. Pretty petty.
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
If you are a nobody on Twitter, you are just seen as a guy saying bullshit. But once you get lots of followers, you become some "figurehead". And the way for a figurehead to get more visibility is to knock down some other popular figurehead. So at some point, it's not a place to discuss ideas, but a place to win a reputation by knocking some other person down.
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
Taleb - it seems - is obsessed with his idea of bolstering his status as a Twitter figurehead, by blocking out any potential opponent to his thinking, and by making personal attacks on intellectual opponents in order to bring down their reputation.
Johannes
Johannes
"I was tweeting to Mary Beard - a historian of Roman times - in support of her, saying that her opponents should address her ideas rather than attack her as a person. "

Why would u support a dumb lying hag like her?
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
Johannes I agree the whole black people in Rome thing is bullshit, especially since it conflates North Africans with Africans.

What I saw wrong was to attack Beard as a charlatan, or to attack her academic credentials. Beard simply stated that Rome was fairly cosmopolitan, having had Syrians and Numidian Berbers in high positions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom