Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Agesilaus
Agesilaus
What do you want to achieve by studying Classical Greek or Chinese texts? I think you can do both, but if you must pick one over the other then I need to know your reason. If it's for purely philosophical reasons, and you can only pick one, then I vote for Hellenophile.
hivemind
I was mostly just curious which culture you feel more "positive" about since I have seen you express an interest in both.
Severian Silk
Chinese texts are so dominated by Confucious, unless you go back to pre-Imperial China.
Agesilaus
Agesilaus
Oh, that's a tough one; I feel pretty positive about both. I could definitely break it down subject by subject, though.

If you're into those military tactics manuals like Sun Zi, then the Sinophiles almost win by default. Other than Aeneas Tacticus, I can't think of a single 5th/4th century Hellenic tactics manual that has survived.
Agesilaus
Agesilaus
If you're into rhetoric manuals and examples, though, then the Hellenes win pretty handily. The Chinese have a few good texts (the Han Fei Zi contains a chapter on it), but the Hellenic works are more detailed, polished, and numerous. More importantly, we also have large number of authentic speeches still extant today; I'm talking about the 10 orators. I don't think China can really compete in this category.
Agesilaus
Agesilaus
There are other examples, and they are closer in other categories, but those are two that immediately came to mind. Also, this stupid thing won't let me post more than x number of characters per post.
fanta
fanta
Better an Europhile, which is to say, a Medievalist.
hivemind
How sufficient do you think English translation are when studying ancient Greek/Chinese stuff ?
Agesilaus
Agesilaus
Chinese: it can be difficult to obtain English translations for some texts, and the quality can be shitty. It's not that big of an issue, though. I can read/write Modern Chinese, too.

Greek: English is fine; there's a long history of translations. I studied a bit of Ancient Greek but I'm pretty shitty at it; I only use it now and again to read quotes or see which specific word was used at an important point.
majamaja
majamaja
become a Tungusicist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom