Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Quake Games Suck

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
BTW, reguarding Q2 vs Q3 as far multiplayer goes, i'd say Q3 had the advantage of looking a lot of more colorful. I haven't played Quake 2 multiplayer for over a decade, but what i remember the most from the maps is that everything was orange lol.
I love Quake 3, but the grenade launcher physics suck. The grenade launcher in Quake 2 was one of the best weapons, and in Quake 3 it is practically useless.
GL in Q3 is quite strong in high level play.
That's one of Q3's greatest strengths: The weapons are all unique, extremely useful and well-balanced in the right situation.
Then there's movement of course.
The perfect arena-shooter.

Naraya

Arcane
I've always been a big fan of shooters and I have been going back and playing old school ones lately. I recently played quake 1/2 with a friend on COOP and they are dogshit! I enjoyed plenty of other games from this era, but these games are not fun at all. I want to shoot guys, not do some lame puzzle that makes me backtrack through entire levels. Soundtrack sucks, enemies are boring/annoying, level design sucks, and the weapon variety is very poor. Does anyone else feel this way?
No. The only one who sucks is you :smug:

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
did quake 3 even have any sort of singleplayer campaign? no, i will not look it up.
Well, there are 8 tiers, introducing the maps and bots.
It's basically there to get you started.
Once you beat nightmare, you can start to git gud. :>

Yeah, I really like how Quake 3's weapons. Love to shotgun poor fuckers that used trampolines and got slowed in mid air.
Yeah, or shooting a fucker with poor map control in the face when he comes around a corner.
(I primarily played duel)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Never played halo, I always thought it was some retarded game for extremely mentally challenged amerimutt teenagers
I never played Halo because, despite me liking the Myth games and even like Oni on the PC, of that whole XBox exclusive shit. The second that came out, I stopped paying attention to Halo entirely. I still have yet to play a Halo game. I hold similar grudges with Epic Game Store exclusives.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Never played halo, I always thought it was some retarded game for extremely mentally challenged amerimutt teenagers
I never played Halo because, despite me liking the Myth games and even like Oni on the PC, of that whole XBox exclusive shit. The second that came out, I stopped paying attention to Halo entirely. I still have yet to play a Halo game. I hold similar grudges with Epic Game Store exclusives.
Halo 1 and 2 got PC releases. And now MCC is on Steam so you can play through the good Halo games. It is made for amerimutt teenagers but it's the best vehicle + on foot sandbox ever made and deserves a play through. Story fags like 2, Gameplay fags like 3, everyone hates 4 and beyond.

Beans00

Erudite

I liked the halo games for what they were. Mostly for the multiplayer and co op. I'm going to assume Ol' Willy was too poor to afford an xbox(was xbox even released in russia?)? Not like you really missed out on much but if you think quake 4 was a good game you really need to play some other FPS.

Except for halo 1(which had a good pc port a year or so later) they basically are pure console games. Halo 2 had a really shitty windows vista port. I only got my xbox in 2005, I originally played halo 1 on PC. They all got released on pc a few years ago with the MCC. Multiplayer is still active today.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
if you think quake 4 was a good game you really need to play some other FPS.
Like I said, this kind of shocks me considering it was made by Raven. If Raven can make a good FPS out of Star Trek: Voyager, I don't see how they could do any wrong.

Beans00

Erudite
if you think quake 4 was a good game you really need to play some other FPS.
Like I said, this kind of shocks me considering it was made by Raven. If Raven can make a good FPS out of Star Trek: Voyager, I don't see how they could do any wrong.

They made the jedi outcast and academy games, which were awesome right before quake 4. Quake 4 literally feels like a tech demo, much more than doom 3(to compare since it used the same engine 1 year earlier).

JDR13

Arcane
I thought Quake 1 was pretty cool. Everything that came after was kind of meh unless you're into multiplayer.

If they do make a new Quake game, they need to go back to the atmosphere of the original.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They won't. It'll just be MUH SLAYER RIP AND TEAR with MUH MYTHOLOGY AND DEEYP LORE except with Quake guy instead of Doom guy.

baba is you

Educated
The Doom reboot and Eternal emphasize RIP AND TEAR in-game, and the constant reuse of lines from the Doom comics is kind of funny. I don't know why Marty and Hugo made this decision.

Quake doesn't have those comics and mods, so on the bright side, maybe... I think it could be a Lovecraftian setting and atmosphere similar to Quake 1.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The Doom reboot and Eternal emphasize RIP AND TEAR in-game, and the constant reuse of lines from the Doom comics is kind of funny. I don't know why Marty and Hugo made this decision.

Quake doesn't have those comics and mods, so on the bright side, maybe... I think it could be a Lovecraftian setting and atmosphere similar to Quake 1.
This poor man doesn't know what lovecraft has been warped into. A "modern lovecraftian setting" would be a bunch of mutts cursing a white man who accidentally a fishman.

Ryzer

Arcane
I liked the halo games for what they were. Mostly for the multiplayer and co op. I'm going to assume @Ol' Willy was too poor to afford an xbox(was xbox even released in russia?)? Not like you really missed out on much but if you think quake 4 was a good game you really need to play some other FPS.
lmao consolefag
6th Gen consoles weren't bad.
Everything that came afterward was dogshit however.

Beans00

Erudite
I liked the halo games for what they were. Mostly for the multiplayer and co op. I'm going to assume @Ol' Willy was too poor to afford an xbox(was xbox even released in russia?)? Not like you really missed out on much but if you think quake 4 was a good game you really need to play some other FPS.
lmao consolefag

I always had consoles and pc.
My dad got a used commodore 64(which I was too young to use) in the early 90s. We had a shitty dos computer then windows 95 in maybe 1996 or 1997.

For the most part I generally prefer PC games. Shooters are better on PC but I can play them on consoles. I was really into racing and sports games, both suck on pc(unless you have a good pc controller). Platformers also suck with keyboard and mouse. Some people can do it but I can't lol.

FYI my family was really poor until I was around 10 so I know how it feels willy. Then we went from ~35-40k household income(for 5 people lol) to like 150-200k within 2-3 years. So I had around 10-11 consoles and we had a pc in almost every room of the house.

Ryzer I would agree with that. We ended up owning a 360(2007), wii(2008) and I got a ps3 to play sports and racing games later on in like 2012(our 360 died). The 7th gen really was full of generic duds. Blockbuster used to sell 360 games for super cheap, so I probably bought like 70-75 of them in highschool since I was working part time. I can think of an endless number of shitty boring unplayable games, especially shooters on that console.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Old boomer shooter autists will endlessly bitch about halo for the 2 weapon limit and scripted events.
I for one bitch about the shield regen. I just hate that "game mechanic" so much in FPS because it's strictly worse than the alternative.

Beans00

Erudite
I for one bitch about the shield regen. I just hate that "game mechanic" so much in FPS because it's strictly worse than the alternative.

I agree for the most part. I generally think health pickups, especially with a system like fear has where you can hold 10 first aid kits. Is a much better system.

That being said, it's a futuristic game where you're a doofus super soldier running around in a full body combat suit. It never bothered me thematically as much as regening health in call of duty(for example). Also halo 1 has a health system under the shield. From halo 2 onward they did away with that.

Ryzer

Arcane
I remember the time back during the 6th Gen when there was no loading screen, no mandatory update to download, it was simple plug and play the damn game on gamecube and PS2. The games all opened with a beautiful intro.
It was also the last gen when games were hard in terms of difficulty. You needed to deserve it to finish the game.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
lmao consolefag

I always had consoles and pc.
My dad got a used commodore 64(which I was too young to use) in the early 90s. We had a shitty dos computer then windows 95 in maybe 1996 or 1997.

For the most part I generally prefer PC games. Shooters are better on PC but I can play them on consoles. I was really into racing and sports games, both suck on pc(unless you have a good pc controller). Platformers also suck with keyboard and mouse. Some people can do it but I can't lol.

FYI my family was really poor until I was around 10 so I know how it feels willy. Then we went from ~35-40k household income(for 5 people lol) to like 150-200k within 2-3 years. So I had around 10-11 consoles and we had a pc in almost every room of the house.

Ryzer I would agree with that. We ended up owning a 360(2007), wii(2008) and I got a ps3 to play sports and racing games later on in like 2012(our 360 died). The 7th gen really was full of generic duds. Blockbuster used to sell 360 games for super cheap, so I probably bought like 70-75 of them in highschool since I was working part time. I can think of an endless number of shitty boring unplayable games, especially shooters on that console.
The last console I had was PSone. After I got a PC I have never remembered that consoles ever exist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom