Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hades II - roguelike dungeon crawler sequel

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I am both hype because Hades is a fucking 10/10 masterpiece but also kinda disappointed because I think sequels are kinda lame
Just started playing, and I don't get the praise. Its a competent roguelike, but not ourlandishly great. Is it waifufags digging the VN aesthetics and characters?

Ivan

Arcane
I am both hype because Hades is a fucking 10/10 masterpiece but also kinda disappointed because I think sequels are kinda lame
Just started playing, and I don't get the praise. Its a competent roguelike, but not ourlandishly great. Is it waifufags digging the VN aesthetics and characters?
-the character work/writing gets a lot of praise, I myself never got tired of saying hi to Cerberus
-it has this Persona element where you're encouraged to deepen your relationships with the NPCs, which is a great hook b/c of the writing chops + production values with the portrait art + VO
-level design gets old pretty fast though, so the story elements def help carry the game IMO

Jinn

Arcane
Found the first game to be a decent 6.5-7/10ish. Never understood the immense hype and praise. The action gameplay was pretty good, but level design was near non-existent, progression was barely satisfying, and the gameplay loop got stale incredibly fast. It was kind of a fun take on Greek mythology, but that would be the greatest strength in terms of story.

I don't have an ounce of excitement in me for this sequel, and will probably never play it. I think Super Giant's only truly good game was Transistor. Massively overrated studio.

Elttharion

Learned
Presentation was the games greatest strength and even that aspect was a question of taste. I didnt like almost all of the character designs personally. I also found the first game pretty mediocre overall. There are far better roguelites out there.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Agreed, I just got this on the cheap too and I'd say it's definitely worth £7. The mechanical execution is fun, and there's enough of a "hook" to keep it interesting. It undeniably looks quite nice.

I think the hype was a relative thing, as in a toilet will look like a great drink in the middle of a desert.

Lemming42

Arcane
I never cared much about any of the characters or the plot (and I found a couple like the floating Medusa head thing to be very cynical in a "let's include the most cutesy thing imaginable to get internet people going crazy" type of way) but the game was just great fun, constant feeling of momentum and progression. I don't recall any of the characters being outright annoying though, they're all just very obvious archetypes that you've seen about ten trillion times in other media (and make that a hundred trillion if you've ever read fanfiction).

iirc the only problem I had was that there was a certain upgrade from one of the pomegranates or whatever that made you heal when hitting enemies or something like that, which trivialised the game. I reached the surface on like my second ever run thanks to it and from that point on it was just a case of waiting for that to come around again, though the same is true of overpowered upgrades in pretty much every roguelite.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I like how the shield completely trivialized the first game.

Sadly, we'll probably never see such an OP weapon in the series ever again.

Mortmal

Arcane
No, it's just that the bar is set very low. Anything reasonably fun will receive high praise because there's absolutely nothing else being released, and great titles are rarely seen. The same thing happened with Helldivers 2.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
After having spent a fair amount of time with the game now, I think it's safe to say that this game has more content in EA, than Hades 1 had on 1.0 release. Did not expect the EA to be this comprehensive, but glad to be proven wrong.

Game is very much a sequel that doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel, instead focusing on the strengths of the first game and do more of the same, just a different flavor. If you didn't particularly like the first one, you probably wont like this one either. Seems to be a bit more challenging this time around, with a bigger focus on ranged attacks and spells, whereas Hades 1 was mostly about melee combat. Writing is still a bit comical in nature, I never was a big fan of it.

I do find it kind of hilarious how they managed to release 1 full game and now dropped another in Early Access in less time, than it took Team Cherry to still not release anything remotely playable for Hollow Knight 2, which was announced around the same time as Hades 1 EA released.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even the R34 for this is awful. Irredeemable art style.

Also not an RPG
The developer considers it an Action RPG:

Title: Hades II
Genre: Action, Indie, RPG, Early Access
Developer: Supergiant Games
Publisher: Supergiant Games
Franchise: Supergiant Games
Release Date: May 6, 2024
Early Access Release Date: May 6, 2024

And as we're all aware, in Current Year, RPG Codex considers any game an RPG if it identifies as one. :M

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After having spent a fair amount of time with the game now, I think it's safe to say that this game has more content in EA, than Hades 1 had on 1.0 release. Did not expect the EA to be this comprehensive, but glad to be proven wrong.

Game is very much a sequel that doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel, instead focusing on the strengths of the first game and do more of the same, just a different flavor. If you didn't particularly like the first one, you probably wont like this one either. Seems to be a bit more challenging this time around, with a bigger focus on ranged attacks and spells, whereas Hades 1 was mostly about melee combat. Writing is still a bit comical in nature, I never was a big fan of it.

I do find it kind of hilarious how they managed to release 1 full game and now dropped another in Early Access in less time, than it took Team Cherry to still not release anything remotely playable for Hollow Knight 2, which was announced around the same time as Hades 1 EA released.

Yeah, this don't feels like an EA game except some placeholder art. I only seen really little bugs now, nice to see a polished release nowadays, even more in a EA release.

I like how the shield completely trivialized the first game.

Sadly, we'll probably never see such an OP weapon in the series ever again.

There is an axe with blocking specialty. Haven't used it yet but can be similar albeit not OP as the shield .

Baron Dupek

Arcane
why is this RPG section
everything is RPG now
GNJSJ72XoAArcUX

tritosine2k

Erudite
Hipsterz got ahead with pretty 2.5D and mundanified it with saturated colours and DUMB AoE skill mechanics.This can not stand

Just Locus

Educated
Was thinking of picking this game up until I realized it was early access, not paying 30$ to EVENTUALLY get a good game.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Was thinking of picking this game up until I realized it was early access, not paying 30$ to EVENTUALLY get a good game.
To be fair, it's a good game already, it's just not finished. Something you won't notice until ~20-30hours in if you're experienced in Hades 1, likely more if this is your first entry. Unlike most Early Access games, this one actually gets a lot of content out of the initial price-tag, which is a rarity these days.

koba

Barely Literate
I have bad taste and some extra money, so I got early access. It's more of the same of the old game, nothing game changing and, honestly, that's a good thing. Gameplay loop is addictive and to me, at least, is the justification to shilling out $30. I skip the cutscenes because I can't stand the way everyone speaks in these games. Haven't seen the dating sim aspects yet, but I'm only 5 hours in. It could be a lot worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom