Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Free Stars: Children of Infinity - upcoming Star Control 2 sequel from Fred Ford's Pistol Shrimp Games - Kickstarter Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming up on the podcast - MRY: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4084113

Channel 44 Showcase​

Did you know that during the development of Children of Infinity, we started a video podcast series called Channel 44 on YouTube? The Ur-Quan Masters was an inspiration for many other game developers, too! We chased them down (virtually) and spent time talking about games, game development, science fiction, and anything else that struck our fancy.

All of these are freely available for anyone who's interested in the stories behind development or who wants to know a little more about some of our fellow creators. We just announced our final batch (for now!) of episodes along with their release dates, which will run through the Kickstarter campaign:
  • April 23rd: Charlie Cleveland from Unknown Worlds (Subnautica, Natural Selection, Moonbreaker) - originally streamed live
  • April 30th: Freehold Games‘ Brian Bucklew and Jason Grinblat (Caves of Qud, Sproggiwood) - originally streamed live
  • May 7th: Massive Damage‘s Peter McLaren and Gary Seto (Halcyon 6, Star Renegades)
  • May 14th: Mark Yohalem from Wormwood Studios (Primordia, Strangeland, Fallen Gods
If you want to just listen on your favorite podcasting platform, we also provide these as part of the Pistol Shrimp Podcast series, which also includes audio interviews with original UQM team members Paul Reiche III, Erol Otus, and George Barr.

We are appreciative to find such a long list of game developers who had something to say about The Ur-Quan Masters. You may have even played some of their games too! We're not only thankful for their time talking with us, but we're happy we can showcase their incredible selves and work for all of you.

We hope you enjoy listening and getting to hear stories behind so many games. Be sure to subscribe on YouTube to get these when they go live!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fred and Dan chat with Charlie Cleveland about Subnautica, Natural Selection, and his leadership at Unknown Worlds. They discuss the influence of The Ur-Quan Masters, and fun is more important than game balance. Charlie highlights the power of multi-linear storytelling, early access, and getting player feedback as soon as possible. Hosted live, on Twitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4084567

Stretch Goal Unlocked: Local Co-Op Gameplay​

We just hit our tenth stretch goal: Local Co-Op Gameplay!

dc2cd6f8787c6d7480659f1f5a53ec78_original.png

With Local Melee Gameplay already met, this means we'll have resources to implement the more technically challenging but exciting feature which will let two players experience the Adventure mode cooperatively, side-by-side in real life. Because our game supports dropping in and out of a game at any time online, the local co-op experience will be similar. Having fun and want someone to join you? Hand them a controller (or if your keyboard can handle it, make some room at your desk) and let them jump in!

We separated this one out from Local Melee Gameplay because designing the experience to work nicely just as we described above will take some work even though our technology can support it. There are considerations for things like UI and how to handle menus for multiple players on the same screen, for example.

Next up is Bonus Languages, which may seem small, but is something we want to provide for our large, international community. If we meet it, we will let backers vote on which three languages we should tackle to help more players who read different languages access our game.

Thank you, again, for the tremendous, overwhelming, awesome support! Keep spreading the word, and we'll keep hitting our goals!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some lore about the fate of the Ur-Quan in this game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088507

Familiarization Brief: The Ur-Quan Volunteer​

New Alliance of Free Stars Joint Command: Procyon II - Earth - New Gaia. New Alliance of Free Stars Badge.

Familiarization Brief: The Ur-Quan Volunteer​

Prepared by Alliance Military Intelligence Division, Department of Xenoanthropology​

Reports from beyond the Great Arrow indicate the expedition has come across a fascinating discovery: a lone Ur-Quan Kzer-Za, identifying itself only as “Great Master,” has initiated contact with the flagship commander and has requested permission to join the expedition fleet. The Kzer-Za has informed the commander that it wishes to “observe” the progress of the mission and the command decisions made during its course. Though unusually loquacious for its kind, the Kzer-Za has refused to elaborate further about the specific observations it wishes to make, or the true purpose of those observations.

The Kzer-Za’s explanation for its presence is that it “volunteered” to seek out the expedition, and that the Ur-Quan adherence to the twin doctrines of “The Path of Now and Forever” and “The Eternal Doctrine” are no more—indeed, that the doctrines themselves have been completely abrogated. The Ur-Quan Volunteer intimates that the Ur-Quan are collectively seeking “a new way,” and that the expedition commander’s actions will somehow aid them in finding that way.

Fascinatingly, the Kzer-Za has offered its Dreadnought starship for use in expeditionary fleet defense. This represents a singular opportunity to gather first-hand technical data about the weapons of what was once our greatest foe. Alliance Joint Command recommends the expedition commander accept the Kzer-Za’s offer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Steam page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088099

Free Stars: Children of Infinity Steam Page​

Today, we just launched our Steam page for Free Stars: Children of Infinity!

If you're here, you already know this game is coming to Steam along with other storefronts thanks to your support. However, if you're not already here, this is one way we can help more people learn about our forthcoming game and potentially reach more people. That means more people can discover our amazing community endeavor, we could have an even more successful Kickstarter, and we might reach more stretch goals!

If you're a Steam user, please wishlist the game and feel free to share it with your friends.

We will be resuming our much more fun content updates as the week continues, but wanted to share this exciting step with all of you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Fred and Dan chat with Freehold Games about Caves of Qud and making an independent game that stands out. Jason and Brian share their love of classic space games, epic science fiction worlds, and the creative appeal of retro games. Hosted live, on Twitch.

0:00 - Theme Music
0:14 - Introductions
3:42 - Classic space games
7:30 - Making The Ur-Quan Masters
11:30.- Writing and character design
15:10 - Making a sequel
22:00 - Super Melee and combat
39:30 - Caves of Qud and tile-based gameplay
48:35 - Game controls
55:53 - Accessibility in a niche
1:08:25 - Multiplayer design
1:17:17 - Modding and player feedback

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nano-scale alien race: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088670

Debrief Extract: The Nanobe​

75226510de09242ff548e380199e3656_original.png

Report from Non-Organic Tissue Sample Lab​

1st Lt. Varna, H:
You want a list? Okay, fine: quantum tunneling means no long-term metastability at that scale, so no time or opportunity to develop sentience. There's no chance for any kind of macrostructures to form, because particle interactions at fermion-scale don't work how they work here, at person-size. And the perception of time is relative too, remember?! Even if they are alive, there's no chance we'd be able to conduct any kind of meaningful communication with them. We share no common frame of reference!

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
... Great, are you done? Is that the whole list, or you got more reasons why this can't be happening?

1st Lt. Varna, H:
I have so many more reasons.

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
File them in a report. Meanwhile, the impossibly tiny nanobe that isn't supposed to be able to exist is insistent that we communicate with it... and it says it's got a gift for us.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Genetically engineered something: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4089677

FleetCom Log: Alien DNA Research​

FleetCom header image looking like a computer interface.

FleetCom Log: Alien DNA Research​

SCIGEN LAB AUDIO TRANSCRIPTION​

VOICE 1:
I've never seen anything like it. Quad-helix DNA, eight bases, and seriously—look at the structure. It's like it was designed to be easy to work on!

VOICE 2:
Designed? You think these puppies are, what—bespoke? Somebody's extraterrestrial science project?

VOICE 1:
Maybe. I'll tell you what these puppies aren't: they aren't a product of natural evolution. Not anymore, at least. Someone primed the uplift pump here, practically left a roadmap for what to do next.

VOICE 2:
Captain's going to love this.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

1st Lt. Varna, H:
You want a list? Okay, fine: quantum tunneling means no long-term metastability at that scale, so no time or opportunity to develop sentience. There's no chance for any kind of macrostructures to form, because particle interactions at fermion-scale don't work how they work here, at person-size. And the perception of time is relative too, remember?! Even if they are alive, there's no chance we'd be able to conduct any kind of meaningful communication with them. We share no common frame of reference!

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
... Great, are you done? Is that the whole list, or you got more reasons why this can't be happening?

1st Lt. Varna, H:

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
File them in a report. Meanwhile, the impossibly tiny nanobe that isn't supposed to be able to exist is insistent that we communicate with it... and it says it's got a gift for us.

Paul: "We need a microscopic species for our new Star Control-game."
Fred: "Another one? There's already the Xchagger-"
Paul: "The who?"
Fred: "From Star Control 3-"
Paul: "We didn't make those."
Fred: "And the Pinthi from Origins-"
Paul: "Quiet! The settlement even forbids us from speaking of that game!"
Fred: "Right. <pause> So, why does it need to be microscopic?"
Paul: "There's so much potential in that angle, that sheer scale of size difference. The jokes, the puns, the 'Science!'-element to it."
Fred: "Uh-huh. <thinks> Hey, instead of microscopic... why don't we go smaller than that?"
Paul: <pause> "Duuuuude!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4089703

Stretch Goal Unlocked: Bonus Languages​

We just hit our eleventh stretch goal: Bonus Languages!

Stretch goal reached! Bonus languages. 3 aliens speaking silly alien dialects.

This means we'll be adding three additional localizations the community votes on! At a later time, we'll provide a list of options for everyone to select from, and backers can rank the ones that they'd like to see the most. For those of you already comfortable playing games in English, French, Italian, German, or Spanish, you are contributing to our ability to reach even more players with our game and give back to different communities which kept UQM alive. This is truly a "fan vote," too, which we were excited to do with your support. Thank you for making it happen!

We're in the final stretches of our stretch goals, and we have received many passionate messages from players for our next one: Console Ports. We know this one is a bigger reach, and we'd still love to make it happen. Look forward to a few more exciting updates as we work towards that, and thank you for your continued support. Go forth, and gather allies to help us hit that next goal!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I did a little digging into what stuff will be in the game.

# They claim every ship from Star Control 2 will be in the game, except the Slylandro Probe. What they forgot to mention is whether they meant just ships from the base game, or the unused Star Control 1-ships as well, which are available via the game's Super-Melee.

# Two new ships have been shown, one literally looks like a flying opening flower petal, the other has the placeholder name 'Immortal Dead Lachrymist' and fires two white searing lasers.

# Super-Melee will have more gameplay options. Multiplayer beyond two players, a Horde-mode (sadly not based on their eponymous game) and more.

# Speaking of multiplayer, want to explore a planet's surface with your friends? That's included.

# In "Story Mode" it doesn't appear as if you have a big fancy mothership to fly in, but that may be something yet unrevealed. But you do get upgrade trees for the ships in your fleet.

# Modding is enabled for the game out-of-the-box.

# Plenty of in-built accessibility features (including Cyborg Mode) or having another player fight the space battles for you! (I know one guy who'll jump at that.)

# To quote: "There are no additional DRM measures, beyond what first parties like Steam require. There are no licenses, microtransactions, or subscriptions. This is not a game as a service, and the multiplayer does not rely on any servers that could disappear in the future. You can play offline or locally on a network with a friend, and you can mod it to do whatever you can imagine.

We can make this promise because we rely on no proprietary code except what we author ourselves. We respect you as a player and you’re not supporting the Crimson Corporation."

# Capybaras are included in the game, for some strange reason. (I hope that's not their version of the Ortogs.)

# English voice-overs are a very high stretch goal, because they want to do it right and have the proper funds for it. As a failsafe, remember the modding-friendly nature of the game. Do YOU think you can voice a Spathi?

Finally there's this image, which I'm only including because of Infinitron:

6be1403d20c7a1e22d384221e8ef2db4_original.png

I'm going to allow myself to say it: I'm stoked for this game. It's an odd feeling to have because I haven't had it in several years now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

1st Lt. Varna, H:

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:

1st Lt. Varna, H:

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:

Paul: "We need a microscopic species for our new Star Control-game."
Fred: "Another one? There's already the Xchagger-"
Paul: "The who?"
Fred: "From Star Control 3-"
Paul: "We didn't make those."
Fred: "And the Pinthi from Origins-"
Paul: "Quiet! The settlement even forbids us from speaking of that game!"
Fred: "Right. <pause> So, why does it need to be microscopic?"
Paul: "There's so much potential in that angle, that sheer scale of size difference. The jokes, the puns, the 'Science!'-element to it."
Fred: "Uh-huh. <thinks> Hey, instead of microscopic... why don't we go smaller than that?"
Paul: <pause> "Duuuuude!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4094527

The Art Behind the Aliens: The "Nanobes"​

What would an alien look like if it was as small as the smallest things in our universe? What instruments would you use to communicate with it? How would it express itself? And what would it want to communicate?

17027d2ba292cce02356492aa162b685_original.png

Those were some of the questions we asked when making our aliens codenamed "The Nanobes". We have a special behind-the-scenes interview with Robert Mauritson, our artist who created them, detailing the entire process from beginning to end and how we arrived at the finished piece. If you enjoyed our little, mysterious snippets about each of our aliens, check out the full story of how these aliens came to be on YouTube.

061392079eeeb9f5eeb8b0a409a58e43_original.gif

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4086253

Ship Art Showcase - Classic Ships​

When our development began on Children of Infinity, before we even had any Adventure experiences like HyperSpace, we started making ships and the Melee experience. We knew there was a story to tell, but proving that our technology and gameplay would be fun was our first stop. I suppose we are still faithfully following in our own footsteps from before The Ur-Quan Masters too. Or we just keep making the same game over and over! The beating heart of Children of Infinity is a cast of memorable, differentiated characters. They express themselves in some cases almost entirely through their ships.

Lineup of ships: Spathi Eluder, Shofixti Scout, Arilou Skiff, Supox Blade, Umgah Drone, Ur-Quan Dreadnought

For the classic Ur-Quan Masters ships, we want to take something that was presented as only a handful of pixels and create a version which not only is immediately recognizable as the ship you remember, but also something that the fresh eyes of a new player would still be drawn to. We're balancing your memories and past imagination with our own artistry and our ability to explore how those ships might express themselves today. These aren't remakes of the ship, and they're not re-imaginings, either. They're somewhere in between.

Most importantly, they all need to capture that sense of character. Early on, we explored trying to make ships almost entirely in 2D, so we could retain some of the handmade feeling, charm, and colors of digital art made with that approach. We produced some interesting results, but it was ultimately too much effort and difficult to diagnose problems when using some of our technical tricks for making them seem 3D.

Lineup of ships: Yehat Terminator, Druuge Mauler, Chmmr Avatar, Pkunk Fury, Earthling Cruiser, Ilwrath Avenger

Our production ship artist came to us after finding our development streams, sharing his concept of an Ilwrath Avenger (seen above, rightmost) as their own art. We worked together to convert it into to a real ship in-engine with our unique 2D/3D hybrid workflow which fits our need of making many, many ships. After that success and a few more commissioned pieces, we brought him on to do all our ship art.

He works on interpreting, not just re-creating, our old ships, sketching or referencing concepts in both 2D and 3D. When it comes time to assemble the 3D model which we eventually convert into a piece of 2D art, we work together to make little tweaks in both the mesh and material treatment to get a desired effect: the merging of "it's that ship we remember!" combined with "and it's even cooler than we imagined!"

Lineup of ships: Melnorme Trader, Kohr-Ah Marauder, Mmrnmhrm X-Form, Mycon Podship, Orz Nemesis

The Kohr-Ah Marauder (seen above, second from left) was one of the more difficult ones that took more iterations. With a lot of room for interpretation and so many different elements which used to just be left to the imagination, walking our line between re-make and re-imagine took us some more time. What shape should it be? It needs to be dark and scary, but now we have a lot more pixels we can make dark and scary. Which details should we elaborate upon, and which parts are better left vague? On the other hand, ships like the Orz Nemesis (seen above, rightmost) needed less detail, and made us want to lean more into a specific vision, with its manta ray like surface and shape being the highlights.

Beyond just the ship artwork, modern technology gives us opportunities to create fun, new, and colorful effects for them to go along with the static art we're creating. Even the meager Shofixti Scout gets character in motion with the glow of a thruster.

Shofixti Scout with thruster flying through space

And an Ilwrath Avenger that truly cloaks is a whole new kind of terror (extra fun in netplay!).

Ilwrath Avenger flying through space while cloaking and uncloaking

We can even do unique animations for certain ships where we didn't have an opportunity before, like the Mmrnmhrm's X-Form transformations.

Mmrnmhrm X-Form transforming back and forth into its alternate Y-Form

We've come a long way since the DOS era, when there were strict technical limits even on how many colors we could use. We like the vibrant visuals of the time, and we still want our space to feel like the colorful, diverse setting we all imagine and not just become drab, gray, or generic sci-fi. We want you to be excited to imagine yourself in the cockpit of these ships, controlling something cool, fun, weird, scary, or all of the above. The art carries a massive responsibility here, but it's far from just being a static thing to look at. The goal is always to serve the player's experience: these ships are toys we're making for players to play with, and fun comes first!

We hope you enjoyed this first part of our ship art showcase. The next part will highlight some of our new ship art, showing processes we use to reach even further with wild, new ships that will inhabit the Free Stars universe alongside the classics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Dan talks about game design with Peter McLaren and Garry Seto of Massive Damage, creators of Halycon 6 and Star Renegades. The duo share their insights on designing sci-fi concepts, building an indie studio, and the influence of The Ur-Quan Masters.

0:00 - Theme music
0:14 - Introductions
2:26 - UQM and Super Melee
12:48 - Alien dialog
16:37 - Creating alien races
26:42 - Building an indie studio
35:16 - Revitalizing retro game concepts
44:27 - Contrived vs. authentic remakes
55:50 - Games growing with their audience

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The inclusion of the Mmrnmhrm ship fills me with hope that all the SC1 and SC2 will be included (sans the Slylandro) but it's curious to see the ships that have not been shown yet.

The Thraddash
The Utwig
The Androsynth
The Zoq-Fot-Pik
The Chenjesu
The VUX

Most probably they're still just "in development".

And then there's all the new ships on top of that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4095707

Announcing More Pledge Tier Slots, New Pledge Tier, and Bonus Digital Keys​

We are excited to announce additional slots for certain limited backer tiers, a new tier, 2x digital keys for higher tier backers, and the ability to add on more digital copies.

Additional Slots​

Additional slots will be made available starting tomorrow, May 9th, at 9am PDT due to overwhelming demand. We are opening 16 more Design a Lander Skin slots and 8 more Design a Creature slots.

New Pledge Tier: Private Playtest & Design Tutorial​

We are adding a new pledge tier: Private Playtest & Design Tutorial, at $3,000 USD, available immediately. This will include everything from the existing Private Playtest and is for backers who want to make their own ships. We know how many people want to design a ship which we implement, but our game and team can only hold so many! Let us help you learn to bring your own designs to life. You’ll be taught how we make ships, get help making one from the team, and get your own private playtest of Super Melee with the ship you made and the team. You can even mod it in your copy of the game or distribute it to others online as you wish. A truly bespoke benefit, and a clarification for the previously-titled Modding Membership Club!

2x Digital Keys for Digital Founders and Above​

We previously described our error including 2 keys in the Digital Founder’s tier and attempted to amend it by simply giving 2 keys to only that tier. We understand that some backers were still confused, since it seemed to penalize the other physical tiers unnecessarily. We will clarify further: everyone backing at the Digital Founder's ($100 USD) tier and above will receive 2 digital keys on the platforms of their choice. We are simply grateful for your support and feel this is the easiest answer. Our FAQ and reward graphic will be updated to reflect this, though the itemized rewards of those tiers will still say 1.

Digital Add-On Keys​

Many people have requested additional digital copies so they can play with their friends, kids, partners, or pets. All backers can now include additional keys for the platforms of their choice as an add-on at $30 USD.

All digital keys will be available for any platform, and you may mix and match keys if you wish. One Steam key and one GOG key, for example. If we create a digital console release, you will be able to request keys for those platforms as well.

Thank You!​

Thank you for all of your support and feedback. We’re doing all of this because you asked and are supporting us! Please let us know if you have any questions, and let’s hit those final stretch goals together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom