Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

ciox

Liturgist
I also remember Vince lamenting picking up the Torque engine and that it was an endless source of pain. He also said in 2008, I think it was, that he'd have all the combat systems done that year, seemingly being optimistic about releasing the game somewhat soon. Final release was in 2015.
Why did they pick a pain in the ass engine that they're not experienced with? The result is better than the pic you posted but I can't but wonder.
What the fuck else was there back in 2008 you dumbfuck zoomer?
The situation wasn't great, but Unity was already around in some form and Unreal Development Kit became available for the public in November 2009. There is no form of torture in the world that could make me use Torque 3D.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I also remember Vince lamenting picking up the Torque engine and that it was an endless source of pain. He also said in 2008, I think it was, that he'd have all the combat systems done that year, seemingly being optimistic about releasing the game somewhat soon. Final release was in 2015.
Why did they pick a pain in the ass engine that they're not experienced with? The result is better than the pic you posted but I can't but wonder.
Not a zoomer, I'm just not a gamedev nerd and I wasn't even into RPGs back then. Being unnecessarily aggressive doesn't make you more knowledged, don't act dumb.
Kindness is a rare commodity around here. After 8000 messages, I believe you know that very well
Lol kindness. This Turk somehow earned ignore. And that's an achieviement.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I like the new map.
Started a bit late, as I'm generally short on time for gaming, so only recently finished my first playthrough.
I didn't like the map screen before, but do like that I can now see where everything is which I was wondering about before

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The situation wasn't great, but Unity was already around in some form and Unreal Development Kit became available for the public in November 2009. There is no form of torture in the world that could make me use Torque 3D.

Because by that time we had the all the game systems done in TGE, you can find the combat demo from 2009. Transitioning to T3D was easy, and we focused on content from that point on. Switching to another engine would have been starting from scratch. It was a shitty engine, but by that point we knew how to get around its quirks. Early Unity or UE weren't great either back then, or at least, they would have brought other issues to deal with.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Doesn't it just grind your gears, that a project like CS is so worthy of a AAA budget, yet is painfully underfunded and full of troubles and bad luck, and companies still churn out COMPLETE garbage AAA shit games with millions on the budget?

Starfield? Diablo 4? Why are clueless management and seemingly devs always at the helm of big budgets and promising franchises?

Imagine... just imagine if Vince and his team had like 50 million in the bank, and what kind of game would COULD have gotten (and what we got is already amazing)... its just... fuck man. WHY!? is the world unfair and fucked.

Anyway, I *STILL* have't played this game yet, becuase I want my first experience to be as good as possible, and Vince and his team has already improved the game with patches and more coming in 2024, it's great.

I'm edging on, delaying my orgasm until who knows at some point 2024 when the biggest content patches of CS are done and released?

Let's put a SMILE on that face.
Yeah well maybe if Vince had a creative vision like Starfield devs did he would get funding. Bethesda decided to not include aliens in a sci-fi space setting, Vince doesn't have the guts to stand by an idea that bold. :smug:

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah well maybe if Vince had a creative vision like Starfield devs did he would get funding. Bethesda decided to not include aliens in a sci-fi space setting, Vince doesn't have the guts to stand by an idea that bold. :smug:
You can have sci-fi without aliens and be successful. Look at Dune, for example. Another example could be Isaac Asimov's body of work. But it is certainly harder to execute well than having sci-fi used as window dressing for fantasy races or slightly reskinned humans (Asari?).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can have sci-fi without aliens and be successful.
You can have sci-fi ABOUT aliens WITHOUT aliens and be immensely successful. Look at Three Body Problem.

If it wasn't the currentyear and Hollywood was still populated by talented and capable writers instead of being knee-deep in a stinking diversity goo the adaptation would've blown everyone's gaskets off.

Harthwain

Magister
You can have sci-fi ABOUT aliens WITHOUT aliens and be immensely successful. Look at Three Body Problem.
I am aware and I agree. But I was talking specifically about sci-fi without aliens whatsoever in that particular instance as TheDarkUrge seemed to mock the idea of sci-fi without aliens.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
You can have sci-fi without aliens and be successful. Look at Dune, for example. Another example could be Isaac Asimov's body of work. But it is certainly harder to execute well than having sci-fi used as window dressing for fantasy races or slightly reskinned humans (Asari?).
Dune would be 100% way better with aliens that's why warhammer makes bazillions of dollars

Harthwain

Magister
Dune would be 100% way better with aliens that's why warhammer makes bazillions of dollars

:notsureifserious:

Anyway, the point is that you can have a sci-fi setting without aliens and still be successful. How much more you can be successful if you have aliens is another matter entirely. You can also flop regardless of whether you have aliens or not in your sci-fi. It is all down to execution at this point (and not just the setting, but the game itself as well).

S.torch

Arbiter
and companies still churn out COMPLETE garbage AAA shit games with millions on the budget?
Corporations releasing trash that flops and loses billions of dollars has been the standard for almost a decade now. Every year there's at least a dozen or more movies, games, and TV series with a budget on the hundreds of millions flopping and being mocked by everyone. You would think at this point that would be enough to sink these incompetent assholes. But no, because public traded companies exist in a void where nothing is real, and these loses can be easily disguised. And then there's the whole safety nets for megacorpos: generous loans never asked to be returned, funding from parent companies, moving debt to your subsidiaries, government funds to the poor little guys who happen to be rich.

Meanwhile if you're indie you're on your own. No magic money conjured from thin air, no fat paycheck every month for +10 years for sitting on your couch. It's all about WILLPOWER, EFFORT and GRIT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom