Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Those aren't good numbers for a AAA game these days, unfortunately. This may be the last we ever see of Dragon's Dogma. It's all thanks to retarded faggots trying to play the game on outdated hardware and whining about the most trivial micro transactions imaginable. May they all drown in piss.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Those aren't good numbers for a AAA game these days, unfortunately. This may be the last we ever see of Dragon's Dogma. It's all thanks to retarded faggots trying to play the game on outdated hardware and whining about the most trivial micro transactions imaginable. May they all drown in piss.
My very outdated hardware was somehow perfectly fine for Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3.
All of these games look much better then DD2.
There's no logical reason for DD2 to run like shit.

Learn to code and finish your game before you release it, FFS!

abija

Prophet
The pathfinding in DD2 is probably more advanced than any tech in the games you mentioned.
The last part is also funny in the context of that game list.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My very outdated hardware was somehow perfectly fine for Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3.

I agree they deserve the criticism, but not the overblown hysteria that could kill one of the few interesting franchises in AAA gaming nowadays.

Every dishonest and raving critic deserves to only play soulless polished corporate woke turds.

No one will review bomb all the real offenders making gaming mediocre and boring nowadays. They deserve all their Ubi soft copy paste and Clown World abominations.

Dyet

Novice
Do they? DD2 seems to be a bit uneven in its visuals, but I'm pretty sure the asset quality and lighting are generally clearly better than Elden Ring's and Witcher 3's (the 2015 release, I don't know about the remasters with RT or whatever the fuck else there is).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

The game is out for a mere week. I'd say those numbers are fantastic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man i miss Bitterblack Isle sheaningans where could find yourself dealing with 3 drakes spamming curses and spells on you and at the same time horde of eliminators was on your ass. It was stupid but also pure chaotic fun, especially when you started to spam bolide and everything went boom.
Uh, there can be moments like that in this one. I don't want to spoil anything, but I've gotten into chain aggro situations that were at least as brutal as anything I saw in BBI.

DD2 also has better exploration than in DD1. At one point I was on an unexplored narrow mountain trail, at night, in the rain. So I couldn't light lanterns, there were no campsites anywhere near me and I couldn't see shit, like where the cliffs edges were. That was harrowing and not an experience you get in many games. The closest thing I can think of are old blobbers that only allowed rests and saves back at the inn.

Zariusz

Arbiter
DD2 also has better exploration than in DD1. At one point I was on an unexplored narrow mountain trail, at night, in the rain. So I couldn't light lanterns, there were no campsites anywhere near me and I couldn't see shit, like where the cliffs edges were. That was harrowing and not an experience you get in many games. The closest thing I can think of are old blobbers that only allowed rests and saves back at the inn.
I know that area, sadly it seems like its the only place in whole game where such rain can happen. Exploration is somehow leagues better but at the same time its worse in regards of rewards, unique equipment is very rare and quite often is already available to buy in nearby settlements and its mostly potions, money, and other junk like that.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Also i found many short caves with some ancient looking gates blocked with rubble, are those places going to be available during endgame or NG+?

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Good coders work in finance or tech. Why would you work in game dev and have lower pay, no job security and on top of that crunch?
Same thing with writers ((narrative designers)).

Barbarian

Arcane
I have killed so many goblins!

Anyway exploration was fun in the beginning but it gets old when you realize every hidden cave or dungeon has generic loot and the same enemies. It is weird that they bothered to design such a detailed map with so many hidden optional places... but then forgot to make it worthwhile for you to explore it.

Sure you will end up with a lot of wakestones and etc but who cares.

Reinhardt

Arcane
every hidden cave or dungeon has generic loot
probably not generic but random, with pool of available itmes for each chest if it's anything like first game. you can get some shitty bag of gold from this chest or best weapon for this stage of the game.
we won't know for sure until later with more data accumulated.

mediocrepoet

Patron
every hidden cave or dungeon has generic loot
probably not generic but random, with pool of available itmes for each chest if it's anything like first game. you can get some shitty bag of gold from this chest or best weapon for this stage of the game.
we won't know for sure until later with more data accumulated.
There are some uniques also like in the first game. Either way, I've never found this to be a very loot driven game series. It's more about exploration and adventure imo and it delivers it excellently.

Barbarian

Arcane
There are some uniques also like in the first game. Either way, I've never found this to be a very loot driven game series. It's more about exploration and adventure imo and it delivers it excellently.

Does it? I mean once you realize the caves are similar as well as the enemies.

Fun for a good score of hours but it begins to get old fast. I'm feeling like rushing the main quest now.

Dyet

Novice
Also i found many short caves with some ancient looking gates blocked with rubble, are those places going to be available during endgame or NG+?
Someone here said that some people clipped through them and that they appear to be cut content

mediocrepoet

Patron

Does it? I mean once you realize the caves are similar as well as the enemies.

Fun for a good score of hours but it begins to get old fast. I'm feeling like rushing the main quest now.
That's fine, but for reference, I've probably played DD1 for over a thousand hours over the years and view DD2 as a significant improvement. Currently haven't finished my first run in DD2, sitting at something like 85 hours so far.

So yeah, I think it delivers.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I just found a leftover from layered armors, there is face mask found in north eastern Vermund called prowler handkerchief, you can use it together with any helmet and it has no upgrade slots like capes.
So there is base for having many different slots, i wonder if there is a chance that those lazy fucks will reintroduce it in the future.

Reinhardt

Arcane
started collecting badges of vows in dd to waste some time until forgery guy finish his work. after collecting ~30 i can confirm - i still hate jumping.

bought character edit service. made my arisen even worse by making skin color even lighter. now i look like i have come seeking the light... need to kill dragon asap to edit it again.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just because it's not good, doesn't mean its bad
It's decent, its's adequate for what kind of game DeS, DS1 and DS2 were
But it's not good
Uh, no.
We are just spinning our wheels at this point. We simply can't agree on basic statements so there's very little we can productively exchange.
So what, there's no middle term for you?

mediocrepoet

Patron
I just found a leftover from layered armors, there is face mask found in north eastern Vermund called prowler handkerchief, you can use it together with any helmet and it has no upgrade slots like capes.
So there is base for having many different slots, i wonder if there is a chance that those lazy fucks will reintroduce it in the future.
There's a helmet slot and a mask/face slot that covers shit like kerchiefs and glasses. Doesn't work with certain helms that have a facial component.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I mean once you realize the caves are similar as well as the enemies.
Alot of the caves play into navigation as they connect to other parts of the map
Plus they even the more generic ones, have smart encounter design

As for enemies it's as already been said previously in the thread, DD2 enemy design is all about making each enemy feel distinct to fight against
The downside is a lack of enough quantity to make each region feel distinct

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom